Engine starts, but dies when trying to Rev

GoldenMotor.com

highlander9

Oct 15, 2010
Illinois
My brand new HS-142F four stroke starts but dies immediately when I try to rev it. It feels like the engine is choking and loses power when the throttle is opened. I couldn't gauge how much oil I should put in because the dipstick reading instructions for the HS was very vague. I also played with the idler screw on the carburetor, but this doesn't really seem to be the issue; the engine does idle. It simply loses power when I try to go anything above an idle state. What could be the issue here?

Could it be that I put too much oil in?? Okay, ne help would be greatly appreciated...

highlander9

Oct 15, 2010
Illinois
The engine is brand new, so I'd imagine the carburetor is fairly intact. Although I haven't checked for any air leaks since I put in a new air filter assembly. I'm going to try to level out the oil a bit and see if it helps. Otherwise, I'd be coming back for some more pep talk with the more experienced folks. Stay tuned, please!

highlander9

Oct 15, 2010
Illinois
Okay, total newb mistake. I switched the petcock off; that's why it wasn't running. :p I have a Hoot gearbox, and i've been warned about the whine... It sure does give off a loud one! Now for the exterior finishing of my bike such as installing the throttle assembly and maybe making some winter tires for it.

Last edited:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
lol - I'll freely admit I've had that same carb "problem" a couple few times - glad ta hear it was such a easy "fix" ;)

highlander9

Oct 15, 2010
Illinois
Yeah, haha. The bike's got a throttle assembly now. All I have left is to fine tune the brakes and I don't need to overhaul my hubs because turns out they have sealed bearings! :)

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Yeah, haha. The bike's got a throttle assembly now. All I have left is to fine tune the brakes and I don't need to overhaul my hubs because turns out they have sealed bearings! :)
Many of the sealed bearings you can take the likes of a large sewing needle, then gently pry the rubber seal off [Most have]so's not to destroy it, repack the bearing with your favorite grease [a good marine grade is what I use] replace the seal and enjoy:)

highlander9

Oct 15, 2010
Illinois
Yes, I have done that before with sealed bearings. I guess laziness is getting the better of me. But I have new problems I am facing... I have just recently removed the carburetor from the jug because suspecting an air leak. Everytime I would put in extra power, the engine would just die and poof out a small, blue cloud of smoke from the air filter.

It turns out it wasn't just a newb-pet-cock-off mistake after-all and rather something more complicated. I have a picture of the 4 stroke carb+intake here -->

There was a fiber gasket that came with it-->
Also a tube of permatex gasket sealant I am holding at the same time.

My questions are...

1.) Is this where a silicon gasket sealant is applied? (over the black, plastic intake port?)

2.) Should I just use either the silicon or the fiber or both? I want to just use the silicon gasket sealant by itself, as I feel using both the fiber+silicon would just introduce more vectors for air leak.

3.) I didn't do any air leak tests (such as turning the engine on and spraying carb cleaner around the mating regions). I simply went by instinct with this one, because the intake/jug mating region was the only thing I tampered with, while I installed a new air filter... So I'm suspecting that's our culprit giving the air leak. What are any other regions I should suspect??? Could you point them out to me with some kind of diagram, please?? as I am kind of lost with the jargon sometimes (i.e. "manifold," "jug," "intake," etc.)

Lastly, here's a profile of my new project (less the engine), sitting in a lonely, sunday morning light.

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate it!

Last edited: