what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska
Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

weather is a bummer

today my front bolts vibrated out, and i stripped one of my rear mounts in the crank case. im gunna buy a drill and tap im thinking i wanna use larger mounting bolts any suggestions i was thinking 1/4 or 3/8. would 3/8 be too large how bout 7 or 8 mil.

also my cns is a pain to tune. me not knowing what im doin and all

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

"I've studied criminal law, civil law, bankruptcy law; shoulda studied Murphy's Law."

Har, good one Allen.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia

weather is a bummer

today my front bolts vibrated out, and i stripped one of my rear mounts in the crank case. im gunna buy a drill and tap im thinking i wanna use larger mounting bolts any suggestions i was thinking 1/4 or 3/8. would 3/8 be too large how bout 7 or 8 mil.

also my cns is a pain to tune. me not knowing what im doin and all
Most folks up the size to 1/4". I don't think that there is enough metal to go up to 5/16 or larger. The wall thickness of the mounts gets to too thin at those sizes. Look up Al.Fisherman for alternative mounting tricks.

Also there is an excellent thread on tuning the CNS:
http://motorbicycling.com/f34/omg-i-have-tune-cns-help-30169.html

KDB

Jun 19, 2011
Maryland

weather is a bummer
l
This is what I get for relying on a gas bike as my primary mode of transportation:
Twisted my ankle pretty badly while working late. Finally finish up and hobble out to the bike. Flat front tire. Look around the building engineers closet to see if he has a compressor. Nope.
Rain starts pouring down.
No public transportation that late at night, not enough on me for a cab ride.
I got on and rode 10 miles home on a flat front tire.
Lessons learned:
Always have a back-up plan.
You can ride on a flat tire but you can't turn.
Re-injured the ankle falling off and had sniffles for a few days afterwards but still love my gas bike.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

Oh Man KDP. Not fun.
Ya got me thinking I should start carrying a little hand pump again and at least one spare tube.

Feel Better soon!

retromike3

Jan 9, 2009
Beaverton OR

Road my bike to the gym and when I pulled up to the stop light a couple of guys in interceptors pulled up next to me in the right turn lane and said "cool Bike". Waved and took off.

P.S. I always carry two spare tubes a patch kit and pump and tire irons. I even carry a 10mm wrench "just in case".

mike

Last edited:

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.

I carry my patch kit inside the tube a ''heavy duty one'' Ran over nails and thorns this summer same tube is still standing in new tire. Slime Baby!! I don't do road side repair ever...

madcroc

Aug 24, 2011
california

Today was awesome. Went by my local recycled bicycle shop and found a used cruiser bike fork with brake bosses for..wait for it... $4!! It was the only one with the perfect head tube length too. A couple coats of plastidip later and it's good as new - no paint prep and 30 minutes drying time, everyone should have a can of this stuff! It feels so good to not rely on the coaster brake.

My brothers friend gave me a basically brand new dot approved open face helmet that he got on craigslist that he doesn't use.

dnut

Last edited:

KDB

Jun 19, 2011
Maryland

You have all convinced me of what I already should have known: carry a spare.
Well I do now. also a tool kit, 2 oz. of oil and everything else I might need on the road.

Today: finished the break-in period for a new build (Grubee skyhawk on a Trek 800 bike) already sold.

Last edited:

anim8r

Jul 15, 2011
Michigan

my buddy (who's way more experienced with tools & mechanical stuff than myself) cut the pucks & drilled the plates for the final (no foolin') draft of the motor mounts today. We've got em good & square now.

He also found some pre-drilled angle brackets that happened to fit perfectly over the front 2 mag side cover bolts & they even have holes on the top side to mount a wheel.....so the clutch cable roller is coming along smoother than expected.

retromike3

Jan 9, 2009
Beaverton OR

I don't need "slime" because I have a pair of thorn proof tubes and my tires don't go down either (thicker rubber). It took a search to find them but they have worked grate so far.

On my old road bike commuter I had thorn proof tubes and Mr. Tuffy tire liners and I put so many miles on my bike that I had a three inch bald spot on my rear tire before I discovered it.

