What's really stopping EV sales?

GoldenMotor.com

YesImLDS

Jun 29, 2013
Columbia, Missouri
The real problem I see with electric vehicles from working at an auto magazine is that there isn't a REAL replacement to gas/hybrid vehicles due to range. Sure a tesla can go as far as a motored vehicle can on a charge, but it takes time for it to get back to be able to get on the rode. If you are just driving around town I say electric all the way, but if you wanted to go on vacation you'd have to rent a vehicle if you didn't already have one.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Interesting.

And the guy does make the whole battery problem seem not quite so daunting, doesn't he?

I sure do hope the industry follows a path something like he's pointing toward.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
The real problem I see with electric vehicles from working at an auto magazine is that there isn't a REAL replacement to gas/hybrid vehicles due to range. Sure a tesla can go as far as a motored vehicle can on a charge, but it takes time for it to get back to be able to get on the rode. If you are just driving around town I say electric all the way, but if you wanted to go on vacation you'd have to rent a vehicle if you didn't already have one.
I'd argue, though, that the status quo is more of a problem.

Most people (and I'm proud to say that I'm not one of them) use the exact same vehicle to get to work, to get two blocks to the convenience store, and to drive all day to some destination 400 miles away.

Why not have something small and economical for daily runs of, say, 10 miles or less plus have something larger on standby for those occasional times when you go off somewhere to visit a relative? Something like the cars that, today, are littering our neighborhoods and clogging up our roads.

It might not be cost effective to own such a vehicle when you only use it very occasionally. Renting would be one perfectly good option. Other ways of getting the use of such a thing could be imagined. Co-ops, for instance.

YesImLDS

Jun 29, 2013
Columbia, Missouri
I'd argue, though, that the status quo is more of a problem.

Most people (and I'm proud to say that I'm not one of them) use the exact same vehicle to get to work, to get two blocks to the convenience store, and to drive all day to some destination 400 miles away.

Why not have something small and economical for daily runs of, say, 10 miles or less plus have something larger on standby for those occasional times when you go off somewhere to visit a relative? Something like the cars that, today, are littering our neighborhoods and clogging up our roads.

It might not be cost effective to own such a vehicle when you only use it very occasionally. Renting would be one perfectly good option. Other ways of getting the use of such a thing could be imagined. Co-ops, for instance.
I say for the time being hybrids are the way to go and once the charging stations become more thick over the next say 10-15 years electric will become more popular. The problem also with owning two vehicles is twice the insurance, registration and other odds and ends that come with vehicles. I'd personally love to own an electric vehicle, but realistically in my area it's not possible with the driving I do I just can't risk not being able to get somewhere on time due to a charging problem. Now tesla has been talking battery exchanges where you basically just drop off a battery and swap for another that'll increase on your range.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Safe, cheap batteries.
For me 4 (four) of these plus 60.00 shipping met all of my requirements for capacity 30 AH at 64 volt .Very safe chemistry.
http://hybridautocenter.com/HAC4/in...me=58ah-nissan-leaf-battery-module&Itemid=605

The HobbyKing Battery s are powerful light and EXTREMELY dangerous
Now that you mention it, a Nissan Leaf battery sounds like a good idea.

Yet I can't seem to see how 4 of them could give 60 Volts. I'm counting 33.6

Am I missing something?

tiny-n-terrible

May 25, 2013
usa
I should have posted the whole thing needed.

Safety
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jz37WycW-7E&feature=youtu.be

Early disassembly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcqaAz1vjlo

Latest tips for easy conversion
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=52162&start=150

The individual cells are run in series per battery using soldered on jumpers. You must modify the battery to run at 30 ah at approx 16 volts per battery.
I bought 4 and converted them. So I have a 64 volt 30 ah battery for cheap and I recycled too!

Last edited:

Lungcookie

Aug 15, 2013
Oregon
Now that you mention it, a Nissan Leaf battery sounds like a good idea.

Yet I can't seem to see how 4 of them could give 60 Volts. I'm counting 33.6

Am I missing something?
Packs are 2 parallel 30AH cells x2 making a 60AH pack.
When you pull it all apart you are left with 4 cells that are 4.2v and 30AH.

So you could build a 67.2v 30AH battery for $460 + shipping and the time involved and hoping you don't destroy anything on the teardown.

Think I will stick with LiPo.
Also 30AH seems like over kill for most.

Last edited:

tiny-n-terrible

May 25, 2013
usa
The Chinese Government gets all of the good lipo.
The Chinese citizens get the next best stuff.
Hobby King sells crap. The bottom of the barrel picked over by everyone else and rejected by all others.
The shipping is also expensive.
Try shipping your defective lipo back to China for a refund .
I can buy Japanese made quality Leaf batteries locally.

The closest Wrecking yard is in Las Vegas .
$115.00 X 4 =$460 plus $ 60.00 ups lipo grade shipping. The wrecking yard says Capacity is tested and guaranteed.

I have paid Hobby King shipping and cried over the excessive cost.

I like the capacity. The storage life. and the safety of Leaf Batteries. I do not recharge every day and I do not worry about running out of a charge half way through my shopping trip

size and weight per metal cased battery

Length 11.417" (290 mm)
Width 8.504" (216 mm)
Thickness 0.2795" (7.1mm)
Weight 1.7624 lbs (799 g)

Last edited:

tiny-n-terrible

May 25, 2013
usa
30 AH is pretty impressive for an e-bike. Nice job there.

Is it bulky or heavy?

Per one metal cased battery which contains four cells to make 15 volt at 30 ah.

Length 11.417" (290 mm)
Width 8.504" (216 mm)
Thickness 0.2795" (7.1mm)
Weight 1.7624 lbs (799 g)

For my pack of four metal encased batteries

Weight for 4 battery's seven pounds
Thickness six inches
width eight inches

Batteries are mounted in a custom metal enclosure for more protection .
Three inches out from both sides of the top bar on a girls bike.
Powering Two 1000 watt ( one front and one rear ) DD = direct drive seriously modded ATF cooled hub motors.

Last edited:

Lungcookie

Aug 15, 2013
Oregon
TNT,
Do you have a link or build for your machine?

Would like to see some pics, please.

If that is the actual weight, 7lbs. for your finished 60v/30ah battery, that would be less than 1/3 the weight of the HK Multistar, which seems a bit hard to believe.

This 16s/10ah Multistar I run is 8lbs.

Thanks

Aug 26, 2015
Overgaard AZ
Any one here know how a freight train runs? Their Diesel-Electric, huge Diesel engine, working as a generator to power an electric motor at each wheel. Why not scale down that tech for a car? I know it's not fully electric, but it is very efficient. Aside from that, Sam Diesel never actually intended for his engine to run on a petroleum product, that's why he was killed, thrown overboard while crossing the English Channel.

Speaking of trains, I think steam power is a technology that needs revisited. Those old trains moved massive loads with as few as two, four inch pistons. Granted they had a two or three foot stroke. Most of the size and mass of a steam engine, was that enormous boiler. Lets apply today's tech to the steam power "problem", see where we go. Most of America's large warships are powered by steam, granted it's nuclear steam, but steam nonetheless. Lets look into this, I'm not saying let's build nuke cars, but I'd drive the Stanley Steamer happily. In fact I once put serious thought into converting a F150 to steam power. Never did obviously, but not everyone is as broke and ignorant as I.