build no.2

GoldenMotor.com

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
starting build no.2 in the next week or so , using a micargi mustang gts , building the trike as I promised the wife , I have been diggin around an cant seem to find good solid braking systems I want a drum front an would like rear disc , any sugestions gentlemen ?
Gary

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Gary,
If you can find a way to adapt them, the Avid BB-7 is a great disc brake. Maybe a little more expensive than their competitors but a good quality brake system.. I highly recommend them after installation on two bikes.
Tom

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
Gary, the only thing I would say about the front drum brake is that I don't think the Worksman is all it's been cracked up to be. I've done several adjustments, and maybe I don't know how to get it dialed in, but at 20MPH I'm looking for the ditch instead of counting on it to stop me. Maybe someone can elaborate on the Worksman drum and enlighten me.
Dan

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
dangit Dan thats what I didnt want to hear , an Tom I love my bb 7 'S on my chop the prob I am faced with is the rotors are directional so used on the right side of the rear you are compromising its stress designs , un less it could be mounted centerally , then your still only getting braking forces from 2 wheels, I really want braking power for her's . gonna keep digging , an run it by ya gentlemen when I find or learn something.
Thanks
Gary

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Gary,
Are you sure the rotors aren't as effective mounted opposite each other? I know the slots are directional, like the rims on some cars, but is there really any effect to the clamping action of the brakes? I don't really think there is. There's certainly an aesthetic consideration to having the rotors 'look' the same from side to side but braking action shouldn't be effected. The rotor on the front of my Switchbalde in on the right side and the Avids are supposed to be mounted on the left but I doubt seriously that it makes a lot of difference. I'm no expert on bike brakes but it just seems to me that when those calipers clamp, somethings going to stop.

As for drum brakes, I have no experience except for a drum/band brake I had on the front of a trike. It would lock up the front tire but it was only a 12" wheel with a skinny little tire with little road to rubber contact. I have no idea how it would perform on a larger wheel/longer moment arm.
Tom

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
Gary, I was hoping my comment would elicit a response from some of the guys who really know about this stuff. I've seen some comments over the years saying it takes awhile for the drum brake to "seat" properly so maybe that's an issue, but I've adjusted my every which way and I wouldn't want to count on it. SB and I were just talking about it last week and both agreed the ditch was the safest way to go.
Dan

glennbo

Aug 24, 2010
HAMMOND
i used longer levers and better cables that made a huge difference in my drum brakes now i can say they are the best i have had on any of my builds

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
wow Dan if the ditch was your best option , thats preety bad , the rotors on my bb7's have groves cut across them to allow break dust to be thrown out , same as with a cars if you run them backwards esentially the dust stays in the brake an can cause brake fade . Thats the only concern I have I may just cross that bridge when I get to it .I always tend to think a step or two ahead when I am building anything that way I am mulling over potential probs an find it easier to solve them , I started to think about having a rotor cut to match for the other side , creating a left hand an a right hand side.
Gary

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
If you want those drum brakes to operate like power brakes, do this simple mod. I did this on the go-kart brake on my ultralight and it made the brake work excellent.
Bolt a small ball bearing sliding patio door pully to the brake arm. run your brake cable around the pully about 180deg about anchor it securely to the frame. This doubles the cable tension when you apply the brakes.

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
Could someone point me in the direction of 24 inch trike fenders for the rear I cant seem to find any one with them in stock been ordering parts for 2 days an thats the stumblin block I hit .

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
The trikes frame came yesterday night an some of the smaller things are starting to show up as well . I was so happy to get the mustang I had to build it an go for its only ride under pedal power an the wife said she would rather wait till its done . but wouldnt it figure as I start getting ready to begin this build my shop is getting slammed with work ....GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.
Gary

Attachments