occ trike conversion

GoldenMotor.com

mybike

Jan 19, 2011
bella vista ar
Does anyone know of a trike conversion that will fit an schwinn occ stingtay chopper? I'm thinking of converting mine if it's not a lot trouble.
Any help appreciated
thanks

mybike

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
I remember having to alter the rear-ends to fit the wider drop-outs on 2 different OCC trikes me n azvinnie did using 2 different types of bolt-on trike rears

it will be challenging for you to say the least

mybike

Jan 19, 2011
bella vista ar
Thanks i can't seem to find it now but iseen a thread onhere somewhere of a conversionset up some one built that should be able to make fit an occ.
Mybikie

mybike

Jan 19, 2011
bella vista ar
Russell thanksfor the post. this isn't the one i found yesterday but helps. Is that a drum brake in the middle or some type of differential?

mybike

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
Russell,,,
thanks for posting those pics
that was our first occ trike :)
we had to remove approx 2" from each side and re-weld the ends to accept the bearings
(alignment is CRUCIAL, or the shaft won't go in or back out ;))

PS...the brake was really cheap from BMI karts ($15-20), but is very difficult to adjust so it doesn't squeal and has been changed to a disc already

Last edited:

mybike

Jan 19, 2011
bella vista ar
Russell, some more questions.
Is that a straight axle? If not, what kind of setup are usung?
What size wheels are you using?
what size tubing did use to make up the unit?

Thanks for any help
Mybike

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
You are directing your questions to the wrong person! Those photos are pictures posted of someone else's build. I think it was AZbill. I only posted them for info.

Later

Russ

mybike

Jan 19, 2011
bella vista ar
Thanks everyone for all the imformation. I'm putting a list together to convert my occ chopper to a trike, figuring the cost of parts etc, where to get what I need and what I can build myself. Considering the price of a differential I may just go with a split axle. I don't believe I would like a live axle although it would be good around here in the winter time with knobbys and studs. Steep drive and hills. I will build my own saddle with sealed bearings, 5/8 axle and free wheel one side. (undecided about that.)
It looks like I'm going to have to buy another chopper bike to get another 20 x 4 1/4 wheel.
Question. What tooth sprocket do most jackshaft use on the engine drive side? I'm thinking of using a 44th in the middle (since I already have one) to drive the 50 th axle or what do you guys recommend for sprockets?

Would upload picture of my bike, but i can't figure out the resize on photobucket. doing something wrong or not doing it right. ug

Will keep posted on what I decide to do.

mybike

mybike

Jan 19, 2011
bella vista ar
Hey chainmaker, thanks for that imformation. That is the post I was looking for before but I couldn't find it again. My step son does all my (government) jobs at his work place for me. He can weld aluminum, steel, copper, u name it. They have a fairly complete shop. So making things isn't to much of a problem, just time permitting and boss isn't around. Some times even gets the material furnished. Scrap material of course.

mybike