Hog Bike

GoldenMotor.com

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
No its not an HD tribute build, its a bike to use hog hunting.

Coastal Georgia as well as other areas/states have become infested with feral hogs. These animals are destructive to the native ecosystem as well as farms, yards and gardens. The Ga DNR has allowed unlimited hunting of these animals in hope of eradication or at least controlling them. Our island is home to a herd that we are working to eliminate. They hang out at uninhabited end of the island and raid at night. HOA rules forbid hunting at night to prevent waking the community. They will scatter through the marsh if hunted during the day by the usual merhods.
I discovered a bit ago if done carefully I could trail them on one of my ebikes. So I decided to build a purpose built bike from junk I had left from other past builds. Pedals were a hindrance in the close brush so this bike is pedal less and will use foot pegs. The hub motor is a front 48v 500w which will be run on a 24v controller. This will allow running modular 4s Lipo packs of 33.6v and 50.4v. The 24v controller will allow running the lower voltage packs as its LVC is lower than a 36/48v controller which would shut out the lower voltage. I will monitor the packs voltage to stay above its low voltage minimum. I have been running a 24v controller in this manner for awhile now with no adverse effects.
Since there are no pedals the front hub will be run in the rear. Am hoping to adapt a disc brake to the rear of the bike. The frame is a Schwinn Point Beach aluminum. Tires are WTB 2.3 knobbies. That's about it there is not much too it and it was a quick build.
Just waiting on the rear disc, and to fab the foot pegs. Then it will be time to load the back pack, and grab the AR 15 and hit the woods. Has sort of a Wehrmacht look about it.

Attachments

Last edited:

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Thanks Magwa!

Didn't want to spend much time or $$, but think it will do the job. Rode it a bit with out brakes or foot rests(carefully!) to see how the 48v hub did on 24v. Did well, guessing about 15mph and crept over the rough stuff pretty well. I will carry 4) 5ah 4s. By simply swapping connectors around I can run both voltages. I can either have [email protected] or [email protected](off charger voltages). Speed or duration.
It turned out to be pretty light for a DD hub bike, the frame and lack of full bicycle equipment are the reason.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
The simplicity of your e-bike is dazzling. Don't forget to invite us all to the BBQ. My parents are both from the GA coast. They grew up in Darien.

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
No chain at all that's gonna be one quiet sneeky hog hole'r :) How bout a lance on a long pike pole? Make your hunt totally silent!dance1

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Thinking about a suppressor. Not sure I want to negotiate a herd of these things with a sharp stick-hehe! The serious hunters here use dogs, and the dogs wear Kevlar vests! I have seen two groups of little ones which means there are some touchy sows out there. Probably better switch to my "speed" batteries when beginning the hunt in case I need to make a getaway.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
I'm diggin' the simplicity of the bike.
Thanks! That was its intent to do one thing. Hope to finish the foot pegs today.
They will be adjustable and have the same basic clearance as my KLX250.
Hoping the rear disc brake isn't going to be a big issue.

Maybe this is really an electric motorcycle/dirt bike of sorts? Is legal in my state with out pedals.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Got the pegs finished. Simply a thick wall square tube welded to a 1 1/2" muffler clamp with two welded old shock absorber washers to keep the feet in place. Topped with a little friction tape. Cool thing is its majorly adjustable. It can be raised simply by loosening and rolling over for more clearance as well as moving up the down tube for more clearance/leg stretch.

So have grounded myself until the brake parts arrive. Was enjoying the new pegs and the "speed" battery setting when a neighbor pulled out in front of me. Good thing its an off road bike as that's where I went. Cant blame him its my fault for not having brakes and the bike is basically invisible against the tree background (guess the camo is effective).

Attachments

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Bike is finished and was ridden quite a bit this weekend. The disc braked mounted pretty easily. Its one of the add on types that mounts in between the axle and frame and clamps to the frame tube. Works better than I thought it might. Has plenty of stopping power for this build. Added lights. The rear is pretty neat. Has the usual red LED but also has two laser lines that project on the ground on either side of the rear wheel, either constant or flashing. The little front Cree light is amazing. Runs on a rechargeable Li-ion pack(seen in front of the seat) and has three intensities(all three LEDs are always on, just change brightness). On hi it lights up the road a great distance as well as area. Really a great system!
I'm amazed how well the bike rides/pulls the rough woods. Its apparent the Ebike makes instant torque. It pulls along slowly with plenty of power/torque unlike an ICE that will require some rpms to be happy. Truly a fine little trail rider. I find it plenty fast for this type of riding on 24v and 5ah does a fair amount of trails. This is a fun bike!

Attachments

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
OOOH! NICE! Love how it came out! Tell us more bout the "add on" brake thingy. Got a source or even a search word / phrase?

magwa

Jul 14, 2015
Coarsegold, CA
Looks great. I'd love to hear more about the way you wired in those batteries to work with the 24v controller. 2 x 5Ah, 4s packs (33.6v) and then 3 x 5Ah 4s packs (50.4v), right?
Or do you just connect the third battery into the series line when you want to pull out the "big guns"?

Last edited:

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
That's pretty much it as you stated.
I can also run 4) 5ah in series/parallel to have 33.6v/10ah. I am amazed at the duration of the 5ah on this bike. Its basically a combo of a very light bike and riding in the flats I guess. The 50.4v 5ah in theory should have even more duration.
I am assuming the 48v 500w hub motor is making in the 250-300w range. Its not a ball of fire on acceleration, but the top end is decent.

magwa

Jul 14, 2015
Coarsegold, CA
I liked the looks of that disk set up on your bike and on E-Slay ...and the price...enough to go ahead and "Buy It Now".
Hahahahaha!

Does the disk bolt directly to the hub? I can't tell from the pics of your newest ride.

Not saying it would work on any of my current builds....But maybe the next hub motor.
That is, if I can figure out which one it'll work with.

Last edited:

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
The disc bolts directly to the hub. Your motor should have a machined area with 6 bolts in place for it to bolt to. I didn't need the supplied spacer. I don't know if the mounting is F&R, looks like it might mount either way.

magwa

Jul 14, 2015
Coarsegold, CA
The disc bolts directly to the hub. Your motor should have a machined area with 6 bolts in place for it to bolt to. I didn't need the supplied spacer. I don't know if the mounting is F&R, looks like it might mount either way.
Just looked. Not in that hub, interestingly enough. Plain Jane. same surfaces both sides.

I'll use the brake for the next hub build. Or maybe do a front and rear hub on this one...That would be trick.

Attachments

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Its just a simple drill and tap. Use the disc spacer as a drill guide. Not all of the hubs are surfaced machined for the rotor. The one on the hog bike wasn't and the rotor runs true. Just remove the paint.