Genesis 29er

GoldenMotor.com

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
Anyone know how to get new bearings to fit?
Oh boy! Did I forget to mention that the crank-bearings on the 29er are garbage too? I had the same issue on both of mine. All I can recommend is that you buy new balls and some good bearing-grease...clean out the cups as best you can, and install the new hardware. I realize you're already invested, but I would highly recommend a new GS29 instead. If you have the means, they're "only" $150, and are better built than the 29er. I think you'll save yourself some headaches.

Dead66

May 11, 2016
Pawleys Island
Well,
If I did that, would I transfer the front wheel and caliper breaks from this bike? One of the reasons I got this was for the caliper breaks

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
But not sure how I can use the break and clutch at the same time?
I agree that these are pretty cool, but from a safety-standpoint, I stongly advise keeping seperate levers. If that single lever ever fails at speed, you're up the creek (without a lever!). Also, I repeat: take a close look at my configuration on my left handlebar; the brake and clutch levers fit just fine. In fact, this configuration works perfectly...you can clutch-in and brake at the same time. You'll only need a light touch on the front brakes anyway.

Dead66

May 11, 2016
Pawleys Island
I printed out the gs29 picture and the Bantam picture. They are almost exactly the same when overlaid. But the down tube (the one from the handle bars down to the crank) is slightly closer to the top bar. In fact, the frames overlay perfectly except you can see both down tubes running perfectly parallel to each other. I guess that translates into about 1.5" plus or minus less space. Do you follow that?

leo

Jul 20, 2015
southern wv
there are some problems with having 2 brake handles. you destroy the rear tire, and you have less stopping power.

leo

Jul 20, 2015
southern wv
a dual brake handle will have much more stopping power, and prolong the life of your tires.

i saw one on ebay that had the clutch built in. when you hit the brakes, it automatically disengages the clutch.

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
Hey Leo, I don't understand your logic. I believe that besides a dual brake lever having a low safety factor based on what I'd described earlier, it will actually give you less control over your braking needs. In fact, just the opposite of what you stated is true: you can apply about twice the braking-force with two hands than you can with one, plus you have the safety of redundancy if there's a failure on either. I strongly advise anyone to avoid a dual-cable brake-lever for safety's sake.

Do you have a link for this brake/clutch lever? I'm having difficulty imagining how that might operate.

Dead66

May 11, 2016
Pawleys Island
It might be possible to use the Double break lever on the left side to operate the clutch and the rear breaks. Then you could use the right side to operate the front Breaks.

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
It might be possible to use the Double break lever on the left side to operate the clutch and the rear breaks. Then you could use the right side to operate the front Breaks.
Certainly possible, but that would make actually starting the engine by dropping the clutch IMpossible.

leo

Jul 20, 2015
southern wv
i'm gonna have to respectfully disagree on this one.

i have much more brake force with a dual pull, and only 2 handles to keep up with. some would say your third handle is a safety issue... lol

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
I have used a dual break lever since after my first 100 miles and it has never failed. For me, stopping time was reduced without having to hit both the clutch and the break at the same time, but that's just me, some people are very good at hitting both but it took me a split second longer to get my fingers on the break while holding in the clutch.

Last edited: