Just Another Shift Kit

GoldenMotor.com

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
John, Thanks For Sharing. Supremely Done, As Alway`s. I Would Be Available As A Tester. Lol. I Sure Enjoy My Shifter Bike. Ron
Ron, I will let you know how it works out with the 3 speed hub as soon as some of this snow melts. We got a couple more inches last night and Blizzard warnings until midnight.
This winter has been as brutal as I can ever remember! Could be that I am just Getting Old and tired of it. Ready to move to Arizona, where I could ride year round.

John

toker_ace

Oct 15, 2008
alabama
You got the "old" part right! dance1

You know your getting old when you can wait ...............until its nice outside to test it! LOL!
Its kinda like the story my dad always told me about running down the hill to get with one of those cows......instead of walking down the hill and get with ...ALL THOSE COWS!

Last edited:

michaelgrav

Sep 14, 2009
sf bay area
Damn John Thats what I am taling about!
I wish someone would manufacture Jack shaft assemblies a little better. I will never go back to a direct drive.

Prasinos

Dec 1, 2008
California
i was telling a guy at my bike shop about this design. He is big into mopeds and he said that he has heard of people trying English 3 speed hubs on mopeds. According to these people the hubs cant take the torque coming off of the engine.

let us know how this works when you finally get to ride it, it would be really cool if the hub gear works.

If it didn't, of course, i was thinking you could cut off the crank arms, hook the jackshaft strait to your crank gear and use a centrifugal clutch to get you started...

Still i got my fingers crossed for you John!

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
i was telling a guy at my bike shop about this design. He is big into mopeds and he said that he has heard of people trying English 3 speed hubs on mopeds. According to these people the hubs cant take the torque coming off of the engine.

let us know how this works when you finally get to ride it, it would be really cool if the hub gear works.

If it didn't, of course, i was thinking you could cut off the crank arms, hook the jackshaft strait to your crank gear and use a centrifugal clutch to get you started...

They have come a long way with the newer style 3 speed hubs. You certainly wouldn't want to use one of the old style 3 speeds. Those wouldn't even hold up to normal pedaling. I think I will be fine with the new Sram I Motion. If it breaks I will be the first one to tell you.

John

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
John,

Awesome work!!!

For a machinist it is really fun to build these bikes. The possibilites are endless. I'll stand at the mill ,running production so I can stay alive, and look across the shop at a project bike...wishing I could mess with it instead of doing what I'm doing. laff

I think you'll be happy with the I-motion 3-speed. From the information I have gathered; the number one reason for failure, (in any of the multi-speed hubs), is a mis-adjustment of the shifter. The little wire rope, when pulled, moves a slider that engages the planetary set. If the cable travel isn't precise there will only be partial engagement.

Once you are able to start riding check the travel periodically; in-case the main cable stretches.

I'm sure you'll have no problems at all...it's just the nature of things...machinists tend to have a knack for making things right, and keeping them right...;)

Jim

john_the_great

Oct 24, 2009
California

I successfully blew up a shimano nexus 3 speed, i went down a dirt road on a hard tail bicycle and just did 20... bent the shaft and blew out the bearings ... and broke a chain in 3 places. Then again I also blew up a normal derailleur(it wrapped around my sprockt!).... I guess the sbp shift kit wasn't designed for abusive teenagers!