This is kinda like fishin.

GoldenMotor.com

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Ten grand? Whoa. That means I'm a cheap skate. I didn't go much above $700.00, even with the shipping and so on. I ended up with a really cool daily driver though.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Once you get past the ten grand for the boat it's a pretty cheap hobby. I guess I'm just an accessory kind of guy.
LOL, I'm not gonna call you a liar, but.....:-||

Boat and MB? Not even close. Bike accessories and even motorized components are relatively cheap.

Let's not even mention what it costs my nephew for a day's fishing. $200+?

For a day's ride, it costs me...$1.00xct2

Nephew can't ride his boat to work, or park on the 4th floor for free.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
This hobby is as cheap or expensive as you would like to make it. Some dumpster dive for a bike and old weed eater motor. Others spend the bucks on a high performance Morini motor and stretch custom frame. I am amazed by the ingenuity of motor bike builders at both ends of the spectrum.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
My chainring cracked, so I bought 3 different sizes for $5.95-$6.95 each. Also spent $10 worth of nuts and bolts, some stainless.

Spent $20 on running lights, front and rear.

My 4hp engine cost $255. My brother's diesel engine cost $40,000.

My used Diamondback cost $125. It came with front and rear disc brakes.

Scooterguy frame-mount cost $250.

High-performance wheelset cost $160.

Armadillo tires cost $80.

Happy Time expansion pipe cost $75.

So my B-I-L's boat cost over $100K(not including expensive fishing gear) and looks like other fishing boats.

My custom motorized bike cost $1K. It is truly unique.

Absolutely no comparison to a fishing boat.dance1

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Yea, just like with fishing how there's always a new technique or lure to try...
With mb'n there's always a new technique or part to try :)

mb'n is way cheaper though.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
There's an old maxim that I've always loved. "If it flys, floats, f**ks or has wheels, its probably cheaper to rent it than to own it."
Motorbikes seem to be an exception to that. I have 3 bikes and a trike, and combined I've spent less money on them than the rims for my hot rod cost. Go figure.
Tom

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
The cost per usability and fun factor is amazing.dance1

Not as great as the dogs I picked up at the Humane Society, though.

Now MUTTS are great bargains!drn2

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Was getting tax stuff ready and going threw receipts. Wow did I spend some cash. But really and truly a great way to stay out-a trouble. In talking to my much better half this morning, I said I wanted a mini lathe/mill. Cheap one about 700 bucks. (Gonna have to save up for that implement of destruction) I felt guilty about blowing that much cash on a hobby. Her answer; "if it makes you happy" Which I guess is my point here. So far has tought/is teaching math, physics, small engines and bicycle repair. (read keeps me out of the bars, snork)

I always think of the "accessorys" as buying the baby presents. Gotta show em ya love em.

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
2Door said:
"If it flys, floats, farts, or has wheels, its probably cheaper to rent it than to own it."
Rofl 2Door, so true(fixed maybe?) :p

oh yea, accessories keep 'em happy. If not, just wiping the road grime off 'em can give yourself a nice smile.
:)