whistling motor

GoldenMotor.com

beentryin

Apr 24, 2010
goshen,ohio
i ran my motor about 20 miles today brought it home and took it out about 3 hours later.and it has a whislte to it sounds like its coming from the clutch

psprat496

Nov 22, 2009
New Jersey
i ran my motor about 20 miles today brought it home and took it out about 3 hours later.and it has a whislte to it sounds like its coming from the clutch
I notice these same sounds as well. It's not the clutch gears but when I travel at higher speeds the engine "whistles" loudly. Is this really the sound of an air leak?

Mac

Dec 3, 2009
Maine
One of my PK80's devoloped a "whistle" after about 100 miles, more of a gear "Howl", looked it over, the keyway on the small pinion gear seemed to be jammed up, removed the loc screw, used a bit of loc-tight{blue), put a new keyway on, has not been back since. Hope that helps.
Mac

metalliatic

Mar 14, 2010
Louisville Ky
mine really screams. i have a bigger intake, carb, and expanssion chamber exaust, with a billet head. i think it might just be the air being sucked in to the carb.

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
Did you put a finger tip size dolop of grease on the small gear that drives the clutch gear?(inside the clutch cover)

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
Could the clutch pin and ball need lube or be starting to touch the release lever?

beentryin

Apr 24, 2010
goshen,ohio
Oh, we'll that's most likely the sound of your clutch engaging. When you pull your clutch is it easily pulled or stiff?
its alway been kinda stiff,but its a smooth stiiff if you know wat i mean.i greased the small gear a few days ago,do i just pull the bar out and put grease on it?

demac

Mar 8, 2010
Canada, Ontario, Brampton
it honestly just sounds like the clutch cover, where the gears are located. trying holding your hand on it, hear it that dampens the vibration. You can buy a cover that dampens the noise and wont hear a screech or whistle. ""sickbikeparts"" pretty sure.

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
Yes ,just a mild greasing ,all over it............Idle was why I thought of the bucking bar and ball ,under the cover w/the clutch lever in the center of the drive gear,,,a clutch cover damper (above) sounds good too.......If it doesn't stop,you might try small squirts of WD-40 where the intake manifold bolts on,, and carb. conector,etc looking fot a whistling air leak.