Engine running rough..

GoldenMotor.com

tudorvintiloiu

Apr 19, 2010
Romania
Hi,

I've only been riding my bike for a few days, so the engine is brand new and it's just breaking in. But there something bothering me about it. Maybe you guys can help.

It's running fine when i accelerate.. smooth and strong, but when I release the throttle it seems rough, uneven.. I don't know how to call it. It's like the cycles are irregular and all over the place. Shoudn't it be decelerating equally smooth? I have no experience with 2 stroke engines. Maybe it's normal.
If not.. i'm sure it's a question of mixture, stock plug or something..

What do you think?

Thanks,

Tudor

Reactions: thaifoo

tudorvintiloiu

Apr 19, 2010
Romania
I've fiddled with that screw and it's idling speed is fine when the bike is stationary. It's just a question of deceleration. Like engine braking in a 4 stroke.
Maybe I shouldn't be doing that at all.. from what i read on the internet, engine braking in a 2 stroke is harmful to the engine. Does this mean I can't ease off the throttle while the engine is in load?

Can someone clear this up for me?

Thanks,

Tudor

flybytaco

Metal Molding Madman
Oct 17, 2009
seekonk MASS
yea they have engine breaking for sure man try going fast and letting off throttle and squeeze clutch i wouldnt be to worried

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Hi,

I've only been riding my bike for a few days, so the engine is brand new and it's just breaking in...

It's running fine when i accelerate.. smooth and strong, but when I release the throttle it seems rough, uneven...
This is completely normal - even better than normal for a new engine lol - pretty much all these small 2 strokes will "4 stroke" (fire every other/misfire) when not under load, no matter the mileage, what's unusual is an engine as new as yours runnin' "smooth and strong" at all heh, it's usually takes a few tankfulls for them to break in and run right.

Sounds like alls well :D

Although I will point out that extended engine compression braking is not recommended with a 2 stroke as the only lubrication it gets is from the fuel. Doing it a little or to to assist an emergency stop is fine - just avoid prolonged forced high RPMs w/o throttle ;)

flybytaco

Metal Molding Madman
Oct 17, 2009
seekonk MASS
4 stroking is a good rev limiter and yes like baw said engine breaking for long periods of time are bad but that never happens unless u were being pulled by a truck lol theres supposed to be a layer of oil in the crankcase thats enough to take care of the lube off throttle. run the bike and have fun riding any ?,s just ask we will be glad to help