looked at 50cc scooter thought how much better they could be

GoldenMotor.com

douglasseattle

Oct 5, 2010
United States
I have a motorized bicycle and it is fun, but not too reliable. I thought I would like a scooter, but when I looked at them, they seemed so unnecessarily heavy and bulky. I thought how much more I would like a quality motorized bicycle that could weigh in at 55 pounds or so, instead of 200.

Even if they needed a license and had no pedals, I would like to have something light and agile. Maybe with 700 x 32 tires and an aluminum frame. I wish I had a shop!

NormO

Jun 15, 2011
New Brunswick,Canada
You don't want much do you ? I'm just kidding by the way. I have been looking for something like that myself, but have come up short. The only solution i've been able to find is to get a bike from a manufacturer, since they are usually reliable. Then get as much carbon fiber and titanium as you can find. The only problem here is that you can't go under a certain weight. If you do then it is just an off-road machine. I don't know if that's the case where you live but it's a consideration here.

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Yes- scooters aRE too heavy!

I have a 50cc step through- a Honda Passport -type with 16" spoked wheels- that is why I bought it- the larger lighter wheels- still the rims are heavy steel, not alloy- mine has tires 1/4" wider than Honda puts on the Passport- so I can go a bit lighter and better rolling there some day- I have hardly ridden it, but keeping it awhile- the MB's are more convenient and I stilll like to shut off and pedal.

the scooter REALLY does look like a moped if I take the plastic farings off- except NO PEDALS and the frame and bars are heavier-

The three speed semi-automatic makes it faster and the well-muffled 4 cycle motor make it quieter though- You have to shift it up and down, but it will stop in any gear without dying- centrifical clutch I guess. I lashed saddlebag baskets to the seat rail, and just got a HUGE steel wald bike basket I hope to mount on the front- so I can really get some grub or laundry if I want (or need).

But the scooter COULD have a lighter frame- DEFINITELY could have some alloy bars and rims, and a little bit more attention paid towards weight- the shocks could be more minimal , and the front hydraulic handbrake could just be mechanixcal and lighter.

I've had it a couple years or more now, and I think I can always sell it for at least what I paid-if I don't crash it and it doesn't get stolen- the prices keep rising otherwise- I have it in a garage now- I had to leave it covered outside in the apartment I was in.

And yes a bicycle motor that still fits between the pedals- with a two or 3 speed internal tranny would be great-()

Attachments

Last edited: