Give me a reason not to use Locktite on this

GoldenMotor.com

Sign Guy

Jan 19, 2010
Everett, WA
I hit 120 miles on the engine last week and have been busy installing SBP dual brake lever (Great price, Great Quality, Great Service - nuff said!) and doing other maintenance on the bike. I read somewhere to put a dab of grease on the right side gears every 100 miles so I figured I'd pop the cover and I find this screw rubbing against the case
Picasa Web Albums - bdiver

I'm going to have to read about putting pictures up on this instead of links dang it! Oh well...

I thought I'd ask if this has occurred with others and if the common fix it to locktite that baby on as that's what I'm planning on doing!

wjliebhauser

Oct 24, 2009
Boulder City, NV
Same screw on mine seemed too loose when I checked it early on. I swabbed some blue 'you should be able to get it off someday' flavor Loctite on it. It has stayed put, but I didn't ask first. Hope we don't learn there is some tragic result!

Sign Guy

Jan 19, 2010
Everett, WA
I just put a little "dab will do ya" on there and and took it out for a spin. I'm with Captain Easy, I guess we'll figure it out when we get there! For now I don't want it drilling a hole in my side case so Blue LT it is.

Humsuckler

Jul 28, 2009
Ontario
ah no need to feel dumb. until i looked at the picture i at first expected to see the little flower nut screw as well :)

that one was a lucky catch.

hambro

Dec 22, 2009
Alabama
and alot of people have had trouble with that flower nut screw rubbing against the cover as well thats why I didn't bother to look at the pic at first. But we are here to learn aren't we, which is exactly what I just did, look at the pics before I open my big mouth, lol.

wjliebhauser

Oct 24, 2009
Boulder City, NV
I don't have Loctite stock, but, all joking aside, it is a lifesaver, especially in apps like this where there is a lot of vibration, and things coming loose can be a disaster. In the old days, Loctite was Loctite, and it really worked, as in, broken screwheads when you tried to take it out. But it has come a long way, and now comes in several grades of 'tite.' I'm partial to the blue color for most things.

If anyone reading is not familiar, don't just start slathering on anything that says Loctite. The most common grades you find in local stores are blue, red, and green. Blue is medium, and it perfroms similar to a nylon lock nut, so you can undo it just with more resistance. Red is tough, and I would not put in on anything you want to take apart soon or often; applied as directed to clean steel, it can require a heat torch to break loose. Stay away from the super strong green. It is intended for things you may NEVER want to take apart, and I have seen, especially on smaller size bolts, the need to drill out and retap. Medium blue should handle anything needed on a China bike motor.

Also know that Loctite is a company, and hey make things that have nothing to do with tite, lke, anti-seize, for places like auto exhause manifold studs, which is the opposite of what you need to keep it tight.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
I didn't look but if its the small gears slotted screw. Blue tite and the hand impact driver works even no tite just the hand impact driver works.

I went and looked yes for the lock tite and or very yes for the impact driver.