Quit (ing) cigarettes

GoldenMotor.com

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
In a seemingly never ending attempt to quit smoking, I was thinking a bunch of us doing it together might work.

The longest smoke free run I have had was when Paul (our host) would write or call every once in a while. Really, really helped.
LOL, called him one day. All but screaming that I could smack some one for just one puff. Much later, it was funny.

But any way, what do you folks think? I say we pick a date and do this together. Discuss what seems to work/help etc.

Read a lot of good stuff in Tom's "For old guys" thread. http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=5181&page=156

And brought this to mind.

r.ly.

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Awesome Neil.

My plan of attack is ecigs and the gum. Am so sick of the smoking thing. Was hacking up a lung this morning but couldn't wait to finish that cup of coffee so I could light another cig. Sick stuff.

This is kind of bizarre but I actually enjoy the early nicotine withdrawal symptoms. But a few days into it and I get just plain mean an' ornery. But early on when your chest gets lighter and you can breath easier. Is just the ritual that always gets me.

Had a buddy on a ship once tell me that he wished he smoked. Most of the rest of the deck gang smoked and every hr or 2 some one would say "smoke break" and every body stopped working, sat down and lit up. His contention was as a non-smoker, he couldn't do that.
LOL, but later he caught on and would just say that (smoke break) and we all would.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Congrats Brown!

I have tried Chantex twice. Did not go well. (Just me. Works great for many folks)

I already have pretty wild dreams and will leap from the bed to other furniture in the room while fighting invading aliens, monsters, etc. Always cartoonish and funny.

Last time I did that route, cost $238 and 2 weeks into it, I was waking up screaming about zombies and swinging at people trying to calm me down.

Again, that is just me and many folks have had great success with it. Congrats again Brown. Gives hope and that is a big part of the battle.

Years back I tried wellbutrin. Gonna ask my doc if that is still used. Really seemed to help.

and wouldn't have thought about it if you hadn't posted. So thanks again.

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
Good luck boys. I've had 3 good cold-turkey runs: 3-years, 7-years, and my present 14-years. Those first two quits ended with: "I'm in control of this now; certainly I could have a ciggy or two once in a while.". Never again, and I STILL MISS EM!

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Kioshk! As you have been there and done this, ya gotta chime in here and there.

Way back I was working for my high school buddy's Father and I said I wanted to quit smoking. I respected this man greatly. He looked me in the eye and said "after 20 years, when I am under pressure. I pat my pocket" (as he patted his shirt, breast pocket to show me) and look for my pack"

20 dang years! freaked me out.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I just don't understand all the fuss. Quitting is EASY. Ask me.

I've done it lots of times.

And you want to know what's really stupid? My dad, borrowing a phrase from the gun folks, used to say, "I'll quit when they pry my cigarette from my cold dead hands...They did, after his emphysema got him.

Tom

outlawbiker

Mar 15, 2009
Chicago NW Suburbs
ive been trying to quit all this year, its been terrible. I developed asthma while doing time in prison because there was nothing else to do but chain smoke. The doctors there told me to expect emphysema by my 30's at the rate i smoke. But even now I tell myself "I got to quit,this is killing me". I can barely breathe and I getting way out of shape because of having to stop doing whatever so often to catch my breath.

Closest I have been to quiting was 08' i was in cook county jail doing 30 days,they cut out smoking in there since last time i was in. I had no withdrawals,it was awesome,till i got released,as soon as i hit the street in front of the place i was like "someone give me a smoke now!"

I've been smoking now for 19 years, and i just had my 34th birthday. Every time I wake up Im telling myself,"well today is the day I quit" but before you know it im outside on the deck with a cup of coffee,a beer,or a stiff drink and screwing a Marlboro in to my mouth.

I wish I could join you Dan,but i would be lying if i said i could start today because i keep falling back into this vice,these damn cigarettes have been more powerful than any addiction to narcotics ive done in the past,at least with drugs i could stop and have been clean for years without a thought of doing em again.

