ignition timing adjustment methods

GoldenMotor.com

AussieSteve

Nov 26, 2009
Nowra, NSW, Australia
Offset keys were mentioned earlier in the thread, from memory.

Got my new motor (generator) and did the first tests with it yesterday. It easily produced 66W at 16V, still nowhere near full rpm, so it's looking pretty good.
Once I get everything clamped down safely, I'll do full rpm short-circuit current and voltage tests, then I can start on the regulator and driving mechanics.

exavid

Dec 12, 2009
Medford, OR
Interesting thought about timing changing with engine speed but if the system is triggering on the 0V crossing point I doubt it would change much if at all. When you consider the speed of switching a transistor and the much lower top rpm of the engine it doesn't seem like the CDI would really see a serious change. Since the engine idles around 1000-1500rpm or so and has a top speed of around 9000rpm that would only be a 1:9 - 1:6 ratio change in the frequency change of the ignition speed. Not all that much for the size of the windings in the magneto and components in the CDI.

thimmaker

Jan 25, 2008
Bartlett, Illinois
I have no idea what these engines look like in the magneto area, but it seems to me you should be able to slot the stator a little and attach some sort of external handle so you could start it retarded and advance as needed for speed, just like they did on the old Monark Supertwins from the 50s??

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
thanks Goat for the link. From it I gather that using a heavier gauge wire will do the job since only a lesser number of turns will be allowed onto the housing (because the wire is thicker) which will bring the voltage up which is what I want. It will also change the timing to be more advanced at idle but will increase the amount of advancement less at higher revs which is what I think will allow for more power and smoother running. I'm going to try it.

Thim, as far as changing where the stator mounts on the crank it remains doubtful because I couldn't even get mine to come off! I was prying it with two screwdrivers and it wouldn't budge! No mods can be made to it if you can't get it off.
The magneto rotor,(magnet) can be easily removed if you have the right tool. Ace hardware has a faucet handle removal tool that works perfectly.
Caution: Prying on the magnet can actually bend the crankshaft. The shaft is only about 5/16" in diameter where the magnet rides and prying it, applying too much pressure on one side can compromise the crankshaft. Use a puller, or the faucet tool, to assure even pressure. There is also a woodruff key that can sometimes complicate removal of the magnet. Use care and patients and don't damage the crank seal behind the magnet. Also mark the magnet, inside-outside, so it goes back on the way it came off.
Tom

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
The magneto rotor,(magnet) can be easily removed if you have the right tool. Ace hardware has a faucet handle removal tool that works perfectly.
Caution: Prying on the magnet can actually bend the crankshaft. The shaft is only about 5/16" in diameter where the magnet rides and prying it, applying too much pressure on one side can compromise the crankshaft. Use a puller, or the faucet tool, to assure even pressure. There is also a woodruff key that can sometimes complicate removal of the magnet. Use care and patients and don't damage the crank seal behind the magnet. Also mark the magnet, inside-outside, so it goes back on the way it came off.
Tom
I found that one engine I have if the magnet rotor is on backwards it won't spark. If you take of off turn it over put it back on it works. I wonder if that could be the problem you have? Could have been a rough day at the china engine factory.
I don't know if the other engines will do that cause I mark them before I take them off this one I forgot to mark. I didn't think it would matter on the one I put on backwards but it matters at least this one don't like being on backwards.
Yes if you flip that magnet around the motor will not run.

Ace is the place I did not know they had Ace in Ecuador;):p

Last edited: