It's time...

GoldenMotor.com

chriswf

Apr 16, 2011
Plano, Texas
Well, I've saved up a tiny bit of money, I've read the crap out of every law related information that pertains to these motorized bikes. And I've read these forums front to back.

This is my first post. My name is Chris. I have a few bikes, me and my wife bike on nature trails... But I came across an old Dyno GT, 20" bike.

I've been looking around, and very few people use 20" bikes it seems. Seems most people, use MBs.

This is the exact bike I have, minus this guys custom paint he did... I still have the original paint job/stickers.

I want to use this frame bad. I ALWAYS wanted a Dyno when I was a kid, then when I finally came across one, I already had a 200-300$ Hoffman...
I'm worried if the Dyno will limit me on what engines I can use. But notice how the frame splits into 2 or 3 poles before the seat? Possible mounting spot?! Eh eh?

I've been looking into the Harbor Freight 2.5HP engine for a few reasons...
A: Weight
B: Horsepower
C: SUPPOSEDLY a reliable engine.

The few things I'm really looking far, are probably what everyones looking for when they make theirs... And that's- cost, dependability, and... Well that's about it for me :p
So is this HF 2.5hp engine dependable? I read reviews online, sounds like TONS of people even off these forums are using this engine. Some guy even stuck it on a go-cart, but he said at 40mph it fell apart.

I don't want to go 40mph, but 10-15mph uphill would be nice (without it breaking).

Work is 1/2 a mile away. So 1 mile daily use. Maybe more for cruising. There's a good hand full of people in my area who are riding these. By area, I mean - as I'm driving my car to work, there's a 50% chance I'm going to see one (or get stuck behind one if I'm in the right lane).

Plano cops have got to be ignoring them here in Texas. I've been seeing these for about a year now, and as I talk to coworkers, other people are seeing them too.

I want to be this guy:
cvlt1

I can probably fabricate anything I need, to make this work... Even if I use a rack on the back. Although I'd prefer it to be stealth between my legs if possible.
So whatcha think? 2.5hp HF? Or are there better china kits you'd suggest for the cost?

Ps. I'll be posting all my progress here even if I complete it in a day... I like pics, hope you guys do too.
(I'm frequently on forums, whether it be for my car, future cars that I want, or now bicycle forums :p)

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I too live in Texas, down in the Brownwood area, the cops here are very cool with my bikes so far, they just look and sometimes even wave or give me a thumbs up with a smile, this has been nice so far.

Now to the "stealth" you mentioned.......that is gonna be a hard one to accomplish with a 20" bike of that style frame, I dont know of any engine that will fit inside the frame, they are just too small, I also plan to build up a 20" in the future but I plan on going with either an engine mounted over the rear tire or most likely I'll build a pusher trailer, there are a couple other options that can be done but either of these will work the best IMHO.

A simple pusher set up with the HF 2.5HP might be a very good way to go, if you dont mind the tag along set up of the trailer, or just build you an engine mount behind the seat and put a 28T -30T Sprocket on the rear wheel and you should have a nice 30+ MPH cruising 20" bike, that little 2.5HP 4 stroke engine is gonna be about as quite and stealthy as it gets.

The only way I can see you mounting an engine in frame would be to cut the frames lower tube and then fabricate another tube that angles more straight forward from the cranks and then sharply angles back up to the steering neck, this would not be that hard to do if you have the tools for it, this would be a very cool set up but the bike would be severely alterd, but in a good way if you really want an in frame engine on it.

To keep the bike in it original form, I say go with the pusher and Disguise it as a cool looking bike trailer, get a 16" rear wheel from a kids bike and put a 60T sprocket on it with a rag joint and then drive it with the 2.5HP HF engine with a centrifical clutch and a #41 chain, this might make a neat little set up that could be made to look like a pull behind trailer and could actually be used for toting a few lighter things around like a 6 pack of "bokes or ceer" in a small cooler........!

Just some of my thinking on this, I hope whatever you do works out great..... Good Luck

here is a link to pushers that could be improved on and also a link to a very fast set up too.

YouTube - Gas powered Bike Trailer

YouTube - engine powered bike trailer = moped

YouTube - Leo83bmx's Channel

YouTube - ELECTRIC STARTER PUSHER BIKE

Peace

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
a friction drive mite work on the back, would probably require some modding to make it work.

as for inframes, you said you can probably fabricate anything you'd need.

i know that bike well, its an older style GT performer, i had one for a long time, great bike. but i can tell you for sure no HF or chinagirl motor will fit in the frame.

you mite want to look in the DIY section and make a weed eater, it will let you cruise around 15-20 on flats, you'd have to help pedal up hills to get that speed but it wouldn't be too bad.

weed whacker motors are small enough where it mite work, i know it has been done, although i'm not sure how reliable they were or much of the details.

good luck.

chriswf

Apr 16, 2011
Plano, Texas
Okay okay... Uhm. I won't do it in frame then.

I want to do it on a rack though.

I find that I may need to go over a curb or two, I don't want to have to drag a trailer over it. Regardless of flexibility.

So 2.5HP from harbor freight is best?
I've read a million opinions... Just wanna make sure before I make the purchase tomorrow.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Well, after all the stuff I said earlier about the pusher trailer I will agree with all the others who have said rear rack set-up on that bike..........!

I plan to do rear rack myself on a Tandem for the wife an I to cruise around together.

I guess since the pusher is my next adventure personally, I just have it strong on my mind and I'm quick to bring that arangement up!

How ever you do it just think it through and make it strong, good luck and I hope you have that thing zipping down the street ASAP.

Peace

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
Okay okay... Uhm. I won't do it in frame then.

I want to do it on a rack though.

I find that I may need to go over a curb or two, I don't want to have to drag a trailer over it. Regardless of flexibility.

So 2.5HP from harbor freight is best?
I've read a million opinions... Just wanna make sure before I make the purchase tomorrow.
thing is that motors gonna be pretty big compared to the bike it self, i think it would make for an awkward rack mount.

bicycle engine kit, bike engine, bicycle engine, bicycle motor in the past he said he'd sell me a GT50R and rack along with everything i may need for $300, not sure if its still his asking price, but its only 49ccs, much smaller and lighter, i would think its better suited for your bike, he claims 4.2hp, idk if i really believe it though, but for what you said you want and what you're doing i'm sure it would have more then enough power.

just my thoughts....

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
Where do I get this specific coupon? Or do I just tell them the code? Right now the engine is 79$!!! That's the cheapest I've seen it so far!
at check ou they should ask for a coupon code, the code is 20TOOL, if it still works, they're phasing out the gray hound motors, that's why they're so cheap atm.