tourque from engine pulling rear axel forward

GoldenMotor.com

oldsurfer

May 21, 2010
thousand oaks,,,ca
i have built a tahiti bike..the rear dropouts are angeled front to back..no matter how much i tighten the rear wheel quickly the touque from the engine pulls and moves the rear hub forward loosening the chain...any suggestions????????????lafflaff

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Loc-tite! Or bigger wrenches....or both.
That has to be the silliest help advice I heard here hehe ;-}

Your local bike shop should have these..

I don't know what they are called, they came on the Grubee GT1 bike I recently built and loved 'em.
In short, two offset 'eyelet bolts' that go from each side of your hub bolts to a little brackets at the end of your chainstay groves with 8mm nuts on the end for adjustment.

Just tighten them up first to get your wheel and chain aligned and tensioned perfect, then tighten you hub nuts. They will hold it there.
LockTight hahhaha, some things need to be mechanical first and these things are like magic ;-}

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
I have skewers on My bike and I am going to finally put the motor on during vacation next week..this is something that has been a concern in the back of my mind for a bit.
Cheers

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
Is the large sproket centered real good so when turning the chain does not tighten and loosen as the wheel goes around?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Is the large sproket centered real good so when turning the chain does not tighten and loosen as the wheel goes around?
Corgi1 beat me to it but that was going to be my suggestion. If the sprocket is not concentric with the hub it will cause a jerking action that might be responsible for your wheel moving forward. Check that rear sprocket installation.
Tom

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
Does the chain wip up and down a lot ,I use to pop the rear axles out of the older 3rd member cars by bolting a heavy chain w/the lug nuts and giving it a wip,it worked better/faster than the slide hammer,

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Does the chain wip up and down a lot ,I use to pop the rear axles out of the older 3rd member cars by bolting a heavy chain w/the lug nuts and giving it a wip,it worked better/faster than the slide hammer,
I used to put the brake drums on backwards and leave the lug nuts loose. Makes a great axle puller. Works like a slide hammer but quicker and you don't have to walk to the tool box. :)
Tom

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I have skewers on My bike and I am going to finally put the motor on during vacation next week..this is something that has been a concern in the back of my mind for a bit.
Cheers
Skewers. Is that that what they are called?
Thanks for their name ;-}
Reminds me of the little rods with handles I make my awesome Shish-Ka-Bobs on for the BBQ.
Is the large sprocket centered real good so when turning the chain does not tighten and loosen as the wheel goes around?
(sigh)
That should never be an issue. The hole in the rear sprocket should fit the hub perfectly so it can't 'move around' on the spokes which now are the only drive sprocket support.
Is that a 'cheap kit' item? Beats me, never used one, but it sounds like a nightmare or at least a problem waiting to happen.
1. My drop outs are backwards and angled..
2: I have a hub that has the sprocket on it no spoke drive.
Piece of cake easy if you have a hub mounted rear drive sprocket.
So long as the motor isn't moving around because of a poor front mount a pair of those Skewers should do the trick.

If you don't have a good front motor mount anchor to the bike frame then the motor is going to want to turn left and will, hence loosening the drive side chain as well as chain jump problems when it does.

All you need is some kind of metal piece that goes past the outside of the frame on the right side to stop that.

I just use the extra blocks that come in gasbikes $15 'universal mounting kit' like this.

That sucker can't move any direction ;-}

You using just a single long bolt through the frame for the front mount with distance in between?
If so you will have problems forever.
A drilled hole in a bike frame and a long bolt may keep it on the bike, but it can't support the left tending force of your motor.

bmc_az

May 22, 2009
Tucson,Az
p have qioak releases on my bike with rear ward drop outs ck to make sure its adjusted correctly and is not too long add a washer if need or get the right nuts and make sure sprocket is centered.