Engine Noise with 62cc

GoldenMotor.com

wes

Aug 17, 2009
Tucson Az
I just finished a build, its a cranny with a 62cc dax motor, my questin is that this motor as well as other motors that i see around town that are less than 67cc seem to make a lot of engine noise, sounds like the bearings rattling but run very well, my oil mix is amsoil somewhere between 32 and 40:1, the reason i say somewhere is due to i already had some gas mixed at 50:1 for my other mb so i added some oil to the tank and shook it, its not to much oil, any one know why these little engines make more noise??? I hope all that makes sense...

Mac

Dec 3, 2009
Maine
Next time ya have it runnin, at idle, clutch in standing next to bike, firmly press on clutch cover... Bet it cuts the noise way down, some folks put rubber "Dampners" in between the fins on the cyl. makes a huge difference. Pirate cycle makes a kit pre-cut.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
As Mac was mentioning, a lot of that "sketchy bearing sound" is coming from the clutch. The gear case cover itself acts as a resonator and amplifies what's already an annoying sound. I quieted mine down quite a bit by coating the inside of just the cover with a few coats of rubberized undercoating ;)

As for why the lil ones seem to make more noise... I think that might just be a random luck of the draw more than anythin' else.

wes

Aug 17, 2009
Tucson Az
Thanks guys, the noise is coming form the clutch side and the motor does have more vibration than i am used to, I am glad it is probly the clutch i can ignore it now!

Bombardier

Feb 3, 2010
australia
part of the reason the larger engine rattles more is because the larger the capacity the greater the heat build up so the more piston to bore clearance needed. basicly the 66 cc engine usually has more clearance betweent he piston and bore than say a 50 cc engine . also you have a larger piston rattling around inside there .my 66 is the same .
the 50 made a grinding noise only when you pulled in the clutch because the retaining screw on the flower nut was touching the side cover only when i pulled the clutch in .i put 2 gaskets ont he side cover and the grinding noise went away

marts1

Sep 18, 2009
Oshawa Ont CA
part of the reason the larger engine rattles more is because the larger the capacity the greater the heat build up so the more piston to bore clearance needed. basicly the 66 cc engine usually has more clearance betweent he piston and bore than say a 50 cc engine . also you have a larger piston rattling around inside there .my 66 is the same .
the 50 made a grinding noise only when you pulled in the clutch because the retaining screw on the flower nut was touching the side cover only when i pulled the clutch in .i put 2 gaskets ont he side cover and the grinding noise went away
Which reminds me my kit actually came with 2 gaskets. Didn't know why till now.:)

wes

Aug 17, 2009
Tucson Az
My bigger 67cc engines have less engine noise, the 62 does have more clutch noise and more general engine noise, the oher smaller engines that i see around town seem to be more noisy as well.