gas tank rust

GoldenMotor.com

Bob Mac 18704

Jan 24, 2010
penna.
I just purchased a 4 liter gas tank from BGF. I don't know if it's treated yet so what's the name of this stuff you put inside the tank to prevent rust and where do I get it.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
it's called gas, and they have these things called "pumps" that you can drive right up and get some...:)

just kidding.

a tank won't rust if you keep gas in it, unless you let it sit for months and months. just make sure it's clean before you fill it up the first time. a piece of bike chain, about 6-10 links, will knock out any chunks of rust. just drop it into the empty tank, and then shake it up all paint-mixer style, then dump out the chain.

rinse it out with some denatured alcohol and it's good to go.

Kreem tank liner (and other brands) can be used if you want. it's great for custom tanks or older ones that may develop pinholes. it's also good if your bike's gonna sit around and not get used for a long time.

but like i said, the gas, especially a two-stroke mix, will keep the tank from rusting.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Course sand, lead shot or pee gravel also works to 'de-rust' a tank. Pour it in and shake until your arms get tired then rinse with hot water and allow to dry. This will remove any rust that comes from the factory and long storage. Good luck.
Tom

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
If you read all the above very quickly, we have gravel full of pee, a fistfull of nuts, and a guy yankin' his chain. Gotta love this forum. :)