Easier pedaling with motor off

GoldenMotor.com

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
With the motor off and clutch disengaged, my motorbike is still tough to pedal.
(Road conditions in my area sometimes dictate that I pedal down the sidewalk or multi path for a spell, and I regularly ride unassisted bikes anyway)
If I loosen the star nut enough for easy pedaling, the clutch tends to slip under engine power.
That big chain makes a lot of drag too.

I am trying to devise a way to allow my rear wheel sprocket to freewheel for easier pedalling when desired.
I don't need a clutch system on the rear sprocket that will allow me to engage and disengage on the fly. A mechanical quick release that requires me to stop would be fine. In fact, I dont really need to use compression braking.

I know there are some pricey ways to accomplish this. Anybody got any cheap solutions?

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Azbill's method is good and cheap but I get my hands greasy doing that.
I thought of just releasing the chain tensioner, derrailing the chain and hanging the chain on something (without breaking it) to keep it away from the sprocket. I would get greasy doing that also.

Cabin - I did try regearing and it made for some slow going.

Dan - I had forgotten about the HybriPed - That's an affordable answer

Nougat - the SBP jackshaft allows you to pedal without spinning the engine drive sprocket? How does it do that? If so, I might go with that and eliminate the motor chain if it looks like the lawmen in Ft Bend county are tolerant of gas assisted bikes on their roads.

I have not yet ridden my motor bike in TX, but I will be getting it out of storage in a couple of weeks.

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Are there any reviews of that sprocket yet WB? I haven't seen any and am really curious.

I actually use Bill's method. With testing prototypes, I now carry every tool you would need to build a MB. Along with a plastic bag and exam gloves because there is nothing greasy like drive chain grease, snork. Even worse, I use bacon grease and after it is warmed, becomes very thin. But only remove the chain for break downs.

Side note, bacon grease is the best rusty bicycle chain restorer I have ever found. Makes em look brand new. After it has been on 12 hrs or so it just seeps in and makes em beautiful.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Am wondering too Jay. Seems like a whole lotta torque to be placed on 2 bolts. Might start a thread and ask if any one has tried it. I really like it's simplicity. Another question I have is seems the width might be an issue.

Not in any way speaking badly of a product I don't have first hand knowledge of, just wondering. Solves the problem perfectly. I hate having to pedal to the gas station or home with the drive chain. lol

jbcruisin

Oct 10, 2008
Lebanon, Pa.
Yes. When any of my bikes run out of gas( yes it's happened to me a few times) they don't pedal easy. I'm a little uneasy about 2 studs doing the job, but I sure hope this works. I'll be the first to buy a couple sets. The price is reasonable too.
Jay

Sai

Apr 20, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
I might be a little off the angle of thought. But I thought I might mention that I recently replaced my rear wheel assembly as a result of impact damage. I chose to upgrade to a brake disc hub that has allowed a direct bolt on 38T sproket (no spacers or adaptors or "top hats" required, still using v-brake for stopping). An unintended side effect of the zero run-out set-up of the rear sproket has reduced pedaling effort an unbelievable amount.

shearbf

May 8, 2009
Muskegon,MI USA
Like jumping out of a good airplane, why do you want to pedal a perfactly good motorbike? I think I would just walk it on a walking path like I do the sidewalks around here.