98cc Villiers on a 1945 Sears Roebuck

GoldenMotor.com

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Hello Harold,
This is a great project you have going for you. It will be one classy ride... woohoo!
Here's a link to the other build I have using the Villiars midget.
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=30828

I apologize for the lengthy, unending thread. Still not truly done as I have some things to hook up and still need to work out the hand clutch setup, but if you skim it there might be something in there of use to you. Only new things not shown are a copper set of handlebars made from copper water pipe and a keyed drop stand catch something like the one tinsmith designed. Maybe next summer this will be a rider.

I wish these engines were as common here in the states as they seem to be in Britain and it's former colonies. They run smoothly and by all reports go forever. I love the way they look, absolutely vintage. Enjoy your build and take your time, even though we want you to do it up quick so we can see the results. This will be one to be proud of...
SB

Reactions: indian22

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
Thanks for the link SB. I recall having read the post describing the copper tank build. The appreciation and respect between friends is as apparent as the craftsmanship in your build and the tank. I enjoyed both threads beginning to end.

The ratcheting hand crank is really interesting to me. I've been thinking about different ways to retrofit a kick start or an electric so as to avoid the pull rope and cup like I had on my last engine. I'm guessing my dad still has his and may not be using it. Otherwise it's off to eBay to go shopping!

Almost forgot (again), a belated Happy 70!

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Thank you, Harold. 70 sure sounds old, but doesn't feel all that bad. Coming up on 71 this winter with what appears to be smooth sailing up ahead for some time yet. I believe that never having grown up and playing with motorbicycles is good for my health and well being. Having the bikes to work on this winter makes me actually look forward to it. As in Michigan it is a long time to be looking out the window waiting for spring... best to find something to do while semi hibernating. Enjoy your Villiars build!
SB

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
So I've been giving a lot of thought to SB's ratcheting hand crank engine starter and I'd to try it but I'm looking for a particular coupling/drive and don't know what it's called in order to search. In my foggy memory lurks a drive coupling that is similar to what you would see on a blender motor and blade assembly or a drive mechanism for roller blinds where the teeth are on the edge of a barrel (like a hole saw); slanted in one direction and straight in the other so that the drive engages until the shaft being driven is turning faster then it spins off. Any ideas? My Google-Fu has let me down.

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
Harold, I think the name you are after is Bendix. They use them a lot on cheap scooeters.
Thanks. Close to what I'm thinking but I couldn't find what I'm looking for. What I have in mind is actually more simple (and cheap) than that but I don't know what they are called so that I can find a more robust drive pair. These are the blender parts I'm referring though:

http://www.amazon.com/driver-coupling-Oster-Kitchen-Center/dp/B00068KZ0G
http://www.goodmans.net/i/2074/oster-24596-kitchen-center-driver.htm

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
So I've been giving a lot of thought to SB's ratcheting hand crank engine starter and I'd to try it but I'm looking for a particular coupling/drive and don't know what it's called in order to search. In my foggy memory lurks a drive coupling that is similar to what you would see on a blender motor and blade assembly or a drive mechanism for roller blinds where the teeth are on the edge of a barrel (like a hole saw); slanted in one direction and straight in the other so that the drive engages until the shaft being driven is turning faster then it spins off. Any ideas? My Google-Fu has let me down.
I know what you are looking for and have seen them through the years, but not sure ether what the are called. I also been looking but come up with nothing, drive couplings are all plastic. Have it in my head on bendex starter drive may work somehow, like on car starter. Just my thoughts................Curt

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
That's what I was thinking, too, Curt. A bendix starter coupling or whatever it is called. Lot's of them on dead cars and starters and plenty robust. You'd need to stare at one for awhile to see if there is a way to apply it to small engine. Interesting...
SB

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
Curt - thanks for the link to the kickstart setup. I have to say I like the idea of being able to start the engine while standing over the bike. A little more complicated than the crank to build but it would be much better if I stall in traffic. It's going to be a while before the frame is ready to mount the engine so I plan to clean it up and get it running on the bench. For a bench top setup I think I'd like to figure out the gear drive to try on a hand crank or a cordless drill. I might also use the bench top to try a kickstart.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
How about taking the rope start off a newer Briggs or Tecumseh,just use the cup and activator. Just a thought going through my head......................Curt

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
Sprag "bearing" as well. Found some on W.W. Grainger but they're in the $100 range. Very interesting. My head is swimming with possibilities.

I have the recoil pull starter from a Doodlebug flathead on hand (I think). I'll dig through my junk stash and see if I can find it. That should have the ratchet parts I think you're talking about Curt.

New head set came in the mail today. Maybe I'll have a chance to see if it fits before the weekend. Certainly is pretty. I'm used to working with repurposed, used or homemade parts anymore and the highly buffed surfaces make me want to spend time on the details.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Doodlebug parts are worth big money,love to find one my self. Even the engine blocks are hard to find, maybe ebay them and pay for you build. LOL Yep rewind pull start, just pull and the teeth come out and grab the cup. Not sure how you would mount it but, if one could put a lever on instead of a rope,just a thought