Disabled/Elderly Tricycles, Overland Park KS

GoldenMotor.com

LawyerLynn

Aug 24, 2009
Kansas
Greetings, one & all! I've been reading posts for a couple of hours now. This is a great forum.

My name is Lynn Roberts and I'm a disabled lady in Overland Park, KS. I'm working on a design for
a basic, motorized (Honda 4 stroke), adult trike, mainly for the disabled & elderly market.

The first trike will be a prototype, to eventually produce & market. However, I don't want to
just produce & sell these trikes ... I'm actually designing a complete business system for
building this basic trike.

Here in the USA, and everywhere in the world, actually, "freedom & liberty" is hanging by a
thread. Runaway government regulations, laws, wars, fraud, schemes, bailouts, takeovers, failures, etc., all chipping away at our lives, from all directions. During the 80's, I went to agriculture school
in rural missouri. Then in the 90's, I went to law school & opened a regional practice in SW
Missouri & SE Kansas. In the 80's, with the start of "made in China", I saw plant after plant
close down. Shoes, equipment, clothing, mills, toys, everything shutting down, right & left.

I vowed to never buy "made in China" & I've stuck with it 99%. Now I'm disabled & not
practicing law. Instead, I'm working to help people understand the danger we face as a
nation (or, on a global basis, as FREE PEOPLE) ...

When the march towards "cheap" goods began, I knew those goods were not less expensive. I
knew they were much, much more expensive than any American-made products, even if
American costs more. And today, we can see that the bargain of cheap China, was no bargain
but just another scam on the People. The true cost was the destruction of our manufacturing
base, and the increase in power for China (brutal totalitarian gov).

Parallel to the destruction of our means of living & producing income, we've seen a staggering, almost overwhelming increase in the government control of EVERYTHING. (Now, they want to
completely takeover & control our health care. If that doesn't scare you, please wake up. Yes,
health care is expensive & needs 'reform' - but, one of the main reasons it's expensive is due to
gov interfering. Excessive rules & regs increase price, and favor big insurance companies. Gov
created crisis, now they want to fix it. I could get free care at VA, but I either self-pay private doc or I do without. It's horrible. Today I saw an article that they may have infected 11,000 people
with HIV, Hep C & Hep B - by failing to sterilize colonoscope tools. WTF?!) sorry for the sideline,
but it's relevant, here's why:

WE THE PEOPLE MUST START BUILDING A NEW ECONOMIC BASE, AND MOTORIZED TRICYCLES-BICYCLES ARE A PERFECT PLACE TO START!

Dependable, affordable & accessible transportation is critical. Sometimes we need to use a car -
due to weather, distance & number of travelers. But so much of the time, a sturdy bike/trike
would be ideal. They're relatively easy to build & maintain. Fuel efficiency is excellent & can be gasoline or alcohol. Alcohol is cheap and it's easy to make - in emergency or just for increasing
the efficiency of the return on your investment in the bike/trike.

I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but consider this ... we could develop an entirely new
economy based on this business model I'm developing.

My plan is to create a turn-key, start-up business package - for building, selling & maintaining motorized trike. This is an easy & fun task for me. The problem is this: I can't design & build the trike.

So, if anyone here would like to be involved in the ground floor of this effort, and has experience in building motorized trikes, please speak up & get involved.

At this point, design help is needed most. I've researched this alot, because nobody currently builds the trike I'm looking for.

Slowly but surely I'm learning more & more. I've already spoken with the owner of Frankenstein Trikes. He's an engineer and builds big trikes. (he says his business is sky high, more orders now than ever - this leads me to believe this is a lucrative market for this type of transportation).

Anyway, he said one of the main things is to make sure and design to include a differential. He suggested the Comet differential & axle as used for go karts. But there's so many other elements, of which only someone with knowledge of trikes/motor bikes will have.

So, I'm appealing to your wisdom & generosity in helping get this project moving forward.

Then, in the spring, I hope to have prototype built, and business system set up, ready to sell!

Thanks for listening, and I look forward to hearing from you.

