what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com

Skarrd

Oct 13, 2010
Chandler, AZ
Mocked up how the mounting plate will be welded in for my 99cc pred motor. Taking it next door to my neighbor tomorrow (professional welder) so he can help me weld it together

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Just ordered this Dellorto clone carb from Bicycle-Engines.com. Actually has a mixture screw adjustment! Will certainly come in handy on my upcoming Colorado camping trip!!

Reactions: wildwood

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Received my new carb today ----- all the way from Bozeman, Mt! Doesn't get much faster than that! Looks like I've got a Friday project.

Seems to be well built. It probably weighs 3 times the NT carb. Looking forward to the road test.....

wildwood

Jul 25, 2017
Got a cheap one and runs better then the others I built. No jetting, no cleaning of the bore, and no rust in the tank....wow a first for me and I built it for me....

Attachments

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Will be waiting for a report, no jet changing will be good.........Curt
Wasn't able to work on the bike until this evening. First start-up was no different than the NT --- started before one complete revolution of the pedal crank. The choke has an automatic release. After it starts, you twist the throttle to wide open and it clicks the lever to the off position.

Was a little rich on the factory setting. Turned in the screw and the engine smoothed up ----- very sweet!! Hopefully, Tuesday will give me some time to take an extended test ride. Will give a more detailed evaluation then.

On a different note, I now own a CNS V3, an RT, an NT, and a Dellorto SHA clone. In order, so far, each has been better than the previous one. Fingers crossed that the trend continues!

wildwood

Jul 25, 2017
I tried to get a quarter of a inch gap out of the front motor mount. Tried cutting my air box to get around the triple Dimond gt frame...still no go. I'm getting the short intake next weak..I made a exsost mount while I was tinkering and made my chain run smoothest then ever..I dunno what made the difference of those two but wow my bike has almost nill vibration compared to yesterday. The exsost is tightly held in place buy a coster break strap and a old reflecter bracket and all I did to the chain one link came off and snuged up some lose links I didn't even move my pully. I'm about to ride her again with a 40 to 1 mix done broke in 75 miles ago just had to run the tank empty

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Wasn't able to work on the bike until this evening. First start-up was no different than the NT --- started before one complete revolution of the pedal crank. The choke has an automatic release. After it starts, you twist the throttle to wide open and it clicks the lever to the off position.

Was a little rich on the factory setting. Turned in the screw and the engine smoothed up ----- very sweet!! Hopefully, Tuesday will give me some time to take an extended test ride. Will give a more detailed evaluation then.

On a different note, I now own a CNS V3, an RT, an NT, and a Dellorto SHA clone. In order, so far, each has been better than the previous one. Fingers crossed that the trend continues!

Turns out this carb isn't completely adjustable without switching jets --- you can fine tune it once you've got the closest jet to optimal.

The carb as from the factory topped out at less than 30mph (I've done 45mph with the NT). OK, no problem. I'll just use the jet I was using in the NT ( a 62). Well, the factory jet in this carb is a 58!! I did try the 62 for 'kicks and giggles' just to see....made it 4 stroke more.

The air filter in this carb is a layered metal mesh that would seem to be less restrictive. However, that isn't the case! It was hard to blow through it, so I tried the stock setup without the filter. Had less 4 stroking and a higher speed. So, I just ordered a K&N type filter to fix that issue. The only 56 jet I found was $14.95.........not yet! I'll probably get a precision drill bit set so I can solder and drill my own jets.

Why not stick with the tried and true NT carb, you ask........well, where's the sense of adventure in that??!! .weld

Reactions: wildwood

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
Sometimes, the best thing you can do for your bike is to just take a ride! A relaxing 25 mile loop around a local lake was the perfect improvement ------ for me!
Haha yes. I found people to ride with but they never actually want to ride... Only 3/4 mile to the damn bar. It's like, "I started up my bike, put on my helmet and gloves for THIS???!!" I end up doing those 25mi rides by myself.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
Had 3 new bikes ready to sell, but lacked time to run in the motors a bit more and do adjustments. Yesterday was slow so I put 16 miles on each, and will adjust and take pics today for an ad.

