Legality of building a highway-faring motorscooter out of a bike frame state by state

GoldenMotor.com

jmason92

Apr 8, 2016
Lawton, OK
On a state by state basis, what would the theoretical legality be of building a highway-faring motorscooter out of a bike frame, provided said frame can handle up to a 100cc motor, and hold up for long distances, in addition to the suspension, trans and clutch, brakes, lights, etc?

Dumb question, probably.

Tl;dr, would it be legal to try this in Oklahoma or whatever state you live in?

Last edited:

Agreen

Feb 10, 2013
Southeastern GA
Re: Legality of building a highway-faring motorscooter out of a bike frame state by s

It's somewhat difficult here in SC to obtain a VIN for a custom built anything. But so long as you can show receipts for everything you use to build it, and it has legal lights, brakes, tires (dot tires, no tubes), a mirror, and a horn then you're good to go. Insurance is probably very expensive, as it is for motorcycles in SC. Supposedly the average lifespan of a motorcyle is 800 miles here.... since cage drivers are so bad.

Personally, I would never trust myself on a bike frame on the highway. I don't like dying.

jmason92

Apr 8, 2016
Lawton, OK
Re: Legality of building a highway-faring motorscooter out of a bike frame state by s

Just gotta be quick on the reflexes on the last sentence, as well as reinforcing the rims and tires, suspension, brakes, etc, for the added power, and adding the required lights, a horn, and a tag holder.

Aug 26, 2015
Overgaard AZ

From where I stand, it would be like building a MB with a chainsaw engine. Yes, it would be cool. Yes it would be unequivocally yours
BUT unless you own a good welder and most of a machine shop, it can get very expensive very quickly, making trip after trip to such places. Add in that a mis-measurement results In at least one trip back, and that because it's a custom rig, not a lot of parts available, should something fail. All in all, a kit is often more cost and labor effective.

I would say, buy a cheap dirt bike, add your lights and such, and roll. However if you want to build it for the sake of building it, then let nothing slow you down!

Just my $0.02.