I think its being used to repetitive nature, i wake up and smoke,when im bored i smoke,before watching a movie i smoke,when i work on something or take a break i smoke. its very hard to break that when you've done it for so long like its a normal part of life.

Good luck to all of you that join Dan and quit,i really hope you can make it.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I just don't understand all the fuss. Quitting is EASY. Ask me.

I've done it lots of times.

And you want to know what's really stupid? My dad, borrowing a phrase from the gun folks, used to say, "I'll quit when they pry my cigarette from my cold dead hands...They did, after his emphysema got him.

Tom
Sorry about your Dad, Tom.
Mine drank his legs off (diabetic) As they took parts off his body, the guy kept going. Not kidding his tabs cost more then the plot and service.

LOL I am paraphrasing but one of my favorite intros/prologs to a Winston Churchill's biography was "...and he was a great man of honer. I have seen him quit smoking and drinking time and time again"

When I was in school, I quit smoking every Monday and drinking every afternoon class.

ive been trying to quit all this year, its been terrible. I developed asthma while doing time in prison because there was nothing else to do but chain smoke. The doctors there told me to expect emphysema by my 30's at the rate i smoke. But even now I tell myself "I got to quit,this is killing me". I can barely breathe and I getting way out of shape because of having to stop doing whatever so often to catch my breath.

Closest I have been to quiting was 08' i was in cook county jail doing 30 days,they cut out smoking in there since last time i was in. I had no withdrawals,it was awesome,till i got released,as soon as i hit the street in front of the place i was like "someone give me a smoke now!"

I've been smoking now for 19 years, and i just had my 34th birthday. Every time I wake up Im telling myself,"well today is the day I quit" but before you know it im outside on the deck with a cup of coffee,a beer,or a stiff drink and screwing a Marlboro in to my mouth.

I wish I could join you Dan,but i would be lying if i said i could start today because i keep falling back into this vice,these damn cigarettes have been more powerful than any addiction to narcotics ive done in the past,at least with drugs i could stop and have been clean for years without a thought of doing em again.

I think its being used to repetitive nature, i wake up and smoke,when im bored i smoke,before watching a movie i smoke,when i work on something or take a break i smoke. its very hard to break that when you've done it for so long like its a normal part of life.

Good luck to all of you that join Dan and quit,i really hope you can make it.
Outlaw, give it a shot. Your amongst friends and am sure many of us (read, me) are gonna fail and falter. What the h***, give it a go. Just us and no judgment. Just a bunch of folks helping each other.

Kinda think your gonna be the voice of support a yr or 3 from now. Give it a shot. Never know Buddy.

.wee.

Last edited:

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Dan, years ago there was a lady that worked for me that wanted to quit. At the time, she smoked 2 packs a day.

I devised a plan where she gave me $10 every day with the understanding that I would save the money for her. She kept up the payment every day (was the approx. amount she was spending on the cigarettes) for 4 months. There were some tense times, as she didn't have the funds to buy a pack. However, at the end of the 4 months, she had kicked the habit.

I then gave her approx $800 --- I don't really think she realized how much she was spending on her habit. She had been trying to save for a down-payment for a newer vehicle for over a year. She took the money and was able to get a better vehicle. Win all the way around!!

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
I asked myotber what she wanted for her birthday 10years ago.She said "for you and your father to quite smoking" I didn't know what to say.She followed it up by handing me a sheet of paper with the name of a hypnotist and date to go.So me and dad went all g with 100 other people.We sat in chairs while he tried to get us to relax.It was not working at all for us.So after a your or so he ha died out a CD and said listen to it when. You want a smoke and when ever you have time. SK I left there and lit up a smoke.I continued to smoke but I listen to the CD and a few times I was out j. Space somewhere lists king to this ghh talk about how bad they were for you.Then one day I found d.myself 1/2 way through the day with out a smoke.So I bad one. About 2 weeks later i had quit. I still re.ember one part of the CD..." they are not your friends,your.Buddies or your pals"

