Adventures in building my bike

GoldenMotor.com

Bmetz

Sep 21, 2009
Indiana
1 bought schwinn link mountain bike from wallyworld $169

2 bought grubee 66cc engine kit from place in van nuys ca. $179 delivered

3 found that frame was too small

4 exchanged for womens frame schwinn tube way too big.

5 returned bike and got money back

6 went to dicks sporting gods and bought diamondback full size frame cruiser with front suspension

7 installed motor kit

8 had chain problems and tensioner in kit was junk.

9 broke chain after 20 min slow riding.

10 bought 41 chain and spring tensioner from tractor supply now works.

11 motor twists slightly need to fabricate better mount

12 not too sure abouth the axle ordering HD axle kit and respoking wheels when axle arrrives

13 replaced 50% of the bolts that came with the kit for good American made ones

14 sparkplug wire not good, replaced with modified chevy sparkplug wire:-||

Bmetz

Sep 21, 2009
Indiana
It was the complete kit with the upgraded carb, big tank, spare parts kit. 25 of that wad for fedex.

I prob will have close to $600 after all is done with adding the upgraded hardware.

Don't want to be late for work cause of breakdown and lose my job.

Bmetz

Sep 21, 2009
Indiana
clutch is adjusted, chain tensioner installed, motor mounts fixed, bent the rim when the tensioner came loose and got tangled in the wheel with the chain.

next step, new wheel and hd axle kit.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
clutch is adjusted, chain tensioner installed, motor mounts fixed, bent the rim when the tensioner came loose and got tangled in the wheel with the chain.

next step, new wheel and hd axle kit.

Here's a sure fire way to keep your chain tensioner from destroying your rear wheel. We have posted this time and time again but guys still continue to install the tensioner with no provisions to keep it from rotating into the spokes. Sorry you had to learn the hard and expensive way.
Tom

Attachments

caprirs302

Jul 6, 2009
Home
Dont waste your time with an axle kit. That bike is screaming for a shift kit. replace your wheel however you want, but spend the extra money to get a shift kit from sick bike parts. Your bike is almost not worth riding without it, and that is not a joke.

Bmetz

Sep 21, 2009
Indiana
I am using thread lock between the parts. Thinking about drilling a
small hole to make it more secure now or fabbing something that clamps to both the top and bottom bars.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I am using thread lock between the parts. Thinking about drilling a
small hole to make it more secure now or fabbing something that clamps to both the top and bottom bars.
If you have access to a welder here's an idea. There have been several brackets made that have been clamped instead of welded too. Whatever works for you.
Tom

Attachments

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
Here's another idea. Get rid of the tensioner completely. It serves no purpose on that particular bike.