california laws on motorized bicycle help!!!!

GoldenMotor.com

gr8dane

Feb 10, 2017
orange county
hello i am new here and i have been thinking about building a motorized bicycle for a few years now!!! and i just realized that there are some laws regarding gas motorized bicycles!! i just bought a 66cc bicycle kit although i am now considering returning it. it turns out you need to have a m2 motorcycle endorsement and you need to register it through the the dmv ugghhhh :/
i have heard that it is a pain in the ass to register or get your m2 license with a motorized bicycle through the dmv plus i am under the age of 21 so i think i have to take like the motorcycle rider training course. i mean I'm not sure what they would think if i showed up at the course with a bicycle with a motor attached! i mean is a police officer really going to pull me over on one of these things? its just a bicycle you ride these things in the bike lane!!! i will be riding in orange county more specifficly Newport Beach and Huntington Beach! any tips or ideas will be appreciated!!!!

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Newport Beach and Huntington Beach know the CA MB laws and enforce them.
Yes, eventually you will get pulled over. I know many riders in your area.

Getting the CA MB plate is easy, just mail the form in with $21 to a DMV PO box.

CA motorcycle rider training courses provide the motorcycle you train on.
I took it many years ago even though I already had an M1.
I would highly recommend taking the course even if you were over 21.
Taking the course gets you your M1 drivers license.

Don't waste your time getting an M2, get an M1, it's the same test.

Last edited:

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
To get a license plate just go to the CA DMV website and download and print out reg 230 CA DMV Motorized bicycle application. When filling it out, under VIN Number use the serial number of the bike, for engine number use the serial number with an E in front of it for "engine", leave the plate number blank, send in with check or money order for $21. Your plate and registration will arrive in a few weeks which is good for the life of the bike and has no annual renewal fee.

Reactions: PaperBoy2000

malatious

Sep 23, 2014
Riverside, CA
I live in Riverside, CA and have 2 motorized bikes. Both have been registered and have the plates which are no big deal, they don't even inspect your biked, just issue you the plate. I have a M1 indorsement but my son just has his regular DL, but is planning on taking the course. Neither one of us has ever been pulled over. That being said, the motorcycle course is well worth the cost and the info and tips you learn there could save your life. You use their motorcycles to take the coarse. You can bring your own but it has to meet their safety standards, so I would not even try to bring a motorized bicycle there. I see motorized bicycles all the time without plates, so I'm sure the person riding them probably doesn't have an motorcycle indorsement. It's not hard to be in compliance with the law, it just cost a little more. The piece of mind it gives you is well worth the cost.

telthesky

Feb 12, 2017
Napa County, California
To get a license plate just go to the CA DMV website and download and print out reg 230 CA DMV Motorized bicycle application. When filling it out, under VIN Number use the serial number of the bike, for engine number use the serial number with an E in front of it for "engine", leave the plate number blank, send in with check or money order for $21. Your plate and registration will arrive in a few weeks which is good for the life of the bike and has no annual renewal fee.
Hi, I'm new here too. You mentioned putting an E in front of the engine serial number. Does it matter how many digits there are in the engine serial number? Is it 4 numbers after the E, or is it 7 numbers after the E? Does it matter?

Thanks for info!

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
Hi, I'm new here too. You mentioned putting an E in front of the engine serial number. Does it matter how many digits there are in the engine serial number? Is it 4 numbers after the E, or is it 7 numbers after the E? Does it matter?

Thanks for info!
Sorry to be unclear. Most of the 2 stroke 'china girl' engines have no serial number stamped on them so when the DMV form asks for the engine serial number, it is acceptable to use the bicycle serial number and put an "E" in front of it in the spot on the form for engine number. "E" stands for engine. If the engine ever fails and you want to put a new one on your bike, you will not need to change your DMV registration. The number of digits of your bicycle serial number will vary according to the make and model of your bicycle as well as what number off the assembly line your particular bike was. Bicycle serial numbers are often stamped on the frame usually under the peddle crank. If your bicycle has no serial number it is recommended that you create one yourself and stamp or engrave it on the bicycle frame so it can be identified as belonging to you.

Last edited:

telthesky

Feb 12, 2017
Napa County, California
Hi Tyler,
Thanks for the quick reply! My Diamondback Outlook does have a serial number right where you said it would be. It's a series of letters and numbers. So, as you said, I will just put an E in front of it and submit that to the DMV. And, in the slot for VIN I can just put in the Bike serial number without the E in front of it.

I already have an M1, I wonder if that helps get the plate quicker. (probably not).

Thanks for your really cool info. I appreciate it very much!

