Help making a reliable motor bike for winter

GoldenMotor.com

Jarred93

Aug 22, 2012
Canada
Hi everyone. First time posting.

I am moving relatively close to school but it's a 45 min walk atleast so I want to make a bike to get me from point a to b without problems and one that will still hold up to Toronto winters.

I have made a kit before, one bought off eBay for 120$, it was for my friend but never worked out so well. The chain tensioner was a really bad one and fell off among other issues.

my budget is $200( with the assumption I can find a bike frame for 20-40$)
My basic questions are:

1) what is the best motor kit for around 120-160 that will hold up in -10 celsius?

2) what is the most suitable style of bike frame to do the conversion on?
3) what should I be looking for in search for a ideal bicycle?

And i guess im looking more towards a mountain bike frame with front shocks.

Thanks guys

Bronze

Aug 12, 2012
New Brunswick
I scored a 600$ trek mountain bike, kinda older style with cantilever brakes and no suspenion forks. But I am changing to vbrakes and a fork with some ummf.. paid 60$.. was like new!!

As long as there is enough clearence in the frame, it is the easiest build. As far as I know the china girls are suppose to work well in cold and wet.

I added slicone around the wires/magneto to make sure no moisture ill ever get in.

Winter tires will cost 100$ and up or you can make your own.

Jarred93

Aug 22, 2012
Canada
Ok sounds good.
how did you use silicone to cover the wires?

And I remember the clutch on the china one was crap, any thing to help that?

For winter tires is what is a good method to making your own?

Is Wrapping zap straps across the tire and the rim a good idea ?

Thanks for the response

Bronze

Aug 12, 2012
New Brunswick
Well with the silicone, I just covered where the black nub was all ready in place on the casing. Wet my finger and push it around until it looks ok.

For bike tires, I have the bookmark on my home laptop.. but I am pretty sure I found it on this forum... I may just buy some instead of make them.. I dont have much spare time..

Rocky_Motor

Nov 14, 2011
Fort Collins & Boulder
Why do you say the clutch is no good? Your friend's may have needed adjusting, but as far as I know, the clutch isn't really an issue with these engines. Maybe if you're trying to start from a stop by using the clutch, in which case you are not supposed to do that. The bike has to be pedaled to start moving even if the engine is running.
I rode my bike in the winter without too much issue. Of course when it's slippery out, it's slippery. You aren't gonna be able to ride normally if there's ice or snow even with snow tires. The china parts aren't built to withstand the cold though. Anything 32 and below will wreck all the plastic parts. The throttle cable will begin to crack (never was really an issue) the throttle itself may break because that frozen plastic can't handle the torque, the spark plug boot may fall apart. But engine wise, it's no problem. It may take longer to start but a few minutes of running and it'll probably run even better in the cold than the hot.

Jarred93

Aug 22, 2012
Canada
thanks for the info, yea i guess the clutch just needed adjustment, but like i said it wasnt my bike and the actual owner didnt like listening to others, just turn the **** out of it and itll go he said. :p

Jarred93

Aug 22, 2012
Canada
I was wondering what can I use to substitute for the crappy plastic chain tenttioner that comes with the 80 (66cc) kits?

I was thinking about using the rear derailer gear from an old bike and drilling holes in the frame/ possibly welding to the frame to attach, and using the screws in the gear system to adjust up and down?

Bronze

Aug 12, 2012
New Brunswick
I was wondering what can I use to substitute for the crappy plastic chain tenttioner that comes with the 80 (66cc) kits?

I was thinking about using the rear derailer gear from an old bike and drilling holes in the frame/ possibly welding to the frame to attach, and using the screws in the gear system to adjust up and down?
I replaced mine, well, just the plastic wheel with a 15 dollar lawn mower idler wheel with bearing I got at a local bearing shop.

Just look for lawn mower idler here is an example of a WONDERFUL one, as long as it isnt too big, most mower idlers will work, they are only a small fraction larger than the plastic wheel...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Racing-Lawn-Mower-Clutch-V-Idler-HD-Bearing-9849-/250355873989

edit/

actually the one i am using is right here at the top of the page 280-016

http://www.beltpalace.com/sn.html

All the ones i have seen have come with a 3/8" bore which is exact fit.

Last edited:

Bronze

Aug 12, 2012
New Brunswick
I am using a similar engine, the flying horse... difference is the carb nt on mine, and the handle bars, that kit looks to have better handlebars aesthetically anyway....

And yea, if you can find a better way to brace the idler wheel on, the better. I have seen a bunch of different ideas on peoples bikes here.

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
i hate to burst your bubble,i recently discovered that the gas powered bicycles are illegal in canada.its a federal law.i was disappointed to discover this,but i doubt theres any way around it.i'm goin to keep riding,but i live out and away from any major city,i will let the rcmp decide what to do when they stop me.

keep watch on the buy and sell sites like kijiji,i saw a set of winter tires for 60.00.
i am not riding in winter,i dont like falling down at a walking speed,nevermind 40 kph.
i would suspect engine will need a richer jet as weather cools down,the sealant around the wiring and maybe a little shielding to keep engine a little warmer.
i was considering throttle control from an atv,thumb throttle instead of twist grip.being canadian,our brains are 1/2 frozen in the winter,riding a bike is almost a normal thing to do.
good luck.

Jarred93

Aug 22, 2012
Canada
i hate to burst your bubble,i recently discovered that the gas powered bicycles are illegal in canada.its a federal law.i was disappointed to discover this,but i doubt theres any way around it.i'm goin to keep riding,but i live out and away from any major city,i will let the rcmp decide what to do when they stop me.

keep watch on the buy and sell sites like kijiji,i saw a set of winter tires for 60.00.
i am not riding in winter,i dont like falling down at a walking speed,nevermind 40 kph.
i would suspect engine will need a richer jet as weather cools down,the sealant around the wiring and maybe a little shielding to keep engine a little warmer.
i was considering throttle control from an atv,thumb throttle instead of twist grip.being canadian,our brains are 1/2 frozen in the winter,riding a bike is almost a normal thing to do.
good luck.
yea eh? damn I really want to make one, my route would be along a major street so i am bound to run into a cruiser, hopefully the cop will realize hes got better things to worry about in a city..shft.

Any idea of the charges if any involved with ridding the bike in Ontario?

if its a small fine under 100$ It wouldnt be that big a deal really. Just want to beable to get to and from school quick and efficiently

thanks

Jarred93

Aug 22, 2012
Canada
wow thats ****ed, I dont understand the laws in Ontario. Its like this province is run by a bunch of Middle aged moms who think sheltering their 14 year olds is gonna stop them from doing what they want.
ARGG!!!

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
the law regarding this is a federal one ,not provincial.the provinces do have their own regulations,i did read somewhere regarding max engine size being under 49cc's
i just cant believe they allow electrics.

Bronze

Aug 12, 2012
New Brunswick
East coast here, they dont really give a turd. As long as I follow the rules of bicycling. I rode by a few cruisers all ready, and in am traffic there is no cops ever.

Jarred93

Aug 22, 2012
Canada
yea i guess thats a good point, Ill do it up, if i get pulled thats that. still saved me money from not having to get bus tickets