Official 3D Motorsport Manual Clutch Thread

GoldenMotor.com

3dmotorsportLLC

May 13, 2016
San Diego
Hi all!

My name is Danny and I'm the owner of 3D Motorsport and Engineering, LLC. You may have seen our advertisement in the right or left vertical banners of this forum.

We make manually actuated cable clutches primarily for mini bikes that use 3/4" shaft utility engines (Predator 212, Briggs and Stratton, Tecumeseh, Honda, etc.)

We are seeing that a lot of folks are running these same engines in their motorized bicycles and have sold quite a few clutches to guys running them on motorized bikes with success.

The clutch is particularly awesome for motorized bicycles since it allows the rider to pedal start the engine which is something you can't typically do with a centrifugal clutch.

We would love to answer any questions you might have about the 3D Manual Clutch.

For more information check out our website: http://www.3DMotorsport.net

zean

Dec 5, 2010
california
Hello Danny. Looks good (quality and price both). Thank you.
Does your clutch work good on a stock engine, or do the benefits
manifest themselves much better with an engine with after-market parts?
Thanks again.

3dmotorsportLLC

May 13, 2016
San Diego
Thanks for the compliments on the product.

The clutch works excellent on stock engines. We have customers running them on everything from 4 horsepower Briggs and Strattons, to 23+ horsepower Predator 212's.

We even have a few customers that mounted them on jackshafts and are running them with 79cc predators in bicycles.

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
Hi Danny
I have been following this clutch since you first started talking about it on facebook

I currently have a 99cc predator/Q-Matic equipped stretch cruiser that I use for pulling custom trailer to transport my granddaughters (400+ lbs total)

I am currently using a 72tooth rear sprocket and am thinking of upgrading to a lifan 160f engine (118cc)and your clutch
what I would like to know is, what ratio would you recommend for pulling a heavy load ???

zean

Dec 5, 2010
california
Excuse me Danny. Is it possible to bolt a jack-shaft assembly and your clutch
guard to the side of a honda 160gx, then install your clutch (as inst.) to the shaft?
And, if your clutch is 3.125 inches wide and most crank shafts are 2.3 inches in length from the side of the engine, how is there enough room on the shaft to bolt the clutch?
Thank you Danny for your time. I appreciate it. I'm probably missing something. Thanks again.

3dmotorsportLLC

May 13, 2016
San Diego
Excuse me Danny. Is it possible to bolt a jack-shaft assembly and your clutch
guard to the side of a honda 160gx, then install your clutch (as inst.) to the shaft?
And, if your clutch is 3.125 inches wide and most crank shafts are 2.3 inches in length from the side of the engine, how is there enough room on the shaft to bolt the clutch?
Thank you Danny for your time. I appreciate it. I'm probably missing something. Thanks again.
You are correct that the clutch is longer than most PTO shafts, but that is not an issue and does not impact the operation of the clutch in any way. There is a bolt at the end of the clutch that screws into the PTO shaft to hold it on.

As far as using an engine mounted jackshaft, i believe that it is possible with some modification to the clutch guard.

3dmotorsportLLC

May 13, 2016
San Diego
Check out these awesome pictures of a customer's bike. We modified his Q-Matic transmission to accomodate the 3D clutch. He is loving it and finally has the ability to pedal start his bike. He also stated that it cruises way better than before, especially at speeds that would have otherwise been in the partially engaged range of the centrifugal clutch that was there before.

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
Is there a way to put a 415h sprocket on the clutch? The clutch would be nice on my chopper but I'd like to keep the existing rear sprocket which uses 415h. I'm thinking about going from a ktm50 to a 212 to make it the bike more useable.

3dmotorsportLLC

May 13, 2016
San Diego
Is there a way to put a 415h sprocket on the clutch? The clutch would be nice on my chopper but I'd like to keep the existing rear sprocket which uses 415h. I'm thinking about going from a ktm50 to a 212 to make it the bike more useable.
I'm not familiar with 415H chain, but if it's 1/2" pitch chain, then I am sure we could narrow up one of our 428 sprockets to be compatible with 415H.

We narrowed the 428 sprocket to fit #41 chain on the sportsman flyer that was posted previously.

FFV8

Oct 29, 2013
Spring Valley NV
This might not be a motorized bicycle, but we're pretty proud of the amount of abuse that this clutch can take. The customer in the video below is using the clutch on an 80 horsepower 500cc twin with a ton of success. Check it out:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wSCpnNi-yuA
So does this mean you are making this clutch with the 30mm 1:10 taper bore?

some pics of the install in that kart would be good.

3dmotorsportLLC

May 13, 2016
San Diego