Clutch noise?

GoldenMotor.com

ran49

Mar 5, 2008
So.In.
In an earlier post I spoke of a chirping noise.Well it's still there but since my bike runs great I quit worrying about.I now think it may be coming from the clutch as it disappears when I disengage it.There doesn't seem to be any slippage and It may by normal as far as I can tell.Clutch lever seems properly adjusted.Any thoughts about this.
On another note,I just got back from a cruise to the post office.When I came out there was a guy checking out my bike.Says he use to have a couple Whizzers and built one bike from a stretched out Western flier frame with a 5HP Briggs.Said it would really fly.Anyway he got his wheels and some other parts from Industrial Bikes.ComHome
. Worth checking out.Ron

Last edited:

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
Just so I get this right, you get that chirping sound when you are idling the engine?
Sounds like your clutch may be rubbing your outer casing and I would at least take it off and look for signs of rubbing. The chirping sounds like dry metal rubbing against dry metal at a high speed. My reason for thinking this way is because the clutch is pushed outwards, bringing it closer to the outer case/cover on the engine. While I do not have this problem, I did wipe out in the snow and noticed that my right side case/cover got dented inwards and cracked the metal as I slid along the road. (It was the peddle arm/crank that did it)

ran49

Mar 5, 2008
So.In.
It's gear noise alright.Checked cover plate again ,(which I glued a thin cork sheet inside,no problem there)and found the teeth on the large clutch gear was rubbing the inside rim of the cover plate.Pretty tight fit in there.Thanks Toytime.Sort of hard to notice.The last time I opened it up I noticed some dark powder inside and thought it must be pad residue.Actually I haven't had a chance to ride it yet but thats gotta help.Ron

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
If the gear teeth are rubbing the side cover you can take a dremmel with a drum sander and VERY CAREFULLY clearance the case. I saw Norman do it on his. Mine didn't rub so I didn't have to do it......................

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
Yeah there is some movement on the cover....early on, my clutch gear machined it's way into the cover lip...until it was free and clear! :rolleyes::p

I wondered why the slung grease got black so fast. Pot aluminum filled!

Yes it made noise!