If you want to debate the SLIME no SLIME again, Lets just agree that we don't agree. and leave it at that.

mike

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

Awesome Anim8ter. It's really cool when stuff just happens to fit.
Seems to happen more by luck then when some thing is supposed to be able to fit. "Interchangeable" never seems to, but dumb luck... lol

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.

I don't need "slime" because I have a pair of thorn proof tubes and my tires don't go down either (thicker rubber). It took a search to find them but they have worked grate so far.

On my old road bike commuter I had thorn proof tubes and Mr. Tuffy tire liners and I put so many miles on my bike that I had a three inch bald spot on my rear tire before I discovered it.

If you want to debate the SLIME no SLIME again, Lets just agree that we don't agree. and leave it at that.

mike
I agree that ya don't ride in the same environment that I do so do not have my experience. I figured this part out by myself. Also how does a said bicycle shop mechanic/owner not have the fortitude to casually find a thick tube? laff

I forgot, two days ago I actually found the company that still makes thorn proof tubes. they make them for 26 by 1.85 and the tires I'm running are 26 by 1.5 so I had to make sure that there wasn't much air in them when I installed them. I have about 2 1/2 hours of ride time on them so far in the seem to be holding up quite well.

One other neat thing is that the air doesn't seem to come out these tires overnight. They seem to have just as much air in them this morning as my first pump them up
This simply has no truth to it. There are tons of thick tubes out there. ''heavy duty ones'' You made some coy posts. I quoted you. S0 what. I did not quote your last post and you mad a reply that made no sense. ''Why no sense because I did not quote you? I was refering to the poor gentlemen that had a flat tire :( Same as you;)You wanna debate ''SLIME'' I'll do it till you are measurable with me. I used it for a good 40 years for a reason!! Guess what that reason was? dance1
Thorn resistant tube | Shop thorn resistant tube sales & prices at TheFind

Amazon.com: Avenir Thorn-Resistant Schrader valve MTB tube (26 x 1.75-1.95): Sports & Outdoors
I love the Kenda's
BUTYL RUBBER THORN RESISTANT BICYCLE TUBES
Kenda Thorn Resistant SV Bicycle Tube 26x1.9/2.125 26"

XLC tubes have up to 4.5mm wall thickness at the tread area! So do Kenda.

Kenda Thorn Resistant SV Bicycle Tube 26x1.9/2.125 26"

Kenda Thorn-Resistant Tube.

Size: 26 1.9/2.125 (1.9" to 2-1/8").
Extra Thick 4.3mm Butyl Tube.
Schrader Valve. Same as Car tires.Kenda

PRICE: $8.99
I am riding on my said tube no problemies . Something that exiting is definitely worth sharing!

Two small nails from a yard clean up I did? I think? Two Pyrocantha thorns. Lots of Goathead thorns and a shard of wire. So there. dance1Found this video..
Slime Tube pucture Demo 002.AVI - YouTube

It is a good Idea to carrie tools and a tube. I travel in the city and any kind of break down wut so ever is absolutely unheard of for me for the most part. ''So I never carry any tools'' I don't even own a portable air pump as I never ever needed it...

Last edited:

Scootmeister

Mar 15, 2011
North Carolina

I agree, Goat. It's kind of risky going with an ordinary tube when you could have a blow out at 40mph. I have replaced all of my tubes with "thorn proof". As you point out, they aren't that expensive, but they are a lot thicker than standard. They seem to hold air much better as well. I don't spend nearly as much time pumping up my tires as I use to. I'm not sure how happy I am with the Bontragers I put over the thorn proof tubes. I know some guys put vintage motorcycle tires (26 x 3) on their MBs, but they're pricey. Balloon tires like the Kenda 26 x 3 look great, but they are kinda thin and I think they are out of production now. Anyone had any experience with them?

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast

Yup, the slime is gud stuff!

I'm gonna get the PG and latex and make my own when I get a round tuit.

