SPRINGER 29er

GoldenMotor.com

jay sawdust

Aug 11, 2009
kauai,hawaii

I was having trouble finding front suspention for my 700c/29er. I did find some shock type forks after a great deal of digging but very expencive and dident have the look I wanted...all the springers i looked at were for 26" tires...but when i looked at pics of venices' lowrider I saw that the bent springer had pleanty of room for a taller tire.....So i ordered one (26" bent springer)...installed it and It looked wicked....the front dropped about 6-7"...I redrilled the cranks so the peddels wouldent touch in the turns....Then I jumped on and it was totalaly unrideable...By dropping the front so much there was no camber left in the head (being a commuter bike it dident start out with much). I tried to ride it couse it looked so cool but the front just went wherever it wanted.....soooo plan B...I removed the bolt going through the spring and replaced it with a threaded rod....made a spacer from an old seat post and raised the whole front to nearly the hight it was....to my amazement the bike handeled like a champ....It no longer skipped in the corners at high speed on bumppy roads wich was the reason I realy needed suspention.....while I was at it I ordered a slant head..(wow what a differance) got a scooter brake lever that has a brake swich in it....hooked up running and brake light.....I ordered 29"x2" Fat Frank creame colored tires(boy they ride great) and while i was at it gave the whole thing a nice thick coat of black enamel on everything (rust is my enemy..I live on the ocean....no chrome zone)....I Realy Love My bike.....ALOHA ......j

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
very nice looking...H***, it looks great,...is there room to bring the chain Idler down from the top(seat stay?)