The Frederickson Flyer!

GoldenMotor.com

QuietRiot522

Aug 31, 2010
Rochester MN
The Frederickson Flyer! Quick update PG2

Hello everyone! I wanted to show off my updated build since I think its been two years since Ive been active on here.

without futher chatter heres a picture of what it looked like I think the last time I was here:

Since then I've reworked the 6v lighting system
Added a literal soup can battery box
Centrifugal clutch
New wald handlebars
Tektro front and rear caliper brakes
Modified long poo poo pipe (extra stealthy now)
covered the seat in brown fabric to match the sks clip pouch
Added leather strip and decals for aesthetics

Tank, NOS? BSA/Triumph petcock:

Lights and handlebars:

Last edited:

QuietRiot522

Aug 31, 2010
Rochester MN
Soup can battery box, houses minigen and light switch:

Then just some extra shots:

Im not the best camera man but hope they are okay.

I have an RSE reed valve coming Im going to try out. I also want to wrap the handles in leather I have left over and weld the exhaust. Its just held together with heater hose and some clamps. Pretty sturdy considering.
Other than that Ive done almost everything I wanted to, within my non existent budget haha. Most of the new stuff was cobbled together with crap I had laying around.

Radar00

Apr 28, 2016
PA
beautiful bike. What type of headlamp did you use? I like the can battery idea. Might have to nick that one

QuietRiot522

Aug 31, 2010
Rochester MN
Its an old 4 1/2 inch hologen lamp from harbor freight they sold In the early 2000s? I think. The ones they sell now I want to say are 5 3/4 now. EDIT: both lamps were modified to use 6v leds. Ill add to the thread later how I went about some things.

I used a large pop top can and I rolled the lip to the inside of the can and then used a Starbuzz hookah can lid as a cover. It pops right in. Id imagine not too many people would have that laying around but Id bet you could find something. Last thing is I used a peice of scrap metal to span the bars under the seat to give the clamp something to mount to.

Last edited:

QuietRiot522

Aug 31, 2010
Rochester MN
Sorry for anyone who might be interested in the more technical aspects of bikes but I want to share two pictures from my 36 mile trip today!

For the record I ride on the right side of the road but just made a pit stop for the shade on the other side.

Gravel dust

I know some MBs do 30+ miles daily but its quite the trip for me.

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:

QuietRiot522

Aug 31, 2010
Rochester MN
Congrats on the ride and a cool build. How are those tires? They look beefy.
Thanks! They are knobbier than I wanted but I couldn't find the Ponley? tires that the bike came with. The ones I had were starting to crack and were just wore out. The Vee Rubber tires on there now are extremely light weight, they weigh at least half as much as the original tires. Rolling resistance is fantastic on and off road. The biggest thing I don't like is that they are very thin, going on the gravel road I was worried Id get a puncture. They are supposed to be MTB tires I think so maybe I worried for nothing.

I really really wanted fatter tires but these were 16 bucks for the pair! Couldn't pass that up with my budget being tight. Im pretty impressed with Vee Rubber so far.

QuietRiot522

Aug 31, 2010
Rochester MN
I love this bike and I want to build one like it. I'm inspired.
Thank you for the kind words! I did some quick guesstimating and I think Im about 700 bucks in on it. There's quite a few parts that aren't on it anymore and that estimate includes the retail price of the bike. It wasn't all at once though so its not too bad. Are you a first time builder? Just wondering.

QuietRiot522

Aug 31, 2010
Rochester MN
Update: 02/19/17

I added some saddle boxes/bags. Kind of emulating some 1920s ish motorcycles:

Early this morning before work I swapped out the 'ol slant head for a high comp one, not sure if I like the all black or if Ill accent it with red.

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
Looks super nice with the bags, which are super handy too.
How do you like your centrifugal clutch? Did you have to use a wide crank set?
-Zip

QuietRiot522

Aug 31, 2010
Rochester MN
Looks super nice with the bags, which are super handy too.
How do you like your centrifugal clutch? Did you have to use a wide crank set?
-Zip
Nope, I did have to bend my one crank out about a quarter inch but thats about it. I will never build another 2 stroke without one, I can take off from a dead stop now its just so much user friendly in and around neighborhoods. In stop and go traffic too. I love it personally, idk why more people don't use em. Personal preference I suppose.

Edit: the bags are Yugoslavian? Messenger bags I got at FleetFarm in their surplus isle. Im planning to write up how I attached them when I get some pictures.

Last edited:

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
Good to hear another positive comments on the Centrifugal clutch. I have one sitting here I have yet to install on one of my bikes. I want to try a pull start also. How long of a pipe did you have to use to bend the pedal arm out, those arms are strong? More detailed info on how you bent it... would be great to get. Thanks for the source on the messenger bags. I like the just right size of them also.
zip-

QuietRiot522

Aug 31, 2010
Rochester MN
Good to hear another positive comments on the Centrifugal clutch. I have one sitting here I have yet to install on one of my bikes. I want to try a pull start also. How long of a pipe did you have to use to bend the pedal arm out, those arms are strong? More detailed info on how you bent it... would be great to get. Thanks for the source on the messenger bags. I like the just right size of them also.
zip-

I used a 2 foot pipe wrench and a piece of old tire to bend it out, although mine are aluminum I dont know if I could have done it with a steel set. Idk about the pull start, it was unnecessary for my setup and I heard they break easily. Always thought it would be nice though!

A problem I had installing the clutch kit was the crankshaft extension in the kit wasn't big enough to fit on my crankshaft. I had to ream it out carefully with a cone shaped deburring bit in my drill press. I wonder if its because my motor was manufactured in 2010?

Also there was no manual to tell you how to put the one way bearing on it. It needs to be put under tension by rotating it for the bearings to fall into the correct position, then the bell can be slid on the little extender. Now that Im thinking of it the sprocket on mine stripped out of the bell housing, I welded it back on to the bell and its solid now. I think mine was just bad but, it appears that the sprocket is just press fit into the bell housing. haven't heard of it happening to anyone else so I believe it was a fluke.

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
Thanks for the great info. Ill have to find time to install it. So I'm confused on starting a bike with a centrifugal clutch. I get the one way bearings and all that, but cant wrap my brain around normal pedaling and starting. I'm sure I am in for a big OMG stupid feeling.
Its why I mention the pull start.

QuietRiot522

Aug 31, 2010
Rochester MN
Iirc, when you pedal the bike with the manual clutch engaged it turns the large gear on the clutch which turns the gear on the centrifugal clutch bell. The roller bearings are under tension in the cage, thus rolling up the little ramped notches cut into the inside of the gear on the bell housing. The five roller bearings pinch the crankshaft thus turning the engine. once the engine turns over the bearings roll back into the deep part of the ramps. Allowing the clutch bell to ride freely on the crankshaft. (^)