2 cool!!!

GoldenMotor.com

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Tyerslider from firebelly cycles turned me on to this Google SketchUp It is awesome and works really really well!! Not kidding and is perfect for what we do. It is a 3D drawing/rendering program

I have been trying to explain my design for a 2 speed auto MB tranny for months to folks on the phone and in text. Drew it up today in 2 hrs as I was trying to learn the program at the same time/ Can do some amazing things!

Google SketchUp (From their web site)

Google SketchUp 7

Create 3D models and share them with the world

Google SketchUp is software that you can use to create 3D models of anything you like. Build models and add them to Google Earth »

Get started right away.

Most people get rolling with SketchUp in just a few minutes. Dozens of video tutorials, an extensive Help Center and a worldwide user community mean that anyone who wants to make 3D models with SketchUp, can. Check out our training videos »

Model anything you can imagine.

Redecorate your living room. Design a new piece of furniture. Model your city for Google Earth. Create a skatepark for your hometown, then export an animation and share it on YouTube. There's no limit to what you can create with SketchUp.

Get models online for free.

You can build models from scratch, or you can download what you need. People all over the world share what they've made on the Google 3D Warehouse. It's a huge, searchable repository of models, and it's free. Explore the Google 3D Warehouse »

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
I played around a little bit with it last night-

It's wild! I was using photos to make "material" to fill the geometric shapes I was drawing around that little man. It doesn't look likeyou can put in a whole photo- little tiny ones in rows appear and it doesn't look like I can vary their size much- but I haven't explored it.

Anyway, the whole she-bang rotates around and can be looked at and angled in any way- I was zooming way in on one of the photos in the material and then zooming out again, and everything else flying past makes a great sense of movement or travelling past-

I guess this is what they use on a lot of outer space videos, or to make that little guy fly into the television set in that "I want my MTV" one. I'm going to video some of it.

Don't think I could design much with it though- never was good at drafting, and it wouldtake some time to learn to work the program.
You can save the whole thing, and open it up again after opening up the software again.

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
The sizing thing is throwing me too. Can be adjusted greatly, but then I cant find how to. Dunno. Really really like the 360 view stuff. Thats just cool. For a 2 speed auto tranny we are working on, I did this drawing but can't control it. lol. Will work on it. Be wild if we could post these things.

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Sometimes stuff they let you download for free doesn't have all the features working.

I've had some wild visuals float through my brain after just using this a very little bit- I've always been sort of visually-minded. I spell words beacuse I see them written out. I've been a photographer and as a filmaker I've visualized the scenes or visual montage.

But now, I'm starting to MOVE AROUND other objects in my mind's eye. My point of view on a whole scene seems to swoop around more in my mind, like Vegas cam or something. I'm going to play around with it more for that aspect- the things I've drawn are weird othewise.

have you put in text?

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I have. They have some cool stuff and can almost animate it with the spinning 3d. Thats one of the places I am having trouble with the sizing.

Really want to learn this. Be really cool to be able to project ideas. Working on a project and have discussed on phone 4 times and in text dunno how many and just can't make it understandable. My bad, just be great to say, "Here"

Want to try doing my house in 3d Google earth. Some of those are mind blowing

Haven't really had time to devote.

Dang, just tried to post here. No go. Photobucket?

Nope, "invalid file" again. Not that it is good. Has to be a way. gonna work on it.

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
There doesn't seem to be any color grid for the text.

Are you talking about loading a project here? Yeah, it doesn't look they store to JPEG. Maybe if you spend the $250 (was it, or more?) Of couse it would only be two dimensional here. A download to MPEG video seems logical, but not user active. With the same program I guess you can share 3D files.

They seem to have "print" on it though, Haven't tried ito print one out yet or messed with it today.

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Aha! I'm in it now and just found that I can use the scroll button on my mouse to zoom in and out, and pan with the mouse at the same time.

I'm going to shoot some video of my computer screen and see what it looks like. I used to transfer 16 mm film to video like that, so I think it will be pretty cool.

This might be good for storyboarding.