Go Friction Drive?

GoldenMotor.com

chillphillyphil

Dec 28, 2012
Sarasota, FL
I want a commuter that is reliable, easy to install, and maintain.

I have built four china dolls now all grubee skyhawk gt5s, but it's been my experience that they just aren't reliable enough as a commuter *still love them*, so no hate. It's just a pain to have to mix fuel, fix chains, and keep up with the many hicups these little motors provide.

When I saw there was a honda 4 stroke friction drive kit, I thought my prayers were answered. But I dare not venture forth without some input from my fellow forum friends, so please, if you have any experience with this kit or any sort of friction drive motor, please give me your input.

The 29inch Mountain Bikes I'm looking at:

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/dawes/haymaker2900.htm

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/gravity/29point1.htm

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/gravity/g29ss.htm

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/329ht_29er_mountainbikes.htm

The Motor Kit:
http://cyclehappy.com/friction-driv...it-friction-drive-rear-mount-for-bicycle.html

Description

Friction Drive Rear Mount Kit with the Honda GX35 35.8 cc 1.60 HP Four Cycle - 4 Stroke engine. This engine kit has the 76 mm clutch rotor - 78 mm clutch drum and can be ordered with five sizes drive rollers. The most common size for this engine is: 1-1/8".
This is a complete Rear mount friction drive kit that will mount to most Bicycles.

The kit includes:

One: Honda GX35 35.8 cc 1.60 hp Four Cycle Engine with engine manual.
One: Custom made 60" long throttle cable with the small lever & #16 mini hose clamp.

Four: 8” long Black Nylon ties to secure the throttle cable and stop switch wire to the frame.

One: Remote push button stop switch with connecting end.

Two: ¼” x ¾” x 15” long Aluminum flat bar, CNC machined and Black Anodized.

One: Alloy Skewer - Quick Release, 5m -.80 x 161mm with channel spacers and hardware.

One: "U" Bracket with backer plate, zinc plated with hardware

Four: 6mm x 1.0 x 40 mm Hex Head Bolts.

One: Engine spacer, steel, zinc plated.

One: 76 mm Clutch Drum with 3/8-24 right hand threads.
One: 5/16" Flat Washer - used as a spacer between the bearing and clutch drum.
One: 1/4" thick Aluminum Extrusion channel that is CNC machined and Anodized Black.

(Not a bent thin piece of steel like the others that have tried to copy my product)

Two: 5/8” ID x 1-3/8" OD x 7/16" wide High Speed Double Sealed Ball Bearings with retaining ring.

We use one High Speed Double Sealed Ball Bearing on each side of the Drive Roller to support it and remove all the pressure off the engine.

Most customers will need to order the 1-1/8" or 1-1/4" Max OD drive roller.

The 7/8" drive roller is good for riders over 250 lbs and / or if you have lots of hills with a top speed of about 22 mph. Mostly used with engines 1.10 HP and Higher.

The 1" drive roller is good for riders up to 200 lbs and some hills top speed is about 25 - 27 mph. mostly used with engines 1.10 HP and Higher.
The 1-1/8" drive roller is the standard and most common size for riders up to 280 lbs with mostly flat ground that want a fast top speed about 30 mph. Mostly used with engines 1.60 HP and Higher.

The 1-1/4" drive roller and for riders 165 lbs or less and mostly flat ground 33+ mph.
Mostly used with engines 1.60 HP and Higher.

The 1-3/8" drive roller and for riders 150 lbs or less and mostly flat ground 37+ mph.
Mostly used with engines 2.0 HP and Higher.

About the Engine:

•Honda 35.8 cc Mini 4-Stroke OHC
•OHC engine reduces weight, noise, improves start ability and reduces oil consumption.
•The internal timing belt is maintenance free.
•Powerful, Easy starting, Fuel efficient
•Runs on regular gas (no mixing)
•Quiet - pleasing "low" tone
•EPA/CARB compliant

Last edited:

chillphillyphil

Dec 28, 2012
Sarasota, FL
The store also sells the kit without the motor so that you can pretty much put any motor you want on there and they will accomodate you. They suggest that you can install the honda gxh50 which is 49cc by ordering their clutch and throttle adapter.

Honda GX35:
http://engines.honda.com/models/model-detail/gx35#

Honda GXH50:
http://engines.honda.com/models/model-detail/gxh50

Kit Without Motor:
http://cyclehappy.com/friction-drive-kits/10-friction-drive-kit-less-the-engine-made-in-usa.html

Friction Drive, Rear or Front Mount Kit. No engine or kill switch.

If you want a front mount kit for a trike be sure and click on the front mount kit.

Engine or kill switch is NOT Included.

MADE IN THE USA.

Incluced in this kit: One: Custom made 60" long throttle cable with the small lever & #16 mini hose clamp.

Four: 8” long Black Nylon ties to secure the throttle cable and kill switch wire to the frame. The kill switch is NOT included. Be sure and add the type you want to the order.

Two: ¼” x ¾” x 15” long Aluminum flat bar, CNC machined and Black Anodized.

One: Alloy Skewer - Quick Release, 5m -.80 x 161mm with channel spacers and hardware.

One: "U" Bracket with backer plate, zinc plated with hardware

Four: 6mm x 1.0 Hex Head Bolts 8.8 grade bolts.

