Can someone please take a look at my pics...make sure all is alright

GoldenMotor.com

Dr. Bob

Jul 7, 2011
Chicago
Hey all...I'm new to the motorized bike experience, but am loving it thus far! I bought my bike recently and know very little about the engine parts, etc. I would appreciate if somebody could take a look at the pics I took, and help me locate crucial components I should know about. Also, let me know your overall impressions with how things look. I woujld greatly appreciate it! Thank you!

Attachments

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
You asked so here is some constructive criticism:

Your chain looks loose. You'll want 1/2 to 3/4" slack no more no less. Also you really need to assure that the tensioner wheel bracket is secure and can not rotate on the chain stay. That will cause you big/expensive and possibly dangerous problems.

Your clutch cable looks as if it is secured tightly to the frame in several places. That can increase clutch lever pull.

Remove and discard the small spring on your clutch cable between the end of the cable and the clutch actuator arm. It serves no useful purpose and will increase clutch lever pull.

Good luck. Have fun and ride safe.
Tom

Dr. Bob

Jul 7, 2011
Chicago
Thank you for the feedback. All feedback is welcomed, as I did not build the bike, but instead bought it already put together. I should mention that I am not really educated about all the components and the terms. so please forgive me if I ask some very basic questions. Yes, the exhaust blows right into the chain/sprocket area, what are my options for changing that?

As for the chain, where is the tension wheel bracket? I've checked everything and all seems to be secure, but sounds like I should do some work on the chain.

Any comments about the fuel line connector?

thanks again

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
Copper pipe fittings match the exhaust exit so I'd say a 45 degree angle fitting would redirect the exhaust. I think it's 1/2" but I'm not sure. You can then drill a hole all the way through and use a cotter key or wire to hold it on.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
As for the chain, where is the tension wheel bracket? I've checked everything and all seems to be secure, but sounds like I should do some work on the chain.
Any comments about the fuel line connector? I personally like the yellow opaque fuel line. I like to see the fuel flow to the carburetor.

where is the tension wheel bracket?

Attachments

Last edited:

tim turbo

Nov 18, 2009
fergus falls mn.
It looks like you do not have a clamp on the carb end of the fuel line . This might be tricky with the thick rubber fuel line. There seems to be a shortage of room for a clamp and the carb with the rubber fuel line. Had the same problem with my other bike, and I used clear fuel line for that section between the carb and fuel filter.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Nice MAB !

suggestions? ...conventional wisdom seems to be the acorn nuts should all be replaced.

I shall do so on my skyhawk engine...

Best
rc

Dr. Bob

Jul 7, 2011
Chicago
Thanks Nougat...small world I guess! :) I recently bought the bike from a guy in Schaumburg, nice guy but just had no use for it anymore. I've really enjoyed it thus far and there haven't been any big problems. Half of the front fender fell off, but that isn't a big deal. As for the possible leaking, I discovered that the switch that opens the fuel line, was off alignment, so when I thought I closed the fuel line path, it was actually still open. That was a simple fix. So for the exhaust, I simply turn it in a different direction,right? The tire upgrade and PSI is good information to have. Again, I'm just learning about all this. I'll let you know if I have questions later down the road. Thanks for responding and well done on the bike, its my first bike but I can tell that it's good work based on other things I've read about and seen on youtube.