Black Betty...

GoldenMotor.com
Aug 17, 2011
Springfield IL.
Also, the chain that was included in the engine kit was way too short for this loooong bicycle....
I purchased a 10' length of chain, number #41 as I recall, and if I remember correctly, the 41 chain is a little smaller that the chain that came with kit (415?).

Motakitty

Feb 14, 2015
San Jose, ca
Thanks that does help. Mine rubs on the lower part of the frame behind where the kickstand is. The chain also just barely rubs the tire and makes a black marks on the white wall no big deal. Everything is tight but I think if I space the motor up just slightly it'll help

Aug 17, 2011
Springfield IL.
Here is a little tip I learned to get the best "height" for engine in the Micargi frame.

1. Remove chain guard, install 1/8" spacer on top of pedal chain above chain ring. Then reinstall chain guard with rear fastener only. This will lower the chain guard as far down as possible, and allow 1/8" (spacer) clearance between chain and guard.
2. Posistion engine high enough to clear guard, and then lower engine until engine almost touches guard.
3. Re-drill chain guard frount mounting screw.

This procedure will allow full use of (lowered) chain guard, and will elevate the engine to clear the guard. The engine should now be at a height where the drive chain clearance shouldn't be an issue.

I also used an aftermarket chain tensioner for the drive chain, as I don't care for the appearance of the tensioner that came in the kit.

No other tensioner was needed for either drive chain, or pedal chain.

And I assume the Puma and Mustang are identical frames besides the upper section. I don't know this for sure though!

Also, Im using a 36T sprocket in rear. I could see a larger sprocket causing a clearance issue with frame.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Springfield,
Sure wish you'd have had this bike done and could have made the 'Midwest Cruise' with us. Maybe next year?
Nice build. Thanks for sharing the details with us.

Tom

Aug 17, 2011
Springfield IL.
Thanks Tom!
I realize you traveled over 1000 miles to attend the Midwest Cruise.
WOW!
Do you attend the Portland meet in Indiana?
Its a lot of fun!
Its July 17th - 20th.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2011
Springfield IL.
Its been a few days since doing anything with this fun project.
Been busy with other things, and its been raining non stop.
Tonight, I had a beer or 2 in the shop, and just stood there admiring this simple creation! With a big smile on my face!
I plan on taking it out tomorrow for a nice long ride!

Aug 17, 2011
Springfield IL.
Today I went for a nice long ride!
Smile on my face!
Then I cleaned up the shop.
I gathered a few items that I had ordered from gasbike.net, and I needed to return them, as they were not needed.
Gasbike.net requires you to call and get a RMA (return merchandise authorization) from them, prior to returning. Ive called their number a few times in the past, and it just played elevator music, and I never actually talked to a person, or was givin a voice-mail option.Once again I called today, lisened to elevator music for about 5 minutes, and finally someone answered the phone! I was told that I could not return the merchandise because I was 2 days out of their return policy!

My smile went to frown quickly.

NO MORE ORDERS FROM GASBIKE.NET

They will not be getting any future business from me.

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=59381

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2011
Springfield IL.
Well, my original return was a wide pedal crank kit. I ordered one without the conversion. Once received, I realized I needed the conversion kit. They don't sell just the conversion kit. So I ordered another complete crank kit with conversion, and wanted to return the first one!
But they require a return authorization prior to sending an item back. I attempted to call several times, but all I get was elevator music, and no voice mail.
Today, I finally got through to a real person, and was denied a return because I received the items on 6/16/15, and today is 7/9/15.
I opened a paypal dispute, and I believe paypal has my back!
So to answer your question....
I originally wanted to return a wide crank kit without conversion, but NOW Im going to return everything I have purchased from them more recently! This includes the crank kit, rubber mounts, chain tensioner, expansion chamber, another expansion chamber, X-port exhaust port, velocity stack, Air intake manifold, Stainless screw set, etc.
And no more anything from gasbike.net
Here is a thread detailing my experience with them, as well as other forum members that experienced poor customer service from gasbike.net:

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=59381

Aug 17, 2011
Springfield IL.
What better way to end a stressful day, than to go for a long ride!
The rain finally stopped, and although the streets were still wet, I took her for a long ride, and all went well so far. Had to adjust the idle, but other than that, all went well!

Aug 17, 2011
Springfield IL.
WOW!
What a loooong weekend!
I took Black Betty on little vacation.
Put a lot of miles on her!
We started off in Wauseon at the antique motorcycle swap meet.
Then we went to Portland Indiana at the vintage bicycle/scooter swap meet.
Then to the drag races in Muncie.
And finally visited Amish country in Aurther Illinois.
I managed to take a few cell phone pictures. I wish I had taken a better camera. I will post photos latter on!

Aug 17, 2011
Springfield IL.
After my mini vacation, I decided to install the speedometer I recently purchased.
Thanks to "Mike B" and his recommendations on the Garmin.
The unit is a little pricy at $90 delivered, but its small, illuminated,no cables, no wires, and no radio frequency interference!
Works just like its suppose to.
Ive traveled 46 miles so far since installed, with a top speed of 29.7 miles per hour and still using my break-in fuel /oil ratio .
I certain this speedometer will come in handy as I try out different expansion chambers, once the motor is broke in.

Attachments

Aug 17, 2011
Springfield IL.
On my 4th tank of fuel and broke in now!

With the help of the new speedometer, Ive been experimenting with different exhaust and chambers, in hopes of increasing my top speed a little!

Spent several hours playing with the stock exhaust. Its been suggested that drilling 3 small holes in the end cap will increase top speed. Others has suggested removing the end cap all together.

While it was louder and seemed faster, the speedometer proved me wrong! It was actually faster and quieter with an un-modified muffler!

GoreWound

Dec 1, 2014
Canada
I have had good luck with a long, straight pipe.
they look good, and by adjusting the total length you can dial in your back pressure.
sounds good to.

Motakitty

Feb 14, 2015
San Jose, ca
Hey I was looking through your pics again and just noticed you have a front brake. Did it just bolt right on and what brake caliper is that and how much better does it stop it. I'm looking at doing the same thing.