can anyone help me id this bike?

GoldenMotor.com

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
I went out to get the sister chopper I had built with my son today an found this oldie in the trash , its obvious what happened next . Any one know what make or year possibly , its rough but mostly all there , an I love the finned front fender an the old headlamp housing is cast an chromed steel.
Gary

Attachments

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
oldroads.com - Vintage Bicycle Database

Look here a search whatever you can.

I see custom spelled on the chain guard, but what does it say on the imitation tank.

Measure Twice

PS been looking but can not zone in with just the words custom very easily.

anyway see this pic

oldroads.com - Vintage Bicycle Picture Database

SpaceLander, just right for putting a engine on that. I suspect it would lower the selling price though:(

A fake motor that is just for sounds that comes out looks like a motor see Mattel

oldroads.com - Vintage Bicycle Picture Database

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Any numbers below Gnu, where the pedal cranks are? (BB) Can Google them. Some times you get lucky and can find a great deal of information.

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
wow thanks for the links an info gentleman, I know its a "TURD" right now . but as a painter I polish turds all the time , an I intend to polish this one . a lil later on sunday I may get some time to really look it over for any more info to be found physically on it . but I been really thinking bout stretchin it an building the wifes trike out of that one , or since its got such a nice patina on it , it would make a sweet rat .
Gary

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Ican't believe it doesn;t have SOME identifying logo- what do the five letters say on the top?

How about the downtube decal?

Does the chainguard say anything beyond "Custom"?

The saddle and the pedals look like things Schwinn- but I can't say they are exclusive- is there a make on the sadlle?

What do the tires say? I think Schwinn may have used an angled rim like that. Judging by the chromed fenders, i'm thinking the later half of the 50's to the dawn of the '60's- just an educated guess- it's just a few years before I'd know otherwise. Anway- it's over 50 years old probably.

It's an unusual frame, and should be nice restored. I'd probably put all newer things except the frame and crank maybe- just because you can get more modern alloy components.

The racks are intersting- Is that a front rack too? Looks like a newspaper boy's hauler.

Last edited:

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
like i said i didnt give it a very hard looking over just rescued from the trash checked to see the major parts were there shot some pics a posted here , tomorrow i want to clean it a bit an look for more info , the only markings on the tank are 5 diamonds an the label on the seat tube is a lil hard to read .

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I don't think it's a Schwinn, although the seat looks like ones found on Schwinn middleweights from the 1960's. The smaller rack fits on the front and was for books and such. I sometimes use a shorty like that on the back (modified) if I need to mount a behind the seat gas tank. Those are sturdy racks. I doubt it's worth a lot of money and would feel free to do whatever you want with it. I think it wants a motor. Nice find.
SB

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
Just "wants a motor?" I think its screaming for a motor an a new life , besides I have always wanted to stretch a curvy frame the right way .(more of a challenge) tossed around the idea of an electric cruizer chopper trike .

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i've seen one of those before. i can't remember what exactly iy is, though, i was thinking sears free spirit or amf from the late 60's, early 70's.

not worth anything, collector-wise. it was a low-cost department store bike. might not be the strongest choice for a motorbike, but should hold up as well or better than any walmart bike.

a coupla years ago i bought a box of those gas tanks, NOS, like 10 of them, for really cheap, like 25 bucks or something. i sold them all off for 10 times what i paid for them. never knew until now what they came off.

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
thats cool , Bairdco . as it sits it may be a bit weak of which ever way I go , but after I reweld all of its joints it will be strong enough .

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
Ok heres all I could find on it thats ledgible . on the seat tube the lable seems to read new york an thats it , surprizingly its id numbers are flawless an read R64071887, there are 5 diamonds on the tank , the obvious custom on the chain guard ,on the back of the seat it reads messinger . made in usa .
I even took the padding an cover off the seat looking for any clues but no help . it has bendix coaster brake rear . Thats it .
Gary

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
No I really doubt that it could even be '60's unless at the beginning- the serial number could indicate 1964- but it is then very retro for then- they had gone to a little lighter design and more swept by then and 26 x 1.75 tires-

The tires here look like 1.75 but then the wide fenders look like they may be designed to at least accomodate a 2.25- The chain guard is a little clunky, and something they scaled down a lot later.

I'm still thinking mid to later '50's - even earlier, but they could have made that design and/or sold stock for awhile- This is not sonmething you'd have seen new anywhere in the '70s.

Don't think it's AMF- They raced those in the Little 500 before my time and I never saw a frame like that.

Columbia maybe with the stars and sheild. I had a 20" JC Higgins that may have had a sheild likethat before it got repainted.

Last edited:

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
Thanks for your effort Nash , my searches turned up zilch, its getting chopped for a new life , not in other bikes though.
Gary