Cold weather riding observations and two questions.....

GoldenMotor.com

donutguy

Feb 4, 2010
PA
First off.....I'm 50 years old and I've been riding bicycles since I've been 4 years old. I live in Central Pa so I end up riding in all four seasons because I enjoy riding so much.Wind, cold, hot, whatever- I ride in it all.

I like it for the exercise and for the views of the beautiful backroads we have here in York County. This is the first year I've had a motorized bicycle and since my arthritis has gotten to the point were it hurts to pedal much more than an hour...it's been a godsend for my mental health.

Ain't nothing like hopping on a bike and going for a quick ride to clear out those mental cobwebs:)

Having said that....riding in 35 degree weather with a motor is totally different then riding in 35 degrees without a motor. Up until last year, riding in the winter meant wearing thin layers of clothing that you could unzip as you warm up....eventually, I'd be riding with all my outer layers packed up in my rack trunk because I didn't really need them.

Riding with a motor however........I darned near froze my butt off this morning.

When you're going 30 mph with a few thin layers and you're not pedaling much.....well, lets just say next time I ride and it's 35 degrees out- I'll be wearing more clothing:) My face was frozen into a permanent poo eating grin :)

My questions.....I have a friction drive Mitsubishi TLE 43cc kit. It will go over 30 mph on flat ground-when I go up fairly steep hills...it will slow down to about 10 to 15 mph with me doing some moderate pedaling effort. Am I hurting the clutch or anything in the motor by asking it to work so hard? As long as I can buy parts-I'd be totally okay with replacing the clutch every once and awhile-I just don't wanna blow the motor up.

My second question- I have my Kona BikeHotRod for sale in the for sale section of the message board and I am asking 400 bucks for it.

They only made them for 2 years and they are pretty rare.....I originally paid almost 800 bucks for it. I am asking 400 bucks for it-I need some honest opinions (even if they hurt)....what is a reasonable price to ask for it?

My feeling is that 300 bucks is the rock bottom price I would go....I'd rather let it sit in my garage and collect dust then sell it for anything less.

I know it would make a totally way cool ride with a motor stuck in there:)

Thoughts, opinions?

As usual..thanks for all the cool postings on the site-this place is a real timewaster! I love it!!!!

dance1

George

Humsuckler

Jul 28, 2009
Ontario
as far as that KONA i'm with you on the price. $300 is a real bottom out. especially if its near mint.

second, cold weather riding. i live in canada, i didnt ride all winter. i ventured out a few times on some real snappers and the main problem was my freezing face. a fullface dirtbike helment with a headsock and a pair of dirtbike goggles was the cure. as far as hands, i preferr welders mitts because you still have the use of your pointer fingers for the clutch and brakes!

professor

Oct 14, 2009
Buffalo ny area
Donut- Have you ever tried drinking cherry juice to relieve arthur - itis? My wife told her 90yr. old mom about it and she is without that problem as long as she drinks some daily.
I also ride in the cold but not very far, full face helmet is great.

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
Amazon.com: neoprene face mask

Here is a great fix for the cold face. I got one a couple of months ago and love it. If the bike doesn't get some funny looks, one of these masks will. I got the wrestler, basically the same as the hardcore biker.

http://www.amazon.com/Wrestler-Neop...r_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=apparel&qid=1267549896&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Hardcore-Bike..._1?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1267549936&sr=8-1

Oh yeah, I don't think you will blow up your engine on hills. Clutches, well yeah eventually.

Last edited:

donutguy

Feb 4, 2010
PA
Yup....I already have a couple of those masks plus all kinds of other stuff to wear for cold temps-shoe covers, arm warmers, handlebar pogies, gloves that have spaces for hot packs.....I guess i just wasn't using my thinking cap this morning :-(

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
Do they make those masks in a summer version? I would love one of those down here in FLA. LOL
I don't know, but I can tell you that you better be sure to take it off before entering a bank or store. I got a gentle reminder from an armed guard's pistol belt as he unsnapped the holder and grasped the handle of his weapon upon my entering. I was in the process of removing it as I walked in the door. I guess I should have taken it off well before the doorway! Some local banks have been hit lately, so I don't blame them. I would have done the same thing if I were in their position.