Frame swap

GoldenMotor.com

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
I just scored a schwinn crossfit at a yard sale today for $20 I am consider swapping my motor over to it from my Gary Fisher mt bike, but I had a few questions, The schwinn does not seem as solid as my Mamaba, but it is a hybrid, as opposed to full blown mountain bike, one of my concerns is motorizing a bike that won't hold up. Has anyone done a Crossfit, and how do the skinny tires compare to the knobby mountain tires as far as ride and performance with a motor?

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I don't know either of those bikes personally, but road tires are kinder with the vibes. I normally use balloon tires but have a few skinny st tires that do well. I find they handle better but is that much less a cushion. Cruiser frames are also easier on the rider as a MT has you leaning forward.

All have the slight pros and cons and is always some sort of comprimise and personal preference. Swaping just to see if you like it more might be reason enough. Cool part, can always swap back.

Post lots of pics!

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
knoby tires are for rough terrain,off road and do cusion the ride on regular road at 35-50 psi but viabrate and noise and drag(slow it down ,harder too pedal etc),,,,,the hybred will be a smoother ride (no knob tires)for solid pavement at 65 psi? but aren't for sand and loose rock

Bikesnfire

Jul 17, 2010
PA
If the bike has the 700c rims and not the 27x1 1/4, you would have so many tire options. Running something like a 700x38 or 700x42 gives you decent rubber on the road and all kinds of tread patterns are available. I rode those bikes without motors and they do fly. Just be sure that you have the frame clearance for the wider tires,

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
Frame was two small for me (being 6'6" makes size an issue) but the wife likes it, and yes it flies, I would love to put a motor on it, ....may be my wife wants a motor bike...

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Bummer Ferball. Is it even close? Asking cause a layback seat post would help some but not a whole lot.