I'm beginning to carry a few tools, just to save myself some embarassment.
Never did on the motorcycles with very few exceptions... they were MINE, and I knew what was going to give out next. Took plenty chances and it only let me down a few times. china motor is different.

Finally, got mine put back together after taking the clutch apart to check out the bearings. Basically, I greased 'em and re-assembled it. It's a tad quieter now, and operates a bit smoother... Probably mostly because of the new bucking bar I cut from a grade 8 bolt...

Re-jetted my CNS to one size #drill smaller... STILL four-stroking ALL OVER THE PLACE and too slow to even worry abt going to the radar machine to see what it will do. I'm gonna mess with the ignition next. It just won't pick up the revs.

Gotta work on a camera mount...

Best
rc

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ

Ahh what the heck, I'll chime in on this 'no flat tires' debate too.

I am just not a fan of 'fix it after it's punctured' slime, monkey juice, gorilla sperm, or tiger blood type liquid in a tire.
You balance the tires on your car and that is for the tire, and the speeds I ride I want my tires to NOT cause vibration.

A can of Fix-A-Flat will pump up a tire and seal it long enough to get you to where you can repair it, but like all those other liquids it just isn't something I rely on or want in my tires throwing off the balance, and it's darn messy when you just need a little routine air forever once you have it in.

I won't dispute 'liquid sealants' are dandy stuff, it is just not how I bullet-proof a tire is all.

Front tires are nothing, a good tire and HD tube I get from my local bike shop for a couple bucks more is fine and ya maybe a little Slime is dandy as they are easy to take on and off and fix.

The back wheel on the other hand is a completely different story in my book.
They are a pain in the butt to get on and off for the most part and I want them bullet-proof.

I have said bullet-proof three times now for a reason.
What do you think of with that term? A Kevlar vest? Give yourself a gold star if you did ;-}

There are Kevlar tires out there, a biking buddy bought one for his rear wheel but I found in too hard and it is still something that will wear out and still at an outrageous price.

Kevlar tire liners on the other hand are about $12 and they go between the tube and tire.
They aren't messy, they don't ever wear out, and take it from a desert dweller where every other darn green thing has some nasty thorn or cacti barb just dying to ruin my ride.

My opinion is simple, you can 'Ghost busters' your wheels, or 'Seal Team' them ;-}

Sorry I don't have links or even product names which is sad considering how many I buy from my local bike shop, but you shouldn't have any problem finding them, but when you have it in your hand putting it inside the tire before you mount it with the tube you'll know what I mean.

Again, just my 2¢ worth, take it or leave it.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.

I actually have been up to as much 60 miles an hour on a few occasions. I never do any balancing tire wise my rims and wheels are meticulously straight as a whistle. Something I am very amendment about. I can honestly say I have never noticed any balancing problems. Quite the contrary I think the slime product balances them for me. I would not use it other wise.

Short of having sheet metal for a tire liner I just don't see kevlar helping with the stuff I picked up this summer?

Just like these. It will work just like those bolt on rings they use on semis.
Balancing ring - US Patent 5466049 Description I think anyway. Some tires simply cannot be balanced if they are out of round wheel/tire nutun will help.

I dunno what the so called fix0 flat is about these days? but I remember it growing up it was worthless. We had even tried it on our basket balls. Nothing like catching those when they have landed somewhere wrong lol. I tried just about every thing when I was a kid.

On a better note I played with my carby a little too much . I made a new jet hard to explain. I chucked up a virgin jet I had observing my old main jet. I had a tiny drill bit straight in my drill and gently wobbled my hole in until it was a tad larger where my old jet was before I made it too large. So in a sense the hole in the new modified jet is smaller in the center and larger at the edges. Darnedest thing I think the fuel is atomizing better now! Runs really well!

I am getting ready to start constructing my S6C water kewled Morini full sus bike project soon! I got my parts for it slowly adding up.

I just recently met a guy in the south valley here that has a machine shop too. There is a huge 4 tons in weight I helped him move with a fork lift ''Hydraulic Pipe Bending machine! We will be building a race car there and some stock cars. There is laths and a milling machine there too. Plus better welders than my own!dnutdnutdnut