/s/ Lynn Roberts

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Welcome to the forum. I think motorized trikes are a great idea to help the disabled stay active and independent. I would offer an electric model. Less range but easier maintenance.

DOC BOLM

Aug 21, 2008
Mississippi
It will work best in electric.The disabled dont want the gas and oil to mess with.Indoor storage will be impossable,I guess thats why hoverround does not offer a gas model.HD

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
Lynn, Welcome to the forum, I thought I was the only one on here willing to make a Political Rant. I'm not ! I feel the same way and I'm sick of it.
I have been putting motors on anything and everything since I was 12 years old. I am now soon to be 27 and have very many designs for various different types of lightweight vehicles including Hover, and Heli power. I will be starting my own company soon as well and I hope your company succeeds.
I would tend to agree with Bender here that electric model would do rather well but a fuel powered option would be cool! Or even better a small CC alchohol motor turning a steady rpm range well muffled that powers a small alternator and batteries for electric power. This should add reliability to the gas powered by putting lil stress on the motor as well as effectively making it a highbrid.

Last edited:

YardMaster

Jun 8, 2008
Hi Lynn, & Everyone Else,

I am totally on the same page as you. I feel that electric would probably be more popular, "but" none the less, gas should be pushed equally. I used to ride long distance bicycle between counties, but one day I hurt my knee and it has never been the same. Electric is good, but gas offers range.
I really believe it is a matter of personal need and position in a situation. I put an engine on my bike
so I wouldnt have to give up the long rides of my youth, but found out one day that Indiana may sometime change its laws. I also found out that many states do not allow this type of thing. The
states that do, have all kinds of restrictions on them. Oregon allows them, but not over 35cc. While that would be good for me, it would not work for a 300lb man in that hilly state. Other states do not allow them on roads that have a posted speed limit over 35 mph. While that may be ok for in town riders, it would be of no use to someone that likes to ride between towns. I always hear about safety, but, even if a bicycle had an engine that was, say for example; 80cc, that does not nessecarily mean that the bike would go fast and be a danger to others.... Moreover, depending on the "gearing" an 80cc bicycle could alternately carry a 300lb disabled person up a hill and on a flat at about 15 mph.

Two things come to mind that support the status quo...

1. CULTURE- people are just used to the way things are, and it is possible they may not be as adventurous as we are. Perhaps...

2. Money/Percieved Practicality- These laws are made around a car driving culture, and Purist bicyclists- who dont require an engine to enjoy the sport.
While these laws seem to make sense to the majority, The specifics and alternative perceptions of
motorized bicycles have not been fully, fairly, or adequately explored.
This is just a general summation from the top of my head,xct2 and is not nessecarily intended to be
taken for word from word.

I would really like to talk with a group of people who would be interested in aquiring this faction of
freedom. The freedom to build and choose your own grassroots transportation has never belonged
to people universally.

Hope to speak with you more directly at a late time.

Jason

I

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Hello Lynn,
Welcome to the forum. You pose an interesting question and I look forward to the collective wisdom of our members helping you sort through the how to's and what for's. Good luck with your enterprise.
SB

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
You better check KS laws/rules they are really pissiy about MB in many places,we need the laws to loosen and the possibility of the idea is great,they have motors that operate on the small torch gas bottles,that would be a quick fix for gasoline in the house,,hybred (if batteries keep improving anddroping in price) would be goodfor long and short travel

kipharley

Jul 9, 2009
Sanford,Maine
Welcome,Lynn.I think you'll find that most of the members agree with you.
I have built Three-wheelers for handicapped people.
If you go to the trike Thread and look at the Morgan posted by BarelyAwake you can see some pics of a three wheeler I started that eventually will be motorized.
Obviously that one isn't for the disabled/elderly.If you look in the background you can see a bright orange three wheeler I built for a customer,in the 4th pic from the left.That sits upright it's not motorized but could be.
it's my oppinion that you should stay away from trikes 1 wheel in front as they have handling issues.
E-mail me and I will show you some of the different three-wheelers I've built.Kip.
[email protected]

