Replacing the throttle cable.

GoldenMotor.com

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
OK so the engine started racing and I couldn't adjust the idle with the adjust screw so I thought I would tweak the cable length adjust on the top of the carb. Naturally it twisted right off. Fortunately I have another carb. Unfortunately the cable is way too long and I am wondering how to build a new cable of the right length. More specifically I am wondering if there is any sort of crimp on cable end that will fit in the little notch in the carb. They seem to be made from a shifter cable but I prefer to have some idea what I am asking for before I walk into the bike shop.

:-||

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I've always wondered if you could use a crimp style fishing line weight and then file it down to size?

Anyways, let me know how long Finfan I might have one..for free of course.

bmc_az

May 22, 2009
Tucson,Az
They are kind of a pain to build. depending on the end that goes in the slide.

What ever end YOU MUST SOLDER IT!!!. for a regular sleeve type end feed thur everything and then the carb top etc. clean to remove any oil then spread the little bit of wire that pokes out, flux it and solder. you dont want the motor to swallow anything.

Or the easy way send it to TerryCable in Hesperia CA, they are very resonable.
Over the years they have made a lot of cables for me! Shorter or longer just tell em.

bmc_az

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
I mold most all my own cable ends except for the throttle end inside of the carb I use silver solder and wire on it. Should I post on how to make a cable end? I did some a while back even one post on how to make a down and dirty cable end.
Norman

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
I'd love to see how it is done! Is silver solder necessary or would regular 60/40 solder work? If you've already posted this could you link the thread? I didn't find it when I searched.
Thanks!
permalink #17 photo of throttle end made from silver soldered phone wire. silver solder should not come off if done correctly regular solder I question the strength and if you do a weak soldering job if it comes off through the engine it will go. That's not a good thing to happen.
http://motorbicycling.com/f39/motorized-bicycle-carburetor-install-rebuild-302.html
Norman

Last edited by a moderator:

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
Hmmm.... It looks like Norm edited his answer into my post! How'd you do that? I didn't know you had answered me because I didn't see any new posts to the thread! I did manage to figure it out on my own. For one thing after thinking on it for a bit I realized that regular solder is too soft and regardless of the strength of the joint it would eventually wear away being pulled against the cylinder time and again. I made my end by birdcaging the end of the cable and soldering. I had to trim it down a bit to make it even with the bottom of the cylinder but that was not difficult. The pain was that to assure it was the right length I had to pull the throttle assembly off the bike so I could assemble the cable on my workbench. I now have it all back together but naturally since I disturbed the delicate equilibrium of the system by messing with it I can't get the bike to start! I'll deal with that tonight and if I can't get it working I'll be back whining on another thread! Thanks for the help and suggestions!

scratg

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I had on my first kit a kings motor bike kit . Now Gas bike and kings seam to be the same company? On that kit the throttle finally broke. However one time in a pinch I used a red butt connector minus the insulation , then a yellow one minus the insulation. Both were trimmed to size crimp the red one on first . After that take and fray , bend over and down upon the first crimped piece. [red one] Last crimp the yellow one on top of that. viola dun. On my old Kings throttle there was just enough room inside for this. My new billet aluminum one doest have the room inside. This gives you a chance to use a bike dérailleur cable cut to size. You still have to genitally trim the ball end on that to size on a grinding wheel. Hope that helps someone?

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
It lives!!!!! Turns out one of the wire connectors between the engine and the CDI separated when I was putting it back together. You are officially spared my whining for the evening!

(p)