Today, old bones are really feeling that total of 48 miles yesterday : (

On the PK80, going up a long, steep hill, I caught up to and passed a city bus - the 2 A80s will never do that, but the vibration on the PK can be annoying enough that I still like the A model better.

wildwood

Jul 25, 2017
My motor crapped out the other day in a bad way. First the main bearing on the mag side went, that caused the rod to throw the piston into the head gasket, and a piston ring cracked. I was waiting till Thursday for my paycheck to repair my motor I was going crazy being down. I just ordered another motor right before my break down. Yesterday I was sitting in my house reading about bearings and pistons when a knock at the door echoed in the walls. At the door was a guy I helped a while ago with his bike. He wanted me to put his analog speedometer on for him. I told the guy of course and sent him to my shop. This guy's bike had some issues. ..I could see the bearings protruding out the rear wheel and the brakes were so bad I almost wanted to change them probono. He saw I had my motor disassembled I told him what happened and the reason why I think it happened (home made bottom end head gasket sucked into the bearing). You know he told my a guy tried selling him a motor for ten bucks. So I told him if he got me that motor I would rebuild his rear wheel and put new breaks on your ride. Not even ten minutes later I here click click click of a bike coming towards me. The motor was missing only the mag loop and cdi. I got his bike done and sent him on his way. I dug into that motor like a fat kid on chocolate cake. The rod stamped fmn80 and the piston was on backwards. Type b piston is this a gt5a? oh it's not even broken in lol...so guess who got motoring again last night.....? This guy did..you reed what you sow...

James912

Apr 12, 2011
Florida
Rode my bike down about 7 blocks to get a haircut. Still has the crack under the cylinder. Still rides fine...but it doesn't like to wake up in the morning. Best way to repair the crack...jb weld or braizing..hmmm

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
Rode my bike down about 7 blocks to get a haircut. Still has the crack under the cylinder. Still rides fine...but it doesn't like to wake up in the morning. Best way to repair the crack...jb weld or braizing..hmmm
Brass brazing is not an option. Alumaweld is for 'welding" aluminum. It's more of a "solder" rhan a weld because you don't melt the base metal. . It's hard and you can grind it. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Forney-...gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CP7Iveu-kdcCFUqwTwodNmQJGg That's just one type.

Nov 27, 2013
earth
www.Frankenbikes.com
After a delay due to being out of town for a week, and a successful but busy return to work, I have replaced my rear wheel. It was destroyed, spoke and hub, at what I hope is the end of a series of breakdowns and repairs -after a long stretch of no issues.

Gonna be good to get riding again, this week the weather should be nice - The next week it gets cold.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
I was going to go out riding in the woods again, but only checked out my bike before night fall when I arrived there. This was after fixing a few things. I was trying to start the engine and the pull cord had the covering come off and almost jam the recoil starter. Three parts in the center of the cord were all intact though. I cut off the end part and make shift had it work.

I should have known as I need to use something that is smooth, but stronger than plastic to route the cord through the extra protective cover on that side of the bike.

I once had some tuff teflon coated plastic that would be good. Even if I add a metal guide and pulley that would stop the chafing of the cord for a longer while. The angle the the cord has to go through the protective cover is about 35 degrees, so a roller of a pulley I am looking to fasten on it.

Then the engine would only run for a second with the primer bulb. The main jet which is part of the bolt thingy at the bottom of the carb bowl was blocked. There was just a little silt in the bowl which was not bad. The carb I had swapped in place of another that was leaking about a month ago.

Future for swapping in already used parts I will have some going over all the jets I can with fishing line and see air or light through.

I will replace the fuel filter and change the oil real soon before I ride again. Adjust the pads on the brakes to grab earlier. Adjust the steering fork neck end play.

There is one nut that has hex head on the neck. The other is that thin knurled one that always gets me. I can't really lock the two together without two wrenches. I have been currently using a monkey wrench and a crescent wrench to do the adjustment. I would be best to look for a nut that I could replace the knurled one with a hex head.

I also notice in the dirt/gravel type road a sink hole of sorts. It was about 18 inches in diameter and a foot deep. I past it by in one direction in horror, but missed it all together. Then on the way back I passed it and got a good look at it. Rain must be washing under the road, and undermining it. Another guy riding a manufactured dirt bike said he almost lost it as he went through it. I can check to see who might maintain the road, county or forest service and let them know so if they can get to it.

Amarion1

Sep 15, 2012
Bellingham WA
I installed my new 3d motorsport clutch and chain tensioner guard i made. Had to re gear it back to 11.11.1 where I originally had it. Its still hard to get going without stalling so I don't know if I'm going to keep this on. It really opens up the power on this engine though. Its a very nice product. I'll give it a week and see if it grows on me otherwise I'll put it up for sale
View attachment 94954

View attachment 94955 View attachment 94956
I modified the clutch handle to be spring actuated. Much more user friendly than how it came View attachment 94957

This is up for sale in the swap and shop section =-)

Skarrd

Oct 13, 2010
Chandler, AZ
Looked at it. Thought about how to go about fixing it after wife crashed it (she's fine).

Need to replace the front wheel, true the rear, and weld a disc tab on the solid front forks, the monark II forks got messed up in the crash (cries internally)