eliminating vibration

GoldenMotor.com

Donbia

Mar 2, 2012
Des Moines, Iowa USA
I never intended to completely stop all of it, but only to make things a bet smother, possibly stop the buzz in the handle bars and such.
Any way other people on this site have done so as well and have not had any problems to this date.
I think it how it's done, not that it can't be done. In some of the cars on the race track, have solid mounts and chains tying the motor to the frame.
the rubber mounts are for the general public that only want to be in another world when they drive. and not for high performance, where braking mounts made of rubber is common.
That is way I am doing it the way I am, to look good, and not brake the mount bolts in the process.
the only way to find out if a idea will work is to try and try again.
But thanks for all the advice given, that what it is all about, no condemning, just encouragement and telling what they have encountered so one can make up there own mind in there quest to succeeded. .flg.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
The rubber engine mount blocks that you'll find on a few motorcycles and most cars are engineered by people with more degrees than I have.
Nevertheless, on my first bike I wanted to find out for myself. I admit to using a piece of BMX innertube between the engine and the frame. It didn't isolate much vibration. In fact, I began getting the impression that, at least with this particular bike, I was feeling more vibration than I should regardless of how I tightened things down. So I spent one night taking the engine all back out, planning the best mounting position, picked up a large-tube engine mount adapter from SBP, and mounted the engine more directly to the frame. This bike was a heavy, steel-framed Micargi Huntington. Without the rubber it vibrated much less - noticeably less.
My current bike, a mid/late '40s JC Higgins has the engine bolted metal-to-metal. Of course, the chain is as well-aligned as I could get it; all bearings are well-lubed; bolts and nuts are tightened down as much as necessary, the tires are kept at proper inflation; etc. I'm not getting a lot of vibration. I just don't think you need the rubber. Maybe padded biker gloves, if you find you need something.

Lazy Dog

Oct 13, 2011
STL
lol, You must have said something about rubber. I've always done it. Didn't on my latest build. Might on my next not for vibe's but for my paint

Honestly it really doesn't help much at all. You will still need to tighten the motor so much and there just isn't enough bushing material it won't really matter. I did figure out something that really worked, Started a whole big issue for mentioning it tho.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I've tried it both way's. Rubber mounted, and solid mounted. Both can work, and both can fail. It depends on a lot of variables.

I have a friend that used car motor mounts for both the front, and rear mounts on his china girl. It looked like it would work great, but in fact vibrated something terrible. I suggested he solid mount the rear mount, and try keeping the rubber front mount. That worked very well, and was smooth riding.

By first solid mounted motor vibrated like a biache. It wasn't the mounts fault, the problem was the crank was badly out of balance.

Now days I like solid mounts, but only after I balance the crank. I wouldn't solid mount a stock motor without doing so.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
I've tried it both way's. Rubber mounted, and solid mounted. Both can work, and both can fail. It depends on a lot of variables.

I have a friend that used car motor mounts for both the front, and rear mounts on his china girl. It looked like it would work great, but in fact vibrated something terrible. I suggested he solid mount the rear mount, and try keeping the rubber front mount. That worked very well, and was smooth riding.

By first solid mounted motor vibrated like a biache. It wasn't the mounts fault, the problem was the crank was badly out of balance.

Now days I like solid mounts, but only after I balance the crank. I wouldn't solid mount a stock motor without doing so.
I've known some Honda car engines that were so well balanced, right from the factory, that I think they could almost have gotten away with solid mounting them.

Donbia

Mar 2, 2012
Des Moines, Iowa USA
Sir you don't really know how meany degrees I do have, there is also degrees in life, that are equal and more then any degree on paper.
With that said, I will consider the advise you gave me. .flg.