One: Engine Spacer, CNC machined and made out of steel, zinc plated. This keeps water from getting into the clutch rotor, more secure mounting of the engine and used for safety.

One: 76 mm Clutch Drum with 1/2" Hole or 54 mm clutch drum with the 12 mm x 1.50 female threads.
One: 1/4" thick Aluminum Extrusion channel that is CNC machined and Anodized Black. (Not a bent thin piece of steel like the others that have tried to copy my product)

Two 5/8” ID x 1-3/8" OD x 7/16" wide High Speed Double Sealed Ball Bearings with retaining ring.

We use one High Speed Double Sealed Ball Bearing on each side of the Drive Roller to support it and remove all the pressure off the engine.

Rear mount kits will come with a 60" long throttle cable with the small black lever and hose clamp.

Front mount kits will come with a 30" long throttle cable with the small black lever and hose clamp.

This kit includes everything except the engine & kill switch.

Your pick of the drive roller is listed here. 15/16" - .930", 1", or 1-1/8".

If you have a 1.60HP Engine and up to 280 lb. rider, mostly flat ground and some rolling hills the 1-1/8" drive roller is the one to pick. Lighter riders will take off faster and it will pull the hills better. You always can pedal the bike at any time. If you have a LEHR Propane 25cc pick the .930" Drive roller.
If you have a Honda GX25 or Robin Subaru EH025 pick the .930" Drive roller.

Your pick of the 54 mm clutch drum with the 12 MM x 1.50 female threads or 78 mm clutch drum with the 1/2" hole & engine spacer for the engines that are listed on the web site plus some others.

Be sure and let us know if you have the Robin Subaru EH025 or EH035, TANAKA PF-4000 Tanaka 33 & 35 cc, Mitsubishi TL23 22.6cc, TLE33 33cc, or TLE43 42.7cc, Honda GX22, Honda GX25, Honda GX31, Honda GX35, LEHR Propane 25cc and some of the China made engines.

Note: We can only make a throttle cable for the engines that we sell or know what type of throttle cable you need.

If you have a China made engine or one that is not listed, you will get a cable and a #48 brass end for you to solder onto the cable.
Measure twice, cut once!!!

If you want to use the Honda GXH50 you will have to add the parts below.

Throttle cable Assembly for Honda GXH50 QXA
and

Honda GXH50 QXA Clutch Adaptor kit.

Last edited:

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
You can get that right now from Staton for $150 like I just did. They make the thing.

Honda 35 is enough, the 50 would be pretty heavy and the motor is off to the side.

You'll like it, I do. Get the 1.125" roller with the 35. If you get the 50, it could pull a 1.375.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Just my opinion.....go with the GX50 as it is a great little engine and should last longer than the 35cc for this application. Personally I would use nothing smaller than 50cc for a 4-stroke engine. They are quiet, simple and reliable....not to mention economical. Build it!

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
You can get that right now from Staton for $150 like I just did. They make the thing.

Honda 35 is enough, the 50 would be pretty heavy and the motor is off to the side.

You'll like it, I do. Get the 1.125" roller with the 35. If you get the 50, it could pull a 1.375.
Cyclehappy is just a reseller of Staton friction drives.
Buy direct from
WWW.staton-inc.com

Mike is giving you good advice.

The 50cc Honda friction drive is expensive as well as a wide load.

My buddy STrotter had one on a tandem.

noisydad

Jun 17, 2009
West Hartford, CT
I've had a Honda GX35 on the similar BMP FD setup for three years now. Good reliability and sufficient power for in-town commuting (I use a 1" roller). Sips gas, too - I get about 25 miles range with the little built-in tank. Can cruise at 20-25 mph comfortably.

chillphillyphil

Dec 28, 2012
Sarasota, FL
Well I'm convinced, that's for sure. Granted - the setup looks awkward being that the engine is off to the side, but It's nice that you can throw a crate on the back and have some supplies with you as well (or maybe not???).

I'm still torn between the motor sizes, but I think that at this point I'm going to go with the smaller 35cc motor simply because I think the size is suitable for the speed and distance I'm looking to achieve. Not to mention the smaller size and weight which is somewhat a factor given that I'm a big guy and am a bit worried about that back tire/rim.

I just don't think you can go wrong with a honda, everything I've owned that lasted was a honda, the notorious one pull starter. Thanks for your guys help in the decision process and to hear testimonials about how reliable they are is very comforting. I'm looking forward to this build :)

I'm sure that I'm going to have some difficulty adjusting this setup for a 29er, but like I said, I'm a big boy and I need that extra circumfrence and double walled rim under me.

Last edited:

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Here's my Staton with a Robin 35 on a Mango Toucan 3.

I removed the stock tank and put a bigger one on the other side of the bracket. Looks a bit better balanced eh?

These are never gonna look as cool as an in frame, but they are simple and reliable and Japanese motors are better than Chinese motors. Even so, I think this came out pretty "smooth"

Have fun!

Len455

Mar 11, 2012
Phoenix az
I did a Dax Titan 50 on a 29er. Your barely going to make the clearance. A knobby tire will buzz and sing and quickly lose tread so I recommend a semi slick. I like kenda's. I say you definitely go with the 50 though, you will not regret the extra power.