Front Fairing?

GoldenMotor.com
Aug 26, 2015
Overgaard AZ
I'm looking for something akin to the ones Phantom Bikes puts on the "Ghost R" . I'm not at all above making my own, in fact, I probably will. I like the way that type of fairing looks, kinda draws it all together.

For anyone who has this fairing, or one similar, I've a few questions. How exactly is it attached to the bike, and what's it made out of? Is it rigid, or does it have some flex? The one on the phantom bikes don't look very thick, I'm thinking of using fairly stiff plastic and some zip ties, maybe with some kind of spanner to hold the top. Any ideas? Is there someone making them, if so, I might pony up the money just to learn.

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
I had or saw a photo that showed the attachment arms. It was as I remember about 3/4 wide x about 1/8" aluminium framing. I really liked that fairing a bunch and was thinking the same thing. They may sell one if you contacted them but didn't look too difficult to fabricate. Sheet stock was probably some type of polypropylene plastic sheet 3/32 thick or less. search their web site that is where i may of found the photo of backside.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
I can see button head allen bolts, looks like they used some spacers on the bottom one.Just drill and tap the frame 10 x 32 would work. I sorta like the twin exhaust also ninous the ends? ...........Curt

Aug 26, 2015
Overgaard AZ
Well I made up a cardboard template today. Used it to cut a Sterlite tote lid that was laying around, unfortunately, it lacked enough flex to make the bend, and I never tried to heat it, so it snapped. The lid was from a quite large tote and was fairly thick, a thinner one would flex enough for what I want.

I plan to attach to the bottom frame with zipties, and a layer of weather stripping type material between. I'm hoping to follow the line of my tank at the top, and possibly close the plastic at the rear of the tank. If not, I'll fashion a strut that attaches to the frame and holds the top rear corners.

More cardboard layout is needed before I seriously search for material, I just saw the lid laying there and couldn't stop myself.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
If you could find a kids sled, they have them that are sheet plastic and fairly thick, but not much snow down there..........Curt

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
I have one on the 1st AVG build seen HERE: http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=58551&page=10 Post #100 Its very thin stamped ( i think ) aluminum Rive nuts placed in the front of the downtube locate it and ~3/8 alum spacers set it off the downtube enough to get it past the motor mount comfortably. The cross brace holds its shape and a bit coming off the brace bolts to one of the valve cover bolts securing it. My application was a bit different than Phantoms production design so I went with a splay'd V to both the front valve cover bolts. I can provide better pics if needed.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Thinking on this, depends on the motor you run. China girl would might not get enough air to keep KOOL ....... Curt

Aug 26, 2015
Overgaard AZ
Velo, I was hoping you'd respond, I read the flying tiger tribute build thread, sweet bike buddy, toot sweet! I'm not sold on attaching it to the motor, a ChinaGirl shakes rattles and rolls so much. How well does that little triangle actually work? How does it do with crosswinds, does it really make you weave, or do you notice?

I guess that answers that question for you, Curt. I don't think I'll have cooling issues, as if I do one, it'll be short, not blocking the head. Its more cosmetic, to help blend the lines of the stock tank into the bike better, still looking for plastic suitable to the purpose. If I like it, I might use the plastic one as a template for an aluminum one, but not on this frame. Still a lot up in the air, as I plan a second build.

Cylon

Jun 26, 2015
Maine
Go to Lowes and get some sheet metal self tapping screws and some tin snips will take you less then 20 minutes to get it all setup if you use a cardboard cutout first to see where you want to screw it to the frame.

xaydungankhang

May 26, 2016
Japan
Velo, I was hoping you'd respond, I read the flying tiger tribute build thread, sweet bike buddy, toot sweet! I'm not sold on attaching it to the motor, a ChinaGirl shakes rattles and rolls so much. How well does that little triangle actually work? How does it do with crosswinds, does it really make you weave, or do you notice?

I guess that answers that question for you, Curt. I don't think I'll have cooling issues, as if I do one, it'll be short, not blocking the head. Its more cosmetic, to help blend the lines of the stock tank into the bike better, still looking for plastic suitable to the purpose. If I like it, I might use the plastic one as a template for an aluminum one, but not on this frame. Still a lot up in the air, as I plan a second build.

I think it too thanks