How do you maintain your chain?

GoldenMotor.com

psprat496

Nov 22, 2009
New Jersey
Chain recently snapped on me and not sure why. Wasn't going too fast but it just gave up and broke in one of the links. Wondering how you guys maintain your chains. What kind of lubricants? How about tension?

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
LoL secret about lubrication for chains. I used some super synthetic 2 stroke oil chain has no wear looks brand new and rides like brand new, this stuff is so slick you can't even use it for the break in because your engine will never break in. Its the trick for maintaining chains because thats exactly what you want with a chain no metal wear or as little as possible anyway. This oil I have will not wash off with dish soap, it only comes of with orange goop or other similar cleaners, good stuff for chains I swear by it.

Last edited:

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
Tension is still the most likely culprit here though, check your sprocket, my first came bent right from the factory which caused a gnarley tight spot on every rotation, bad news bears there.

psprat496

Nov 22, 2009
New Jersey
Tension is still the most likely culprit here though, check your sprocket, my first came bent right from the factory which caused a gnarley tight spot on every rotation, bad news bears there.
So you think I had to little tension? Cause the chain would bounce around and start vibrating like crazy once I hit 25. I was going 17 when this happened. Anyways, I got a new chain and a couple bottles of lube from my bike shop just to make sure it won't happen again.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I use chainsaw bar oil. 3/4" free play at the middle of the top run, and as other mentioned check for tight spots. If you can't get the tight spot out, get it close and measure it when it's there.

psprat496

Nov 22, 2009
New Jersey
I use chainsaw bar oil. 3/4" free play at the middle of the top run, and as other mentioned check for tight spots. If you can't get the tight spot out, get it close and measure it when it's there.

Well hopefully this sprocket adapter I have coming from MM will solve my sprocket off center issues so I'll be able to have one set tension.