80cc Dual Start question

GoldenMotor.com

hollistev

Aug 26, 2009
Rhode Island
I am in the the process of installing an 80CC dual start engine setup on my bike. The dual start means that it has a pull rope and a centrifugal clutch mechanism. I have noticed that the clutch arm that goes into the chain sprocket area has absolutely no resistance to it, and appears to have no function at all. I can turn it completely around in the block. Does anyone think that this engine setup has done away with the clutch mechanism due to the pull start and centrifugal clutch? Is there really a reason for a clutch cable on a setup like this one, other that to start the bike when peddling? Thanks

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
I also have a 80/66cc dual start. You have a problem. The manual should opperate as on a standared motor. My (guess) is that the manual clutch is way out of adjustment. Did you purchase this motor from BOY gofast?

buzzkill

Aug 22, 2009
atlanta, ga
Pull off the cover that has the lever on it(3 screws) and make sure that the pin that goes into the jackshaft that pushes on the clutch i there, I bet it is missing.

hollistev

Aug 26, 2009
Rhode Island
Thanks guys, on a second check now that I have the sprocket cover off, the center clutch pin does appear to be functioning correctly, and I now get what appears to be normal resistance when I place the cover back on. May have been temporarily stuck in the "in" position. I think I should be ok now. Really appreciate the quick responses. Also included in the kit was a multi-function clutch/brake lever. Kind of funny that they advertise this unit as a "three speed" shift mechanism, when actually it appears to only be used as a normal in/out clutch lever. It does has three individual level settings, but from what I'm seeing, it only will use two of the settings to engage or disengage the clutch. Thanks again for the help........

John-Forrest

Jul 18, 2008
I have a question about this as well. I have been informed that you cannot have a pull-start without a centrifugal clutch. I recently received this dual-start 80 cc engine kit from TheLaShop. It obviously has a pull-start on the left side, but I see no accompanying centrifugal clutch on the right side. (Unless it's built underneath pull-start?) Is it possible to have a pull-start WITHOUT a centrifugal clutch?

Scotchmo

Jun 23, 2009
Los Osos, California
John,
Yes you can have a pull start just as you can have a properly setup centrifugal without a pull start. However in both cases you must have a manual clutch. What bike are you puting this motor on?

Russ
There is an HT style motor available without the manual clutch. It has a pull start and a two-way centrifugal clutch. The more common one-way centrifugal clutch retrofits retain the manual clutch.

Attachments

fall_down_stand_up

Apr 26, 2009
granbury
That is one nice looking engine....Were can I buy one that looks like that?Also I would like to know if the pull start will get in the way of the factory pedals....Would I have to change out to a wider pedal crank setup?Does anyone know of a distributor that sells the engines with just the centrifucal clutch added but without the pull start?I see no need to have the pull start(just more crap on the bike to work on)....
Thanks
John-John

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
I'll bet it does because looking at the kits with pull starts and the centrifugal clutch they come with a wider crank.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
You can also use a crank with shorter arms so that the pedal travels under the pull start mechanism. Should clear the centrifugal clutch as well. How well do thes 2 stroke centrifugal clutches work?
Silverbear