Will other states recognize a CA mb plate?

GoldenMotor.com

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
Say I decided to ride into another state with my registered ca mb. Will this be a problem considering that other states have different laws?

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
I don't think you'll have a problem. There's something like a 'good faith' agreement between the various states. And among various nations, too, for that matter.

In effect it means that if a vehicle is legal in it's home state, then it's considered to be legal in the state it's visiting.

There are bound to be exceptions. And something like motorized bicycles, a pretty gray area, might definitely include these exceptions.

But if you're not riding in a place where they are definitely illegal, Washington would be the only state that I know of, then law enforcement is not likely to care a whole lot about you riding on their turf.

This ain't much of an answer I'm giving you. It boils down to 'you're probably okay, but maybe not'.

But you're probably okay.

leo

Jul 20, 2015
southern wv
i would still call the local police, just to verify that my bike isn't going to be impounded. wouldn't want to find out the hard way...

FFV8

Oct 29, 2013
Spring Valley NV
You are good to go in Nevada.

NRS covers Mopeds, and no plate is required. You need to hold the speed to 35mph. You need a driver's license. You ride in the traffic lanes - NOT the bicycle lanes.

Bike needs a brake light in the daytime, Head & Tail lamps at night.

I have CA plates on my motorized bikes here in NV. Been stopped, as soon as they see paper to match the plates they are OK with it.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Something else comes to mind.

With a plate and a real registration, you've got some real status on the road.

I do wish my state would just register these as mopeds. Or something similar.

I've had no trouble at all from the police. And I haven't had very much trouble from big-mouthed, know-nothing nitwits who claim that these bikes don't belong on the road.

But there's one every now and then. A real plate would take a lot of hot air out of their sails.