ebay kit vs pistonbikes kit

GoldenMotor.com

deskman

Aug 29, 2012
california
Hello,

I've been researching for a bit of time now and I've narrowed down my kit options. I'm a first time builder(never worked with a gas powered engine either, excited to learn!) and I've realized I want a kit rather than buying parts separately.

The first bike is from ebay,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/80cc-2-Cycl...es&hash=item2a1d4ed58d&vxp=mtr#ht_1055wt_1163

156bucks w/ shipping, sounds like a good deal

second bike from ebay as well,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-80cc-Bi...Parts_Accessories&hash=item4166b047dc&vxp=mtr

176 bucks w/ shipping, good seller

lastly, a jet engine, the only one of the three thats branded

http://www.pistonbikes.com/product-p/1bjet80.htm

227 w/ shipping.

my question is whether its wiser to buy a kit from a 99% verified seller on ebay and save 71bucks, or to spend more on a jet from piston bikes?

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
Welcome deskman, You have found the best MB forum there is. A kit is a start. I would hope you have some knowhow about bikes. Makes it easier. If not we have an awnser to any question you may ask, (c)

deskman

Aug 29, 2012
california
thanks!

I'm sure I'll have many questions when I get to actually building. I'm thrilled to build however! I think theres no better way to learn how something work than just building, I built my computer and it was a blast! Same applies here.

My question is if I should spend more money on the jet engine or if I should get one of the linked kits from ebay.

Thank you in advance fella

CubanIngenuity

Jun 29, 2012
Miami
The one from pistonbikes has better throttle and chain tensioner from what I saw, but those can be bought separately if it comes down to getting the better deal. I bought the cheapest kit I could find and upgraded a few pieces later on, which, in my humble opinion, may be the best approach especially if you're just picking this up.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
My advise is buy a Flying Horse motor, from whoever you like best. I bought 1 from BikeBerry. It cost more, but it's the best motor I've ever had. As a matter of fact, the 2 Flying Horse motors I've owned were the 2 best I've ever sampled.

The last 3 motors I bought on eBay weren't nearly as good.

deskman

Aug 29, 2012
california
i know the 'what kit is best' question is an old stupid one, but i figure if i show what ive narrowed down itd be fine.

when i built my computer people on the forum would say, 'im building a computer what do i buy'...and it was the same sort of forum frustration.

shwnrttr

Dec 2, 2009
titusville, florida
i personally used to have a black jet kit, it was alot better than any other kit i put together. it had more compression. accelerated faster. needed some carb tweeks out of the box. smaller jet size,float height adjustment,needle clip setting adjustment. dont let that discourage you from getting one though,all engines will need some tuning out of the box. ive never tried the flying horse kits,but i hear thy are good. i try to steer my costumers away from getting ebay kits. because what you see in the picture, is often not what u accually get. ive built 4 ebay kits, i wasnt happy with any of them.

deskman

Aug 29, 2012
california
thanks for the advice fellas!

i've decided upon the flying horse, its a little cheaper than the jet and thats just a delight!

it says the engine is 8.5" x 7" (disregard width), so i cut out a sheet of paper in those dimensions and placed it in my bike's frame, if it fits will an engine fit? or is that too crude of a way of measuring?

Last edited:

ProMcCown

Mar 21, 2012
California
I don't have any experience with ebay kits or piston bikes kits but another thing to consider (I'm assuming you're a fellow Californian by your location) is shipping. When I was looking for a kit the first place I looked at was ebay but found that most won't ship to or within California. As for vendors most won't ship to or within California either. But if the vendor is in California you might be able to go and pick up one up in person. I got mine off VeniceMotorBikes since they are one of the few that ship within California. I live up north away from most vendors in California and needed one shipped to my home. I haven't had any problems with any component of the kit since I got it.

deskman

Aug 29, 2012
california
hello update for anyone following(iono who would be but i always appreciate when the OP delivers updates..

Well as mentioned, buying in california became a pretty frustrating issue, I figured out the exact kit I wanted from the exact online retailer I wanted for a price I appreciated but found that nobody would ship to me.

Thank goodness VeniceMotorBikes is brave enough to ship in California! I already bought a kit from them and am waiting for it, from what I hear theyre pretty reliable.

I didn't go with an ebay kit...

a. lots of people wouldnt ship
b. i was too afraid of a questionably used kit.

thanks for the tips fellas

nyranger

Sep 2, 2012
CT
thanks for the advice fellas!

i've decided upon the flying horse, its a little cheaper than the jet and thats just a delight!

it says the engine is 8.5" x 7" (disregard width), so i cut out a sheet of paper in those dimensions and placed it in my bike's frame, if it fits will an engine fit? or is that too crude of a way of measuring?
so pistonbikes sells flying horse or is that on ebay