clutch plate gets too tight and locks up rear wheel

GoldenMotor.com

heretolearn

Dec 12, 2011
Texas
I have an 80 cc engine I just put on a cruiser bike and every thing looks good and tight. When I ride the bike for a while and turn it off, I notice the bike will no longer roll with the clutch handle pulled in. I then have to take off the clutch cover and remove the screw from the plate so I can loosen the flower nut on the clutch enough to let the rear wheel turn again. I ride the bike for a while and the same thing happens. I noticed after I got everything together I and moved the bike back in fourth with the clutch lever in going forward seemed ok but when I would walk the bike in reverse I could hear clicks from the motor that did not sound right. I would appreciate any help if anyone out there has any input on my situation. Thanks

zptzpt

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
First maybe you have the clutch too tight, bad pads, is there residue from the pads on the flywheel? Clicking.... chain, chain alignment, or you may need to bevel the wheel sprocket teeth.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Try adjusting the cable adjuster at the handlebar, or re-setting your cable at the arm instead of the flower nut.

heretolearn

Dec 12, 2011
Texas
Chain seems pretty well aligned and when the wheels lock up the cable adjusting method does not give enough play to allow the wheel to turn. I keep having to loosen the flower nut to separate the clutch plate from the pads. Is there a chance the 10 tooth drive sprocket is to tight. I have already done 4 builds and not one of them has gone smooth.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Chain seems pretty well aligned and when the wheels lock up the cable adjusting method does not give enough play to allow the wheel to turn. I keep having to loosen the flower nut to separate the clutch plate from the pads. Is there a chance the 10 tooth drive sprocket is to tight. I have already done 4 builds and not one of them has gone smooth.
You need about 1/2" slack in the chain. What do you mean the 10 tooth sprocket is too tight?