Last edited:

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
Hi Tyler,
Thanks for the quick reply! My Diamondback Outlook does have a serial number right where you said it would be. It's a series of letters and numbers. So, as you said, I will just put an E in front of it and submit that to the DMV. And, in the slot for VIN I can just put in the Bike serial number without the E in front of it.

I already have an M1, I wonder if that helps get the plate quicker. (probably not).

Thanks for your really cool info. I appreciate it very much!
That is correct. Here is the form
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1dmy&urile=wcm:path:/dmv_content_en/dmv/forms/reg/reg230

Last edited:

telthesky

Feb 12, 2017
Napa County, California
Just downloaded, printed, filled out, signed, ready to go. For make and model I put the make and model of the bike. (Diamondback, Outlook).
Now I just have to make sure I send them the right amount of money. I've seen $17, $18, and $21. I'll just send $21 unless its more for 2017.
Thanks again Tyler!

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
That is all correct. The fee seems to go up $1 every year, it is currently $21 but there are no stickers or renewal.

brnot

Last edited:

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
Enforcement, or lack of it, varies from city to city. From my experience, most beach city cops are pretty strict on the rules, and most inland cops don't care. But all it takes is one jerk cop to ruon your day, no matter where you ride.

You can usually get around with just the plate and a DOT helmet, but it's not that tough to be fully legal. Even just getting an M1 permit is easy. Good for a year, but you can't ride at night.

To be fully legal, you need a plate, DOT helmet, M1 or M2 license, and your bike needs a headlight, taillight, brakelight, horn, and left mirror.

telthesky

Feb 12, 2017
Napa County, California
Tyler!! I got the license plate and registration in the mail today!! I am so jazzed!!
Now before I take my bike out for a legal spin, I better get mirrors and a horn I guess. And a light for night riding, in case I take it out at night.
Oh, and I better call my insurance guy, just to get some liability on this.
Tyler.....thank you soooooooo muuuuuuuuuuch!

Lindar.ly.

malatious

Sep 23, 2014
Riverside, CA
You don't need insurance on the motorized bicycles, that is one of the things that make them a good deal. That and over 100 mpg. I did have my first police encounter the other day. I was sitting in the left turn lane, when a motorcycle officer pulls up beside me. He looks at me and says, "What are you doing on that thing?" I say, "Aren't I legally allowed to be on it." He says, "How many CCs is that?" I say, "49." He says, "Do you have your M1 endorsement?" I say, "Yes Sir." He says, "A motorcycle would be safer." I say, "I have a Goldwing but this gets over 100 mpg." He says, "Where are you headed on that thing?" I say, "To the credit Union and to run some other errands." Then he ask me if I like my Goldwing and we talk back and fourth about which motorcycles we like the best. The light turns green and he says, "Be careful," and we take off. For a few moments, I thought he was going to make me pull over and show him my license and registration but then he kind of chilled out and was OK. I wasn't concerned, I had my bike register and had the plate on the back. Also, had a light, turn and stop signals, and a horn. Any other time I have gone by the police they have barely even glanced up at me. It does give you good peace of mind to have everything legal.

Reactions: GarageLife714

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
Tyler!! I got the license plate and registration in the mail today!! I am so jazzed!!
Now before I take my bike out for a legal spin, I better get mirrors and a horn I guess. And a light for night riding, in case I take it out at night.
Oh, and I better call my insurance guy, just to get some liability on this.
Tyler.....thank you soooooooo muuuuuuuuuuch!

Lindar.ly.
Sweet!! It's great having the license plate on the back! When other drivers see it I have found that they seem to notice me more often and give me more of the road. I need to put a horn on mine too. I've been looking for a good one. I got some of these lights because I like the mounts that came with them, they totally surround the light so it won't vibrate loose and you can still remove them during the day or to use them as a flashlight at night. I put 2 of them on and they are very bright.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/191209420887?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
Ride Safe! Hope to see you out on the road!
brnot

Last edited:

PaperBoy2000

Jul 25, 2018
Just downloaded, printed, filled out, signed, ready to go. For make and model I put the make and model of the bike. (Diamondback, Outlook).
Now I just have to make sure I send them the right amount of money. I've seen $17, $18, and $21. I'll just send $21 unless its more for 2017.
Thanks again Tyler!
Hello, I'm trying to figure out this form so I can print and send it to CA, The only thing on the form that I cannot figure out is the space which is on the top right line which asks "California license plate". What should be put in this spot of the application?
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1dmy&urile=wcm:path:/dmv_content_en/dmv/forms/reg/reg230

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
Hello, I'm trying to figure out this form so I can print and send it to CA, The only thing on the form that I cannot figure out is the space which is on the top right line which asks "California license plate". What should be put in this spot of the application?
You don't have a license plate number yet, they will assign you one, just leave it blank or write "New" in the space.

Last edited:
Reactions: PaperBoy2000