Ever get a flat? What do you do?

GoldenMotor.com

cigron

Nov 18, 2009
wormleysburg pa
Flat profing A tire,is not possible according to Murphys
law. I have the tires that came with the bike and A tire liner. I was going about
25 between traffic and parked cars I run over A car key. the key pushed
the tire liner aside and POW the tire blowed.The back of the bike was all over the
place.For years I used continentl town and country 26-1.9 with tire liners
the same thing the police use. In about five years I had one flat.
I ran over A allen wrench.There A little $$$$ but you get what you pay for.
I road to work and back 26 miles round trip so im talking thousands of miles (no motor) dance1

exavid

Dec 12, 2009
Medford, OR
I've never had a flat on my bicycle once I shifted over to using puncture sealing tubes. I've pulled a couple nails out of the tires but never lost appreciable air. As for patching tubes on the road I used to do it by pulling the tube out of the tire with the wheel still on the bike. Pump it up, find the leak, patch, and put the tube back in the tire, depending on the tire and wheel you can often do it without tools.

psprat496

Nov 22, 2009
New Jersey
Well I've got Slime Tube Protectors in both my wheels and I have never gotten a flat yet. I also carry around a pressurized can with that tube sealant with me just in case I do get a flat. Fill the tire up and take it home to repair.

Maxvision

Jun 13, 2009
San Diego, CA
Tire liners are a good investment. I've gotten a flat on a motorcycle at high speed. Luckily it was the rear tire and I was all over my lane before I got slow enough to get it to the shoulder. If it had been the front wheel I'm sure it would have been much worse.

Tire liners line the inside of the tire between the tire and the tube and are made of thick plastice that prevents a nail or whatever from getting to your tube.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I use old inner tubes as tire liners, since 2004 and thousands of miles I have only had three flats. And one of those flats was because I was going too fast and missed a corner and went flying across a ditch.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Fly Bikes Cobra Tube

I ran across these tubes that the BMX riders are using. It's a tube that can be changed without removing the wheel.

I thought it would be a interesting product for MB's since it would be a lot easier to change a tube without removing the wheels and chain. Not having to deal with the chain on the road would be a great plus.

I do not know if the tubes come in 24-26", but sure would be cool if they did.

FlyBikes

YouTube - AlansBMX Episode 17

Last edited:

chrisme

May 30, 2009
Maine
I got a flat today... I was riding my mountain bike carrying a car battery because the alternator in my car died, and the ancient battery died not to long after stranding me... flats suck.

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
I knew a kid that filled his dirt bike tube with that green slime stuff then proceeded to but zip screws all over the tire so he could have winter studs, so I was figuring if that green slime worked well enough to keep a tire full of screws inflated it might serve to deter flats pretty well.

stuartracing

Dec 9, 2008
Gainesville FL.
Fly Bikes Cobra Tube

I ran across these tubes that the BMX riders are using. It's a tube that can be changed without removing the tire.

I thought it would be a interesting product for MB's since it would be a lot easier to change a tube without removing the wheels.

I do not know if the tubes come in 24-26", but sure would be cool if they did.

FlyBikes

YouTube - AlansBMX Episode 17
That tube is bad ass....

happyvalley

Jul 24, 2008
upper Pioneer Valley
There are many creative ways to change a flat tire on an MB, but the best solution is to not get one. Buy a really good set of tires and use an x-heavy tube or a tire liner.
I pretty much agree, do what you can to avoid flats. decent tires and thorn proof tubes are well worth it. I also do use a liner on the rear tire but I use rack mounted engines.

A patch kit, tire levers and pump are always with me but that's what I always take when riding pedal bicycles anyway.