hole in rim?

GoldenMotor.com

Bigmac

Jun 18, 2010
Suffolk, England
Hi guys,
when removing the rust, paint and chrome (all kind of moulded into one, horrific, flakey, mess) I found two small holes, probably 2mm in diameter. Is this the end of the road for the rim? can I just fill them and say no more? The bike is a 1937 francis Barnett if it helps.
CHeers
Mac

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
Due to its age I would keep it and see about patching it. How is the rest of the rim? It could be a little spot weld and grinding would fix the problem.

Terry

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
If the rim rusted enough for holes ,it will probibly be weak in other places that didn't quite rust through but lost metal thickness while cleaning,If you must use them please stay at 10-15 mph,we don't want to lose anybody

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
if you're restoring the bike for show only, i'd keep it, but if you plan on riding it at all, it should be replaced.

here's a pic of one of my wheels, off a '39 Colson. all i did was put new tires on it and filled it with air. the schrapnel almost took my head off...

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Hi guys,
when removing the rust, paint and chrome (all kind of moulded into one, horrific, flakey, mess) I found two small holes, probably 2mm in diameter. Is this the end of the road for the rim? can I just fill them and say no more? The bike is a 1937 francis Barnett if it helps.
CHeers
Mac
[Dumb question alert:] Uh, these holes, did they used to have spokes in them? Maybe you just found the places where a couple of missing spokes used to go. If not, then ignore me.

Last edited: