Old School Eye Candy

GoldenMotor.com

Scootmeister

Mar 15, 2011
North Carolina
It's been several months since I posted photos and a description of my first build, the "Red Hornet". That bike got mixed reviews, some people just don't appreciate Pee Wee Herman like I do! Anyway, since then I've been putting an insane amount of time in a Chrome Giant Stiletto with a 66cc Chinagirl, a custom springer seat, and custom springer front end. Actually, I should call the bike "Frankenstein" because I scavenged parts from OCCs as well as several other brands. The hard pan seat is fabbed from a heavy aluminum frying pan from my father-in-laws restaurant, the front wheel is an OCC wheel re-laced with ss spokes and converted to disc brake with the 3 inch tire that originally came on the rear of the Stiletto. The rear wheel is a 4.25" OCC wheel with a welded seam and re-laced with 12 gauge ss spokes and converted to disc brake. I also used a sprocket conversion in place of the freewheel. The rear fender is from an OCC, the front from a cruiser. Both chains are upgraded BMX (my chinese 415 chains started cracking). The controls are standard MB, but the cables are heavier scooter cables. The AMF Harley tank came from an old 350 sprint. It lifts from the rear and slides out of rubber mounts just like it was originally designed to do. It's held in place by a heavy rubber O-ring, so it comes off in 30 seconds for maintenance. I tweaked the Chinagirl to squeeze out a little extra power to handle the added weight of this build. Shortly I will add a LED headlight, a horn, and a Whizzer speedometer from my parts bin. The configuration on this bike makes it a blast to ride. I hope you like it.

Attachments

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
Very nice work. I've been watching 2-Door (Tom) and now this build. You guys have inspired me to rework my first chopper build and upgrade the wheels, appearance and brakes. Thanks for sharing.
Dan

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Thanks for sharing the fruits of your talents. That's a superb build and one you should be proud of. Thanks for sharing it with the members.
Have fun, ride safe.
Tom

Scootmeister

Mar 15, 2011
North Carolina
Thanks, Tinsmith. I'll check out 2-Door's work as well. Yeh, Wild Alaskan, the seat is surprisingly comfy, especially with the cushy spring action when you bottom out on a pothole. What I really like is watching the front springer action on rough pavement. Anyway, GearNut, I bought the tank because I had a Sprint when I was in high school. It wasn't as fast as the Kawasaki 500s or the Honda 305s, but it was dependable and, hey, it was a Harley! I'm thinking about keeping the tank "el naturale" even though there is some surface rust. After all, this is a rat bobber. What do you think, Gear?

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Just looking at the rest of the bike, I really do not think that rust has any business being anywhere on your bike. Rat bobber? Waaay too nice looking! Either somehow color match some touch up paint for it or re-paint it all together. If you like the Harley effect, the stripes and emblem stickers are available NOS and repop from time to time on Ebay.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Gosh that's an impressive looking motorized bicycle !
and shiney, too!!!

How many miles have you put on it so far?
Best
rc

Scootmeister

Mar 15, 2011
North Carolina
Hi Rusty. Thanks for the comments. I just got the thing put together a couple of days ago, so I only have about 5 miles on her. It still needs a headlight and mirrors to be safe. But by the way she rides I don't think I'll be spending as much time on my other MBs in the future.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Hey 2 Door, how do you power those headlights on the Norton and the blue bike? Is that a battery pack under the seat?
Yeah, Scoot.
There's a 12V 7.5 AH battery. I carry it in a nylon bag that straps onto the seat frame. When I ride during the day I usually just unplug the battery and leave it at home. During the summer when I do a little night riding it takes about 30 seconds to strap the bag on, plug in the battery and go.

The blue Jag, which I sold, had a battery in a metal case that rode under the seat attached to the seat tube.

Tom

Scootmeister

Mar 15, 2011
North Carolina
Rusty, I have two mirrors, but just haven't made the clamps to hold them on the bars. They are old HD hand-me-downs, chrome and rust, mostly rust. I'm thinking I'll soak the rust off then paint them black. Also thinking I'll go with two, it's hard to miss the unguided missiles if you can't see them.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Sorry Tom,

I just couldn't pass this opportunity up, after looking at all the beautiful bikes on here I just wanted to see if anyone could still appreciate some natural beauty, after seeing this pic I wondered, if it doesn't have lots of chrome on it can it still catch our eye?

Well it seems the results are in and the answer is YES.......!

Peace, map

Scootmeister

Mar 15, 2011
North Carolina
Hey Mapbike, I know some don't like the bling factor and that's OK. The truth is, I used a lot of chrome on this build because I learned on my first build that I'm a lousy painter.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I love all the chrome, that wasn't the point I was making in the post, I was using the chrome on the bikes thing in my silly remark as I was making a joke about.......well, just read the post again and I think you will see what I was meaning....... I wasn't saying anything against Chrome on the bikes.

Peace, map