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
Xseler addressed exactly what I was gonna touch on: I can't imagine how you guys can afford the habit now. I quit in 2000, and I think I was paying about $2.50 a pack. I already spend a pack-of-Marlboro a day on Budweiser; there is NO way I could afford the smokes in 2014. I started smoking at 15-years-old after visiting my cousins in Ireland and England. Everyone over there smoked back in the '80s and I figured when I went back again, I'd need to be well-versed in fag-sucking (LOL) to be socially polite. Well, I learned to smoke, and learned well. By my first year in college, I was never without a cig. Back then (1986), a pack of Marlboro was about $1.50...and the awful "YOURS" cigarettes were $0.99 . I know this because one Sunday afternoon at school, I was broke and in desperate need of a ciggy. I walked from Buffalo Sate College to SUNY Buffalo University (just under 5-miles) along the train-tracks to bum cigs offa my buddy there. I collected discarded cans on the way, and had enough to exchange at a 7-11 for a pack of "YOURS" (blech!). Mind you, this was not the bargain-basement: back then I would also partake in "BUGLER" roll-your-own cigs. Enough tabakky and rolling-papers for 50-cigs = $0.50. Non-filtered, but they were actually very good. $0.01 a cig...can't beat that.

All That being said, I eventually could "afford" to smoke, and I enjoyed exotic stuff...eh...now I'm rambling.

Just quit, OK?

Albula vulpes

Mar 16, 2010
FL
I quit by weaning myself off on to other products. Went from cigarettes to dip/chew to smoking a cigar and not inhaling. It has been 15 years and haven't smoked a cigarette since.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Xseler addressed exactly what I was gonna touch on: I can't imagine how you guys can afford the habit now. I quit in 2000, and I think I was paying about $2.50 a pack. I already spend a pack-of-Marlboro a day on Budweiser; there is NO way I could afford the smokes in 2014. I started smoking at 15-years-old after visiting my cousins in Ireland and England. Everyone over there smoked back in the '80s and I figured when I went back again, I'd need to be well-versed in fag-sucking (LOL) to be socially polite. Well, I learned to smoke, and learned well. By my first year in college, I was never without a cig. Back then (1986), a pack of Marlboro was about $1.50...and the awful "YOURS" cigarettes were $0.99 . I know this because one Sunday afternoon at school, I was broke and in desperate need of a ciggy. I walked from Buffalo Sate College to SUNY Buffalo University (just under 5-miles) along the train-tracks to bum cigs offa my buddy there. I collected discarded cans on the way, and had enough to exchange at a 7-11 for a pack of "YOURS" (blech!). Mind you, this was not the bargain-basement: back then I would also partake in "BUGLER" roll-your-own cigs. Enough tabakky and rolling-papers for 50-cigs = $0.50. Non-filtered, but they were actually very good. $0.01 a cig...can't beat that.

All That being said, I eventually could "afford" to smoke, and I enjoyed exotic stuff...eh...now I'm rambling.

Just quit, OK?
Been doing "rollies" for years. does slow ya down and every time I buy a pack, choke like ****. More chemicals in the store bought.

ramble on. it helps and is a good thing.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
As a group and open to suggestion, we aim for August 31st?

It is a Sunday. So we can sleep in and later be unpleasant.

wut?

Last edited:

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
If it's any impetus to consider quitting, Dan's "rollies" reference reminded me of my VW Van days and John Muir's "How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive : A Manual of Step-By-Step Procedures for the Compleat Idiot". He used to advise that the proper amount of time to warm-up your VW Van was the time needed to roll a cigarette and smoke it. Keep in mind this genius died of lung-cancer.

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
I just realized that my statement "this genius" may have come across as flippant; I meant it sincerely...John Muir was a beloved genius. My point is is that nicotine addiction is very real and even stronger than reality. Too many good people have died in tobacco-agony because of it. Don't let the pleasing effects of that drug allow you to put you intellect on stand-by. I was fortunate enough to beat the addiction (for 14-years thus). If you MUST feed that false mistress, PLEASE serve it vaporized or patched nicotine.

(typed whilst swilling 16oz Buds)

Last edited: