Side car for a Mountain Bike?

GoldenMotor.com

UnskilledMachinist

Sep 4, 2010
Oklahoma
me and my Girlfriend was thinking about a Side car for my bike so i can take her with me,
the thing is, i cannot find anywhere i can buy one,
i found this website sidecar
does anyone know where i could buy one? or maybe somone can Fabricate one?
auflg

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Dave 31,
Thanks for the sidecar links all in one place. Sometime I'll pull the canoe sidecar parts of my Firebird build thread and we can stick it in here. It uses the same frame and mounting setup as the kiddie trailer conversion. Lots of good information in the links.
Unskilled machinist,
Unless your girlfriend is child sized your are going to need a strong sidecar frame with substantial attachment to the bike... something like Fasteddy's sidecar (find it in the links) and the additional weight beyond a dog or a couple bags of groceries and you probably will want to go with fixed attachment points so the bike/sidecar is rigid. You would also need to ask yourself if the combined weight of you and your girlfriend are too much for the engine you're using. A lower geared rear sprocket or shift kit would make a difference. A motor powered tandem bike would be another answer to sharing the ride. Yet another would be to build a bike for her. That's the simplest yet and probably the least expensive in time and money.
SB

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
If you want to look up what I did it is on the board trackers and vintage thread, page 5.

If you want more info please feel free to ask. Silver Bear is absolutely correct when he said that you will need to beef up your power train when you add a sidecar for an adult rider. You will also need to go to a 3 point mounting and not build it as a 2 point mount like I did.
I will be adding a 3rd mounting point because the weight of the sidecar makes turns difficult when you try to pull the bike upright as you come out of the turn. Add an adult and I can't imagine how hard it would be.

Anything I have found that can be bought as a bike sidecar is child sized. I'm sure for good reason.

Build it and we will all help. They are a fun ride.

Steve.