Last edited:

frostythesnowman

Sep 20, 2010
Tiffin OH
OK I have to chime in on this one. I have been disabled due to spinal/hip disorders, and have to deal with mobility issues every minute of every day. When I was younger and still physically "normal" I loved being on two wheels, whether it was my bicycle or my motorcycle. After my spinal went to pot, I had to sell my cycle because I could not physically hold the bike up, and my legs won't allow the movement to pedal a bicycle. Two years ago my Mom bought me an electric bicycle for Father's Day. It was nice to be able to ride something, but it lacks any real kind of range, and over time, the batteries take less and less of a charge. This is half the reason I'm building my MB. I can hold the weight of my MB with out much problem, and the 4-stroke is a reliable engine. My one problem with what Lynn is trying to accomplish here is this: If you're going to build a business, don't do it on the backs of others. You can't expect someone to do all the leg-work for you, so you can be the sole person benefitting from this. If this is really somehting you want, get out there and work for it. You have to create a unique design that's affordable to individuals on a fixed income, and something that has standardized parts for easy mantainance. Also have you thought about the manufacturing process? If it is your dream, accomplish it as such. I hope you do achieve this goal, just DO NOT forget the people who assisted you in achieving it.... Frosty

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
OK I have to chime in on this one. I have been disabled due to spinal/hip disorders, and have to deal with mobility issues every minute of every day. When I was younger and still physically "normal" I loved being on two wheels, whether it was my bicycle or my motorcycle. After my spinal went to pot, I had to sell my cycle because I could not physically hold the bike up, and my legs won't allow the movement to pedal a bicycle. Two years ago my Mom bought me an electric bicycle for Father's Day. It was nice to be able to ride something, but it lacks any real kind of range, and over time, the batteries take less and less of a charge. This is half the reason I'm building my MB. I can hold the weight of my MB with out much problem, and the 4-stroke is a reliable engine. My one problem with what Lynn is trying to accomplish here is this: If you're going to build a business, don't do it on the backs of others. You can't expect someone to do all the leg-work for you, so you can be the sole person benefitting from this. If this is really somehting you want, get out there and work for it. You have to create a unique design that's affordable to individuals on a fixed income, and something that has standardized parts for easy mantainance. Also have you thought about the manufacturing process? If it is your dream, accomplish it as such. I hope you do achieve this goal, just DO NOT forget the people who assisted you in achieving it.... Frosty
Good points all. Welcome to the forum, Frosty. What is your build? I also have a disability with partial paralysis affecting mostly my feet and lower legs. Guillane Barre Syndrome. I can still ride a 2 wheeler, but if the disease gets worse am thinking a three wheeler will keep me active. This subject interests me deeply.
SB

camlifter

May 4, 2009
acme labs marion ohio
your really glen beck right, j/k. theres no question gas or electric bikes and trikes could be a boon for the US, but untill there is a national law regulating them it will just be a hobby, laws differ from state to state and some states out right ban them.

frostythesnowman

Sep 20, 2010
Tiffin OH
I have several nuero-muscular disorders, and Pahr's disorder to complicate it. The statements about local laws regulating use and legality of MB's isn't a MAJOR concern to me. I live in a small town, and I'm on a first name basis with our local cops (WAAAAY too many speeding tickets), so not much I do will surprise them..... as far as the build goes, it's a JesseJames/ WestCoast chopper bicycle, that I'm outfitting with a 5-horse Tecumseh. So far most everything involving the bike is going to be hand-fabbed, no kits. Since I can't operate the pedals, I'm going to hard-mount Footpegs on tubing ran thru the factory crank opening. One of these days I gotta remember to add a kickstand... Oops! (BTW, it's the one in my"avatar" pic)

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Frosty,
Sounds like a cool build you have going. When you can, start a build thread on it and post pictures. Hard to see the one in the Avatar as it is small.
I can still walk and pedal some, but not very far, so am very glad I can balance well enough to ride a bike. So cool to feel the wind in my face. My neuro problems began with being hit by lighting in 1995... brain trauma and a screwed up electrical system. The GBS paralysis came later. Still, life is good and these bikes make it even better.
SB